Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I seem to remember this being a common problem years ago with the 1994-1995 mustangs and it has finally happened to me. I can pull the headlight switch out, and the headlights/tail lights will still work. All the gauges still work. Now, I've turned the dimmer switch full left, and full right, the dome light still works. I've checked every single fuse in the fuse box under the dash, and in the engine bay, both are all good. I assume there is a short somewhere in the dimmer/headlight switch because last week the dash lights went out, but then the next night they worked.

How would I go about solving this problem? Would I need to physically take the headlight switch out, and follow the electrical lines? Any help would be appreciated as this problem has got me stumped, and annoyed at the same time.

·
Registered
22,428 Posts
if you had a short, you most likely would have blown a fuse, or the lights would stay on and not be able to shut off

since you have neither, you most likely have an open

the lights need a power and ground

looking at your wiring diagrams, find where the power and ground is going, then use your test light and find the open

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well last night I wanted to drive my Mustang at night, but then I remembered my dash board speedometer lights didn't work.

So, this is what I did, I turned the headlight knob full turn's left to right for a few times. Then I eventually began to see a glimmer of light... then the dash got brighter than ever before. I'm not sure if there is an open in the system, or if the contacts in the switch became corroded over time, and I just knocked off the corrosion by twisting the knob several times.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no light is an open
I did not mean to imply that the light itself is an open. However, I was merely suggesting that there might be an open in the system like you previously mentioned.

I'm not sure what else would make the lights randomly turn off, and on. I don't claim to be an expert electrician at all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not suggesting

if there is no light >>>> THERE IS AN OPEN<<<<period

how easy is that
Alright, well the only thing I need is time on the weekend to track it down. I'll post the results of what I find if I can ever get a good weekend to do it.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Had a similar problem with a Foxbody once. Was kind of a known problem. Needed a new Rheostat (dimmer switch).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts