Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there is a guy selling a 2.1 kenne bell non-bypass supercharger locally and I was thinking of picking it up, the car is just a street car and I've heard they're a blast. I've already got it setup for nitrous so everything has been upgraded for the extra power. Problem is his is off of a stock 95 and I have a ported cobra intake on my car, I can swap it back to stock if I have to but I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the other lower intakes out there (trick flow, edlebrock etc) will work with a kenne bell? I don't want to choke it off there if I don't have to. Any advice would be helpful

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
You will want to use the GT40 lower you have, even if that means buying another KB discharge plenum.

I'm going to be fabricating the parts to mount one on my Explorer, and the GT40 intake is too small for my taste(and the custom labor anyway). So a TFS R lower is my choice, add a plenum for an IC, over to the KB, and it'll be what they should have made for the SBF kits.

With the stock/GT40 intakes, keep the boost down to keep the IAT's manageable.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kenne Bell made them for both stock GT intakes and GT40's. If his is for a regular lower then just swap out your lower for the regular GT lower and install. Trust me, they are fun on a street car.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know it will be good either way, I haven't updated my signature in a while, I've got a full h/c/i on my car now and a 125 shot. I would rather have a bit better flow through the intake if they match I just don't know if I can mount in on anything other than a stock lower

·
Registered
888 Posts
If the supercharger has a Flowzilla inlet then it only comes in the GT40 variety.

EDIT: Captain Obvious here, the AD does show that fact......LOL

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will want to use the GT40 lower you have, even if that means buying another KB discharge plenum.

I'm going to be fabricating the parts to mount one on my Explorer, and the GT40 intake is too small for my taste(and the custom labor anyway). So a TFS R lower is my choice, add a plenum for an IC, over to the KB, and it'll be what they should have made for the SBF kits.

With the stock/GT40 intakes, keep the boost down to keep the IAT's manageable.
Does anyone sell a discharge plenum for them?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Check the serial number on it to make sure it is in fact a 2.1
I thought all of the 2.1L SCs came with a bypass, it was some of the 1.5s that did not have one.
I have what is supposed to be a 1.5L, but has the Flowzilla intake and discharge for the GT40 intake with an integral bypass.

Here is info I received from Kenne Bell on identifying them via the serial number:

"3150" in the serial number = 1.5L
If it starts with a 422, it is a 2.2L
If the S/N starts with a "B", it is a 2.1L

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That link I posted up top is from Kenne Bell's website, it says that they made the 2.1's without the bypass. Like I said I haven't seen it yet but I'll make sure to check the serial number. I was planning on running a meth kit with it anyway to keep the temps down, I have a multiport chip in my car right now so I might pick up another couple of pullies and tune it for 6 psi with no meth and do a higher boost tune with meth injection just in case I want to take it on a road trip or something and not have to refill a meth tank all the time

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I picked it up, it is a 2.1 litre with no bypass, how much boost can I run safely with a meth kit? I've read they get hot at idle with no bypass so I don't want to #### anything up in it. I'm going to get it tuned as well, I've already got ported gt40p's a tfs1 cam, all the boltons, 42 lb injectors, a 255 fuel pump (it was setup for a 125 shot of nitrous). I'm hoping to get 8-12 psi or is that a bit much?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Given your head's decks and no blow-off, start small. The grunt down low is going to massive.

Even with the stardard pulleying.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The guy threw a bunch of pulleys in with it, looks like the smallest is the 10 psi one, my heads deck will handle it, thank you very much

I think I'll do that one, what's hy the worst that can happen.....other than a blown up engine, it would be a good excuse to build the 351 I have sitting in the garage, lol haha

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
That was nice of him to throw all those pulleys in. 10 psi is gonna fell like you have some big bad stroker motor in that thing.

And your decks will most likely be fine. You will be okay with no bypass also. Shoot, while you are at it, you might as well just go ahead and downgrade to to a walbro 115 fuel pump, 14lb injectors, and a mercury topaz 55mm maf. haha lol

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
haha lol

that is a pretty good idea, lol. It worked for the kid in Tokyo Drift. ha ha ha lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts