Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 93 LX 5.0, 5spd, black, with 50,000 miles. Car is rough but all there and needs just some TLC. What are they going for?

Body is straight and low rust
Motor runs rough but driveable
Trans shifts fine

What are these going for?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Without much additional info, sounds like a $2500-3000 car to me.

From personal experience, it will cost a lot more than you think to correct and repair anything wrong/broken even if it is all there. I bought a '91 LX in much the same sounding condition for $3500. Another $5000 wouldn't have made it as nice as the '93 GT I bought last summer for $7000 and it has a built 331 with a bunch of other stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car needs a general tune up. It is missing some body side moulding and has a small ammount of rust behind the right rear tire. Its just where paint peeled. It needs an interior cleanup and I think its missing a trim bezel or two on each door. Its got 49000 miles but i suspect its rolled over once. Brakes and tires are good. Has a set of headers on it, sounds like there is an exhaust leak to chase down. He says it was having a fuel pressure issue, so might need a fuel pump but it runs now so Im likely planning to do plugs wires, fresh fuel and see how it goes.
Im buying it as a clean up and drive deal. I want something fun that I can play around in. I cant afford a 6-7000 toy. Right now I have one dirty side shot but I suspect with a wheel and some elbow grease the paint will clean up nice. He has some additional body parts to go with it.

Ive negotiated to between 1500-2000.

·
Registered
447 Posts
As someone that is in the middle of a project. It is waaayyyyy cheaper to get it already done and in great shape. The big parts aren't what gets you, it is the little stuff. There is also always surprises and expenses you didn't account for.

I don't really mind though. I got the car to have something to tinker with and to learn new skills on as much as to have the car.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
price has allot to do with location but honestly if the car is basically stock without any prior accidents and is a coupe it's worth the 2k. Just make sure there is no rust in the common areas because that's when it gets ugly. Check bottom of trunk on inside and underside if possible, check bottom of rear trunk lid, floor pan, torque boxes and when you open the door check for rust by the bolts securing the door to the body.

That car pictured in NJ would pull an easy 2500+

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Just watch Barrett-Jackson. Whatever they're selling for on there, you should ask for yours too.

No, in all seriousness. Went and looked at an '83 GLX the other day locally. No price given, said come have a look. It was nice. But not "that" nice. I saw plenty of flaws. I asked the owner what he was asking, he said $18,500. I about fell over and had the big one. I was like...uh ok, I'm not paying that. Guy says make an offer. I offered him $3000 cash which is all I had with me at the time. Guy says that they were selling the same car on B-J for mid 20,000 range. I politely shook his hand, thanks for allowing me to look at it, and drove away.

Some people.....;)

Anyway, how rough is it? Keep in mind what it'd be worth if it was nice, and also keep in mind that it costs to repair all the little things that these aging cars all seem to need. Ball joints, rack & pinion, tune-up, fuel system work (tank, etc)-the list goes on and on. What would it be worth in repaired condition? Subtract what it needs from that, add labor time, and go from there. That's the way I look at them. Some (many) are asking entirely too much for these cars calling them collector's items, classics, whatever in order to justify their high asking price, and that's fine-they're the sellers they can ask whatever they want. But that doesn't mean that they're going to sell at those high prices. It just means they're proud of their stuff.

Recently was interested in a nice original '93 GT. Bone stock, nice paint, zero rust. Was repaired from a light T-bone crash on the passenger door, and repaired correctly. Guy was asking $3000 for it. I'd have bought it if the seller would've responded to my messages, but never heard a thing after I sent him several messages with read receipts. Was on the market for about 2 months as I recall; then I get a message saying, sorry I sold it. Well you'd have sold it a long time ago if you'd called me back.

They're all over the place. Both in price and availability. The availability is going to keep pricing down but that doesn't stop people from asking way more than they're worth. On the flip side though, sometimes you'll run across a nice one for a good price. If on a social media group, it won't last a minute. If you find it elsewhere, it may sit there for years before it sells. That's how I got both of mine with the coupe being the junker of the two and the 93,000 mile GT being the sweetheart. Zero rust, nice interior (but smoked in heavily), paint ain't great but it's all there, was bone stock when I got it, and I drove it home for $800 cash.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
With all that road salt up there I bet things are pretty crusty. Strut towers ok? How about rear frame rails? Rear bumper supports? That salt get into crevasses and eats. I would be down around the 1,500-2,000 range. People tend to over value these cars. My opinion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts