Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time at the track I started having a head gasket issue, blowing coolant out the overflow on the track. 95 GT 5.0 with AODE. Since I have to tear down the engine anyways, I have been looking for an inexpensive way to supercharge it. Using an Eaton off of an 03-04 Cobra and making adapters to mount it on my 5.0 seems like the lowest cost way to go. I am a machinist by trade so getting it to bolt on and set up is no worry but I do have a few other questions.

1. I currently have 30lb injectors. Will they be enough? It is still a stock block/lower end so I am only planning to use 6-8 psi boost.

2. Will my 75mm throttle body work/be enough?

3. I have a 195lph fuel pump, is that enough?

4. I am switching to ARP head studs and I already have a set of Fel-Pro Perma-Torque MLS gaskets # , good enough?

5. The blower has a built in by-pass with a vacuum operated actuator, what is the proper way to hook it up?

The blower will be here this week and I plan to start right away on making the adapters needed. I hope to be running by April 20th. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
In 302 you have no room for intercooler, so you lose some power. 112 is made that way it is very difficult to build intercooler outside.
I had 30 lbs injectors in my old 302 Cobra, and it made 275 rwhp, and injectors were near the limit. I suggest 300 lph pump and bigger injectors, Late Tbird SC has 36 lbs, but it wont harm if you get decent biggers.
Stock studs are enough with mls-gaskets. Bypass is controlled by vacuum after throttle.
75 Tb is good.

I build 4.6 32 valve + 112 for my Cobra, I'll install 340lph pump and I have 54 lbs GT500 injectors for it.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
First, sell that blower you get and buy a pro charger or a vortech. I wouldn’t bother with all that work for just 6-8lbs of boost. But hey that’s me. I think you’d be better off.
I’d also get some 60lb injectors at least. You don’t want to play with fuel. My last 2 cars were stock blocks pushing 14-17lbs boost and 500-575rwhp. So don’t worry about breaking your block.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Last time at the track I started having a head gasket issue, blowing coolant out the overflow on the track. 95 GT 5.0 with AODE. Since I have to tear down the engine anyways, I have been looking for an inexpensive way to supercharge it. Using an Eaton off of an 03-04 Cobra and making adapters to mount it on my 5.0 seems like the lowest cost way to go. I am a machinist by trade so getting it to bolt on and set up is no worry but I do have a few other questions.

1. I currently have 30lb injectors. Will they be enough? It is still a stock block/lower end so I am only planning to use 6-8 psi boost.depends on if you use a fmu or not.

2. Will my 75mm throttle body work/be enough? yup

3. I have a 195lph fuel pump, is that enough?imo, not really but it could work if you cant spring for a $100 255lph

4. I am switching to ARP head studs and I already have a set of Fel-Pro Perma-Torque MLS gaskets # , good enough?studs are over kill but i like overkill.

5. The blower has a built in by-pass with a vacuum operated actuator, what is the proper way to hook it up?not sure, but i'd wager you need it to see boost and vac probably from the intake manifold

The blower will be here this week and I plan to start right away on making the adapters needed. I hope to be running by April 20th. Thanks for any help!
Good luck!A new V3 SCI will get you what you want for under $3k and be a whole lot easier, just saying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will it help that much

I just bought a neglected 62,000 mile 05 GT with a V2 Vortect Procharger on it. The engine is locked and I imagine a broken crank from running too much boost on a stick 4.6. Not knowing what for sure happened and if the cylinder walls may have been damaged or even a head and not having anyone including a Hotrod shop that wanted to pull my engine out because they all say there are too many connections and too complicated but they are putting GM LS engines in everything that moves. I probably made a big mistake but I bought a running barely 4.6 Police Interceptor Engine out of a 08 Crown Vic Police Car. I have an engine builder who is a legend and has been building High Performance Engines for almost 50 years, How much potential HP have I given up going from a three valve engine to a two valve engine? The plan is forged crank and rods, High Compression Pistons, as hot of cam as can be run on the street and ran wide open on a 1 mile track. Are the PI Heads any good and don’t you have to use them in conjunction with the factory intake or can you use an aftermarket intake. Any chance of getting 350-375 HP out of this engine?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I just bought a neglected 62,000 mile 05 GT with a V2 Vortect Procharger on it. The engine is locked and I imagine a broken crank from running too much boost on a stick 4.6. Not knowing what for sure happened and if the cylinder walls may have been damaged or even a head and not having anyone including a Hotrod shop that wanted to pull my engine out because they all say there are too many connections and too complicated but they are putting GM LS engines in everything that moves. I probably made a big mistake but I bought a running barely 4.6 Police Interceptor Engine out of a 08 Crown Vic Police Car. I have an engine builder who is a legend and has been building High Performance Engines for almost 50 years, How much potential HP have I given up going from a three valve engine to a two valve engine? The plan is forged crank and rods, High Compression Pistons, as hot of cam as can be run on the street and ran wide open on a 1 mile track. Are the PI Heads any good and don’t you have to use them in conjunction with the factory intake or can you use an aftermarket intake. Any chance of getting 350-375 HP out of this engine?
Probably want to start your own thread. Not polite to steal another’s. You’ll get more help if you start your own.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
if you can build it cheap, i would do it. You may even make a little money off of it if you decide to sell it.

If you stay around 300ish hp mark, those parts may actually work. I would probably stay closer to 6lbs of boost.

The gaskets and studs are probably overkill. If the heads can come off of studs without hitting the brake booster, I may go ahead and do it. As for the gasket, I used a 9111 felpro and had great success. Lots of other members have as well.

I would want a tuning chip to use with it.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
But why go through all that for 300hp? That’s a good amount of work for just 6lbs boost and only 300hp.....but of course to each their own. Respectfully.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, sorry to start this thread and then be gone all week. Ok, thanks for the replies but....

In 302 you have no room for intercooler, so you lose some power..........

I had 30 lbs injectors in my old 302 Cobra, and it made 275 rwhp, and injectors were near the limit.......
I know about the intercooler issue. I plan to mill off the intercooler mounting flange so I can keep my adapter plate thinner and the blower closer to the engine.
Are you sure they weren't 24s? I can't remember what my tuner told me but it was a lot more than 275whp you could get with 30lb injectors

First, sell that blower you get and buy a pro charger or a vortech.

Good luck!A new V3 SCI will get you what you want for under $3k and be a whole lot easier, just saying.
Thanks for your replies and answers. You guys have deeper pockets than I do. I will be way under 1k with this set up then will only need it tuned which the car needs anyways. I would really like to put a 6-71 on it with an Enderle Birdcatcher with EFI but I don't know how to get it to work with the 95's computer besides not being able to afford it.

@SNK VNM Hwat does the FMU do and why does it make a difference on injector size? Right now, no I do not have one and was told I did not need one,just a good tuner.

if you can build it cheap, i would do it. You may even make a little money off of it if you decide to sell it.

If you stay around 300ish hp mark,

I would want a tuning chip to use with it.
But why go through all that for 300hp? That’s a good amount of work for just 6lbs boost and only 300hp.....but of course to each their own. Respectfully.
Where are guys coming up with 300hp? My engine is already at 300whp now. For me this is the cheapest way I see to go. All of the materials and fab work cost me $0 + time. The blower was $475(only 50 miles on it), I will have to buy a belt, crank pulley and tensioner plus what we deem absolutely necessary here.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I assumed since you are not up front about what you have. I am one of the ones that is not a mind reader.

to answer your question, no. #30s will not be a enough. You could raise the fuel pressure and go past the recommended duty cycle to get more out of them. Here is a general formula you can follow:

300 (HP) x 0.5 (BSFC) / 8 (Number of injectors) x 0.85 (duty cycle)

your bsfc will be around .65, since you are supercharging it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I swapped Tbird SC injectors to my 302 Cobra, originally it had 24lbs. It shouldn't effect power, but I got better drivability with those, more torque.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
My 300hp comment was directed towards TrimDrip. Telling you to keep it at the 300hp mark. Not sure who would boost an engine, just to keep it at 300hp...
given that you already have everything and you can fab whatever needed, I’d absolutely go for it. Especially if you’re ok with the results. 6-8lbs boost isn’t going to do a whole lot, but it will 100% do something for you!
A FMU helps supplement undersized injectors, basically. I refer to it as a band-aid fix. The proper way to do it, is buy bigger injectors and ditch the FMU. Buy 60lb injectors. Boost is addicting, so keep in mind, that 6-8lbs boost isn’t gonna be enough for you and you’ll want more. You’ll see!! Boost is awesome

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I agree, it is a lot of work. For everyone else, it is a lot of money. But, people used to put entry level superchargers on their cars all of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
All things aside, I think it’s an awesome idea. It’s different. As long as the OP understands what he’s getting, then it’s all good. It looks and sounds pretty good, I’ll admit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My bad, I should have stated what I have for a set up now and where I would like to be with this blower on it.
I didn't get to dyno the current set up before developing a head gasket issue (caused by a stuck thermostat/overheating). Based on the previous set up and the changes made, it should be just north of the 300whp mark. I was thinking this should get me over the 400 mark. My lower boost number is because I AM worried about the block since so many say it is weak.

As a 30 year toolmaker/machinist, I don't see this as a lot of work. Fairly quick and simple actually compared to many parts I make. I am even considering making my own low-profile distributor since I can't find any available on the market.

So my main extra upgrades I need are bigger injectors and possibly a larger fuel pump. Thanks for the info, I will post some updates as I make progress on this project so be sure to look if this thread pops to the top again in the next couple of months.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
It’s absolutely attainable, but don’t be afraid if you make more power. That stock block should hold up fine. Just don’t scream her to 7,000rpm all the time. For you, it’s absolutely worth doing and I can’t wait to see it! And hear it.
100% ditch the FMU and buy Siemens Deka 60lb injectors and a fuel system/pump to match. Injectors/fuel system is not an area to be messing around. Will definitely be following!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I made 390hp with a kenne bell 1.5 and meth kit on a 2000 mountaineer engine. Stock mustang cam, upgraded valve springs, and cobra rockers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts