Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just changed out my front control arms to a set of '94 Cobra arms (I have an '81 Capri) to gain a little track width. Needless to say, I need to run at least -2.8 degrees of camber to get the tire not to rub at full compression. I only drive about 100mi a month and no racing. How quick am I going to be going through tires or should I be ok?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I usually monitor mine, and flip the tire on the rim when i'm noticing a change from inside to outside.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You should be fine. I've been running about the same camber on my mustang for a while with no real extra wear.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
I agree that toe is the major tire wear culprit, but 2.8 degrees is excessive on the street, IMHO. The tires will wear into conicity and they will tramline.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tramline=following the grooves in the street? If so, already had that :rolleyes:

Would the recommended toe be 1/16 or an 1/8?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Neither actually.

I am running a D&D unit which I hate!!! They say it is a street unit but the way the FOX control arms were sucked in I don't believe it. Upon initial install the rear two pairs of bolt holes were spread so far apart that I had to use a rachet strap to pull the back of the k-member together to get it to fit. Also, the rack studs are about an 1/8 off center of the actual rack and pinion holes which make taking the rack on and off impossible. Plus the powder coating has already chipped off nicely. Enough of that.

I originally ran '87 FOX GT arms with X2's, urethane bushings, AND 1/4" spacers to keep the tire off the coilover spring. The wheels and tires are 18x9 Cobra Y2K with 5.95bs and 24mm offset wrapped in 255/35BFG KDW2's. At -1.3 camber with the spacer I had about 1/2" or more area between the top of the tire and the inner lip of the fender.

Now, with the SN95 arms, X2's, stock rubber bushings, and NO spacer, I have to run -2.8camber to get the tire to barely clear at FULL compression (we are talking top of rim stuffing all the way up to fender lip). Yet, I like the wider track for sure.

I think that this D&D k-member needs the SN-95 arms just to get the car back to stock FOX track width or slightly wider. I will buy the good stuff next time around.

I kind of wish I would have made a smaller rim choice up front too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts