Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys find your 2 and 4 guage cable at? I can only find it in the amp installation kits (60 bux for like 15feet) or I found some 2 guage at Northern 50bux for 25feet. Is there anyplace that just sells it by the foot? I gotta upgrade my alt wiring and figure I'll upgrade all the main power and ground wires while im at it. Maybe i'll glue some pennies togeather....

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I gotta break out the yellow pages. Welding supply shops should carry it also? I was surprised lowes/home depot dont carry it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Lowes carries it in there electical department. The one near my house has it on this giant rotating thing that has every cable on it imagineable. The only thing is, their 2 and 4 gauge cable has very thick strands which is not pliable at all. Welding cable has lots of thin strands so it bends easy.

I would check out some welding supply stores. I'm going to look into them next week and see what I can find. My biggest concern is finding lugs/terminals that can be attached to the ends of the cable. I don't want to have to buy copper tubing and then hammer it and all that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any stereo shop or boating supply store will have it as well. The stereo shops around here all vary in price from $2.50 to 5.00 a foot for 1 gauge. The boat supply store will be more expensive but the cable is a better grade being pre-tinnned.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Terrible Juan said:
Lowes carries it in there electical department. The one near my house has it on this giant rotating thing that has every cable on it imagineable. The only thing is, their 2 and 4 gauge cable has very thick strands which is not pliable at all. Welding cable has lots of thin strands so it bends easy.

I would check out some welding supply stores. I'm going to look into them next week and see what I can find. My biggest concern is finding lugs/terminals that can be attached to the ends of the cable. I don't want to have to buy copper tubing and then hammer it and all that.
I saw you grounding guide and thats what got me motivated. I saw the lugs at northern in the welding section.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Oh OK. Yea, we don't have those around here. Looks like a pretty nice store. I was disappointed to see that Lowes didn't have any large cable lugs anywhere. I tried looking in their welding section (a few small welders and torches, yay!) and electrical department but no luck. Going to start calling some welding supply stores now. :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
87vert said:
I guess there only around here. Yea its like a hardware store kinda like ACE hardware. http://www.northerntool.com/
yeah i believe northern tool is only right around the east coast.

i would find a car audio store or even best buy or circuit city they sell it. just ask one of the guys in the car audio dept. and they will get it for you. i believe i just paid $11.00 for 8 ft. of 8 guage wire.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
SLPracing00 said:
yeah i believe northern tool is only right around the east coast....
They got one where you live:
Charlotte, NC
9401 Statesville Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28269-7643
Phone: 704-494-0980
Hours: Mon-Fri 8 to 7, Sat 8 to 6, Sun 10 to 5

Stores all over:
http://www.northerntool.com/retailstores/

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I bought the 4G ring terminals at NAPA-not sure if they're in Va though, welding shops seem to have the most reasonable prices on the heavier gauges. I got worked over at the stereo joint I think (1.89 ft for 4G)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I just called around and found a welding supply shop. It took a few phone calls, mainly because all of the places I called were custom welding shops, so they didn't sell actual products and supplies. I finally asked one of the welding shops for a local place to buy power cable and stuff and he gave me the phone number and address. Thank god that is over with. Now I have a nice shop to buy all my electical cable and lugs from!

Oh, and we have NAPA over here. Most of those automotive chains don't carry lugs any larger than 2 gauge though.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I got a little crazy and reterminated the alternator wire and built a wire for the starter after this thread. I'm looking forward to relocating the battery to the trunk also.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
5driver0 said:
I bought the 4G ring terminals at NAPA-not sure if they're in Va though, welding shops seem to have the most reasonable prices on the heavier gauges. I got worked over at the stereo joint I think (1.89 ft for 4G)
Hmm one just opened up about a block from my work. The audio shops I have been to charge about 2bucks a foot for 4g. I might order from the website suggested seems to be good prices. get myself 25foot of red and black. Should the power be larger than the ground? Like 2g power 4g ground or the other way around. or would 4g be fine for all. or cough up the money for 2g on everything.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Blown88GT said:
They got one where you live:
Charlotte, NC
9401 Statesville Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28269-7643
Phone: 704-494-0980
Hours: Mon-Fri 8 to 7, Sat 8 to 6, Sun 10 to 5

Stores all over:
http://www.northerntool.com/retailstores/

i know this maaaaan. i didnt know they had that many stores though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts