Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GT has recently been sitting for a while and I stupidly let it sit too long without starting it. Well I’m paying for it now I’m that it won’t crank. When I connect the battery and go to start it, I get a click and an initial turn of the starter enough to turn the belt an inch or so, then I lose all power. And if I turn the key off and pull it out then go to restart it again I still have to power, no radio, fan anything. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it I’ll get the radio and fan(a/c) again till I go to start then I’ll get one click and no power.

I don’t have the theft light showing up on the dash during the cranking, and it’s a brand new starter and I’ve had the battery tested, as well as hooked up my truck to it for added juice and I still get the same thing. Both the old and new starter are doing the exact same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
engine is seized?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it’s not, I freely turned it with a breaker bar no problem, minimal resistance. I turn it about half a turn with the bar and no problem.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
what electrical measurements have you made while trying to crank?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Before throwing parts at it, start with a voltage drop test. Like Indy is suggesting, you gotta make sure your getting full voltage to all components. That will rule out all electrical components and connections. A good battery won’t crank a good starter if you got a bad connection or cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven’t had a chance to do a voltage drop test yet. I need to get a hold of a multimeter to do that, but that would be running from the positive on the battery to the b terminal on the solenoid correct?

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
I haven’t had a chance to do a voltage drop test yet. I need to get a hold of a multimeter to do that, but that would be running from the positive on the battery to the b terminal on the solenoid correct?
Yes, and do do the same for the neg side of the circuit

The starter body is the ground

So one lead on it, and one on batt neg post

Remember, key must be in crank to get proper results

Now that you know where the leads go, what do expect to see, before doing the test?

Knowing what you need to see, before the test is key

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now this is an assumption, I’ve got a lot to learn for the electrical side of things. But I’m assuming from the batteries static voltage you would want less then a .5 voltage drop from the batteries normal reading to the reading during the test?

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
You are measuring for the drop on the conductor, nothing to do with battery voltage

You dont care what the battery voltage is

The neg side might be higher, as it loads with current, but you have a good start there

Now start testing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts