Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to a free 2002 6.0 out of a 3/4 ton silverado.
What block/heads are these? lq9? lq4?
Thinking of putting this into my 1990 LX
Thoughts? Advice? I like the idea of fuel injection.

·
Registered
75 Posts
it is going to be an lq4, which is a lower compression lq9. still a great engine, same rods, crank, block, heads, intake, etc. as the lq9 just different pistons.

i am balls deep into a lq9/coupe swap right now and i just have to say, be ready to spend more then you plan. i am doing an lq9, th350 w/sbc converter (and gm adapter), 4th gen lt1 radiator and fans (thicker then the ls1 radiator and bolts in perfect), 351 swap headers with ls1 flanges welded on, aje k-member and crossmember, custom driveshaft, custom pcm with modified stock harness, and the list goes on. there are cheaper ways to go fast, but i am a die hard gm guy and picked up a coupe roller that has over 10k in just suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, and cage so i plan to make some serious power.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very Cool! So, could I use the stock longblock with a cam swap and make any kind of power? Looking to stick with fuel injection. BTW it's going into a very light hatch roller that I built.

·
Registered
962 Posts
it is going to be an lq4, which is a lower compression lq9. still a great engine, same rods, crank, block, heads, intake, etc. as the lq9 just different pistons.

i am balls deep into a lq9/coupe swap right now and i just have to say, be ready to spend more then you plan. i am doing an lq9, th350 w/sbc converter (and gm adapter), 4th gen lt1 radiator and fans (thicker then the ls1 radiator and bolts in perfect), 351 swap headers with ls1 flanges welded on, aje k-member and crossmember, custom driveshaft, custom pcm with modified stock harness, and the list goes on. there are cheaper ways to go fast, but i am a die hard gm guy and picked up a coupe roller that has over 10k in just suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, and cage so i plan to make some serious power.
Just an fyi, a 5.0 radiator will work. stock 5.0 upper hose cut and modded a little and a 2.3 stock lower hose. stock 5.0/5spd driveshaft will work with a turbo 350 with long tailhousing. Just get a conversion ujoint and a th350 yoke. stock trans crossmember will work also with a modified t5 mount. Mines done and this is what I used.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All great info! Planning on doing the AJE kmember and kooks headers.
What would be a good choice for a efi intake if I use the L92 heads?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats the best way to buy L92 heads? Bare or complete? New/used? What should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Whats the best way to buy L92 heads? Bare or complete? New/used? What should I expect to pay?
i researched l92 heads, and i decided to go with some prc stage 2.5 cnc ported heads instead... it came out to be about $350 cheaper that way to have a comparable head given the info that is out there. don't forget, with the l92 heads you need new intake rockers (might be exhaust, i dont recall). the intake valve is bigger and heavier. and the exhaust ports are "smaller" than the cnc ported stock casting budget heads. it seemed to me that the guys with real well running l92 headed motors had to fly cut the pistons for the exhaust valve(cam grinders had it open longer). at least the guy that i was researching his combo did.

take this at face value, do you own research before you come to any conclusions.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do the PRC heads go for? Seems the l92 are around $500 bare/pr

1 - 15 of 15 Posts