Ford Mustang Forums banner

2.3 foxbody won't start

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  toddturbo 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
The novice is back in search of some much needed advice. It all started yesterday. I poured a little fuel system cleaner in my car and later that day I noticed my car wouldn't accelerate the way it normally would(2.3😂 I know). That passes and it seemed to be fine until this morning I took the cart for a spin and it cut off on me and wouldn't start. I sat there 30 mins trying to get it to start and finally it started but ran really bad. I managed to get it home and now it won't start again. Fuel pump, crank position sensor, ICM????

#2 ·
you need to do some diagnoses.

pull codes first.

do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? If yes, what is your fuel pressure as measured at the fuel rail? If under about 35-40 psi (engine off), there is some likelihood that the little rubber hose between the pump and hanger has split. OR perhaps the pickup filter (aka "sock") is plugged or just falling apart. If fuel pressure is correct (35-40 psi), then check your fuel for water.

fuel system cleaners are mostly worthless in a fox body. Worthless in any well-functioning car to be frank. I've seen them cause more problems than they solved.

IRCM only contains relays for the fuel pump, fans, a/c compressor, etc. so if you hear the fuel pump run, the IRCM is working. With that said I had an IRCM die on me, luckily near a junkyard so I grabbed one and installed it, came from a Turbocoupe thunderbird. It works fine. I took the original IRCM apart and found that the circuit board had a burnt trace. Repaired it and it works now. Kept for a "backup".

#3 ·
most likely plugged fuel filter and/or fuel pump sock

fuel cleaner is about the worst thing to add, unless you have added since day one of owning it

put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail, and confirm

Reactions: BlackBeavis
#5 ·
Hey guys I actually changed the fuel filter and the car started and ran well enough to drive it from the end of the driveway to the inside of my garage. I let it run for 20 minutes cause I thought the problem was solved and I just wanted to let the gas flow for a while. I cut the car off and it wouldn't start. I changed the sock today and same thing. I did pull the oil stick out and sure enough it smells like gas so I know I need to change the oil before I run the car again but is it pretty safe to say my car won't start now because the plugs are wet? I tried to buy a scan tool and the guy at AutoZone said the one they have only works on cars 1995 and up...

On a side note: the car ran absolutely terrible as I let it idle after I got it started before it stopped for the last time. I even noticed the crank pulley was wobbling and the timing belt is sitting toward the front of the gear it sits on. Can you guys shed some light on this

#15 ·
Hi, first post. I have an 86 SVO and recently did a clutch job and new plugs, wires, It drove for a week fine so I know I didnt do anything wrong under the car and then I changed the cap and rotor and I get to the end of my road and it just died, pushed it back home, no spark, new coil, still nothing. Im not sure how it drove up the road just fine and then died, every other post is saying it won't start right off the bat when replacing cap and rotor.

#17 ·
on a 2.3t that is the first thing I think of when I hear of the symptom "ran fine just died no spark". That and timing belt.

I have been through it too, 84 svo and then 85.5 svo later on. Lost the teeth on the dist gear and aux gear. Pretty common as i understand.

pull dist and turn the engine over. does rotor turn? If yes, look further. If no, you likely found the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.