Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 Mustang that I am in the middle of a 4cyl to 5.0 swap. I have done the research on engine harnesses and found a late 92-93 ecm harness for the car.

As I put the harness in, I realized the harness is as it came from factory with all of its plugs with the exception that the MAF plug has been extended (perfect for me as I am running a blower and plan on mounting the MAF in the fender well anyways) and the fuel pump relay and a/c wot relay have been cut off and are missing. When i pulled back the electrical tape and loom, the wires are there for both. All I can think of as far as why is maybe the previous owner may of been running an aftermarket external pump wired direct to a relay and switch elsewhere.

With the wires there, I assume I just need a relay and a relay plug with pigtail and I am good to go?

While doing a quick search I found that LMR has exactly what I am looking for but at $55
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-14089A/1993-Mustang-Fuel-Pump-Relay

Is there anything special about this particular relay or can I run a generic 30amp relay/holder/pigtail found from a local parts store, something like this?
30/40A 12V DC Change-Over Relay with 5 Wire Socket | Princess Auto

If so, what amp relay should be used and does anyone have a 92-93 schematic and be able to help identify which color wires would go where?Also, I am not running A/C on this car I figure it is okay to not worry about the a/c wot relay and leave it as is?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did a little more research on wiring relays and found a schematic and have figured out the colours and what goes where.

I guess all I am asking now is is there anything special about the relay advertised on LMR or will a standard 12v 30amp relay do the trick?

·
Registered
23,260 Posts
you can use any single pole single throw, 30amp is more than enough

the wiring can easily id'd with a test light

otherwise you will need a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A relay is a relay. I think I got my spare from Radio Shack.
Like he said, you can get them a lot of places, I'd stick with around town, you can get the relay and PROBABLY the connector itself from autozone or advance. And it will be a heck of a lot cheaper than 55 bucks...just have them look up for your car and see what the replacement is and they'll either have it or order it in. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts