Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original setup had 3.27s. Somehow, I managed to snap the shaft and break the spider gears and mess up the differential case and pierce the back cover of the rear. The ring and pinion did not seem messed up but they were distorted. After replacing the carrier and bearings and still getting horrible noises, I threw in a set of 2.73s that I had from my 97.
Reused the pinion shim. Ford for Ford fit fine. The noise went away but now I have these totally obnoxious gears combined with a 2.97 first on my tranny.
Got a used set of 3.27s and finally got around to changing them. Again using that same pinion shim. Again success. Forgot how nice they were. You do have to get on it more in low gears to make boost but it is so snappy in comparison.
So psyched had to post it.
It is terrible but this home built turbo gets better mpg than my built 4V with the D1 AND it has a faster feel to it (with the ungodly low end torque). It would be interesting to race those two cars.
Erich

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somehow I thought I would have trouble finding volunteer drivers.....;)
Erich

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Love my 3.27's - they took place of the 3.73's :D

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
yeah on a turbo the 3.27's are awesome. im sure you see a huge difference

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a '91 Vert AOD with 2.73's... and she's BONE STOCK! Talk about a dog. I'm putting on a turbo kit after the first of the year and was planning on keeping the 2.73's. Are they that much worse than 3.27's in a turbo application?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a '91 Vert AOD with 2.73's... and she's BONE STOCK! Talk about a dog. I'm putting on a turbo kit after the first of the year and was planning on keeping the 2.73's. Are they that much worse than 3.27's in a turbo application?
There is a huge difference. Not that it won't be fast with the 2.73s but it is way crisper. Also with a 5 speed, you can actually use 5th. You want to match your trap speed to your gears-I mean vice versa.

I run BFG drag radial 275-15s. It blows them off bad. For everyday driving-my winter tires are 225-15s Also run 225-55-16s. All my tires suck for this car. Someday hoping to get Mickey thompson drag radials in 275-15.
Erich

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Are the 355's i installed going to kill me with stock tires? I know it wont hook now, but later with Micky T's?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!
Some people run 3.55s. Anyway-2.73 to 3.27 is about a 20% difference, 3.27 to 3.55 is less than 9%. Depending on where you make your power too.
Erich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts