Ford Mustang Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1013 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #981 ·
Been looking over the brakes and noticing a few things I'm going to change.. I think part of the problem is the brake lines to the master cylinder are to close to the headers. Which I think is heating up the fluid in the lines. I'm going to reroute the master cylinder lines so they don't go around the booster down and under it and just do more of a straight shot from the lines coming out of the cowl. I'm also going to put some heat sleeve on the lines to protect them from the header heat.

I'm also going to experiment with the 93 cobra brake booster to see how I like it. I've had one for over a year just sitting in my garage and never installed it since I wanted to give the fox booster a shot first. I've given it some time and I figure since I'm going to have the system open anyway I might as well give it a try. I've read all the the pro's and con's about it an it seems like a lot of it comes down to personal preference and the brake configuration people are running. I understand it might make the brakes to sensitive or they might work to my liking I guess I won't know until I try. It took a bit of work to get it installed in the car but it fit. If it doesn't work I still have the fox booster I can put back in the car and check that off the list of things to try. This will also give me a chance to paint the fox booster since I didn't the first time. I'm hoping to have all this done before next weekend so I can bleed the brakes and have it ready for the following weekend so I can test drive the car.

Then after I get it through this June event I will have some down time until the end of August to work on the car and get a few things worked out. I have a list of small things that I would like to get done.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,111 Posts
Nice! Keep us posted on the Cobra booster. It’s one thing I am considering also.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bad ass pics from the last event man. Glad you are still tinkering away and solving issues, it seems like with most of these cars we fix one and its onto the next. Thanks for keeping this thread going, you and your car are about the only thing motivating me to keep trucking along on mine.

This car and build thread have been so awesome for me, I can go back and read up on stuff and look at pics, what worked, what didn't. Thanks for keeping forums alive!!

Curious to hear how the Cobra Booster changes pedal feel....

Sean

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #984 ·
Bad ass pics from the last event man. Glad you are still tinkering away and solving issues, it seems like with most of these cars we fix one and its onto the next. Thanks for keeping this thread going, you and your car are about the only thing motivating me to keep trucking along on mine.

This car and build thread have been so awesome for me, I can go back and read up on stuff and look at pics, what worked, what didn't. Thanks for keeping forums alive!!

Curious to hear how the Cobra Booster changes pedal feel....

Sean

Thanks man I'm glad the thread motivates you and others it was the whole purpose of this thread. I'm trying to keep it up to date but have missed a few things. I knew there would be teething issues with the car and I hope I can get them all sorted out by the end of the year.

I will definitely update the thread about the cobra booster and how I like it. I'm hoping to have everything in place so I can bleed the brakes by this weekend so I can take it for a test drive.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #985 ·
Last night I started on making the brake lines for the master cylinder. The first attempt went pretty good until I realized I wasn’t going to be able to get the windshield wiper motor out unless I disconnected the brake line. I’m going to attempt to reroute it tonight to fix that problem. I was also thinking should I add a loop to the line like you normally see if brake lines that connect to the master cylinder.

Not sure if it’s necessary with my car since I’m going from the cowl to the master cylinder on both connections. I can see with the factory setup when you’re running from the shock tower to the master since the shock tower is going to move with suspension loads and the master cylinder isn’t going to move since it’s connected to the firewall.

I still have an old piece of my old roll bar tube I could wrap the brake line around to create the loop just have to be careful not to kink it or flatten the tube or find a tool that will do it with out kinking the line. Now I have to ask myself why did I have to open this can of worms.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,111 Posts
Yes sir..... we’ve all been THERE before:

”Why oh WHY did I ever decide this was a good idea to tackle now?”

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #987 ·
I finished up the brake lines on Friday night and got the car ready to bleed the brakes. I ended up putting a new master cylinder in the car from Raybestos which is the one for a 93 cobra just in case the master cylinder was part of the problem. Since I had the system opened I decided to also replace the ABS valve body. The HCU is fine but I had a feeling that the valve body and motor that was in the one in the car wasn't working properly. I'm still not totally happy with the lines I made but they will get me through this next event.

Since I replaced the ABS unit on the car I decided to run the service bleed on the system. I have a Ford NGS diagnostics tool with the ABS bleed function and ABS test function. The last time I did the service bleed on the brakes the only thing that happened with the old ABS module is the motor ran on all 4 wheels but on the passenger front it made noises like the ABS was triggering everytime I pressed on the brake pedal. This time when I did the service bleed the motor ran for all 4 wheels plus all 4 wheels made the same noise like the ABS was triggering when I pushed the pedal to bleed the brakes. I'm feeling optimistic about the brakes right now I was happy I didn't have any leaks in the new lines the ABS module might be functioning properly. I can tell the new booster has more assist then the fox booster. I'm going to try and get the car out for a drive today for a quick run around the block to make sure everything is working properly. I won't really know how everything is working until the next event when I can really push on the car.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 ·
Just got back from the test drive and the brakes are working great. The car stops a lot better then it did before much faster. The ABS is working now I hit the brakes and when the tires locked for a split second the ABS module kicked in and kept the wheels turning. I could hear the ABS module under the dash doing its job.

The 93 cobra booster now I can see why people say its touchy. It doesn't take much brake pressure to get the car to stop. It wasn't hard to get into the ABS when I was stopping. When I have full heat in the tires I'm sure I can get on the brakes harder but they will take some getting used to at first. I'm going to keep the 93 booster in the car for now. I think it will help me with my knee issues I have after long weekends. After 30 years of riding skateboards and BMX it has take a toll on my knees.

Now on to this project adding some down force to the rear of the car. Turning this piece of polycarbonate into a spoiler for the rear of the car.

I'm stealing the idea from Gregg Biddlingmeier @autoxstang on instagram. Great guy I've been racing with him at the NMCA events.

I'm hoping to have it on the car before the next event I want to see if it will help plant the rear of the car better.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,111 Posts
Can’t wait to see how you are building it as well! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I wonder what you will do when you run out of things to fix/adjust/tweak? Oh wait, I forgot that never happens! Great job, it just keeps improving!

Jay

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #991 ·
I wonder what you will do when you run out of things to fix/adjust/tweak? Oh wait, I forgot that never happens! Great job, it just keeps improving!

Jay
Early on I thought what will I do when the car is done then I quickly realized it will never be done. But that's part of the fun with the car trying new things making tweaks to make it faster. Not saying I haven't had my moments of frustration with the car but all those seem to go away when I leave the line at the autocross or a track day or when a person on this thread or someone walks up to the car to tell me how awesome it looks. The only thing I'm doing now is I won't make a major change that could cause me to miss an event. I'm just focusing on fixing anything that are broken or making setup changes. But at the end of the year I'm going to look into how I can modify the IRS cradle to a hard mount it in the rear to get more tire clearance and less deflection in the rear. Change the rear shock setup to a cantilever setup to open up more room around the control arms. I mainly want to focus on how to make the IRS better.

How are your cars coming Jay?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #992 ·
I started to mess with getting the spoiler done on the car. I decided to make a cardboard template since I realized I will have to trim the spoiler to make it fit right. Since the factory spoiler is curved and I want to lean back the spoiler I'm adding a little bit I have to trim it. I figure it would be best to test it out on cardboard.

Still a work in progress but a start. I'm hoping to make a template and transfer it to the poly. Then I need to measure for supports to tie it to the trunk of the car so it won't come off at speed.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Kenney Brown offered a service that converts an IRS cradle to solid mount, don't know if they still do that? I think their fabricated control arms might be required, been a long time since I looked at that. Do you feel that the IRS in it's current form is a weakness? What would a cantilevered shock setup look like?

I haven't been working on my stuff since last Fall, wife had a knee rebuilt, and a hip replacement recently, so I'm just trying to hold the kennel business together right now. There is light at the end of the tunnel now, maybe I can play again soon.

Jay

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #994 ·
Kenney Brown offered a service that converts an IRS cradle to solid mount, don't know if they still do that? I think their fabricated control arms might be required, been a long time since I looked at that. Do you feel that the IRS in it's current form is a weakness? What would a cantilevered shock setup look like?
They still make it but I'm not sure about the solid mount that they make it only bolts to the side of the frame. They also change the pick up points for the control arms but the factory arms will still work. I think the weakness is putting power down out of the corners at an autocross I think the torque arm will do a better job at it. Unfortunately I don't have a comparison I can make since I never drove the car with a torque arm. It still early days for my IRS and I think it has a ton of potential so I can't be to quick to judge.

Here's a couple cantilever setup ideas I have looked at. The first one is one done by a guy that goes by carbonwidebody instagram.

The next is a kit done by Mike Maier Inc but its for earlier mustangs. It looked like they had a universal kit one time but I can't seem to find it anymore. I've met Mike a few times and he is a really great guy and super knowledgeable on suspensions.

These are just thoughts but I think if you got the coilover out of that area and just had a push rod you could do more things with the upper control arm and sway bar but I could be wrong. The main thing I would like to do is the solid mount in the rear since I think it will make a big difference. I also need to talk with MCS about the rear shocks I'm running out of adjustment. I almost have them at full soft on both compression and rebound. I'm also going to toe in the rear a bit more to see if it helps.

I haven't been working on my stuff since last Fall, wife had a knee rebuilt, and a hip replacement recently, so I'm just trying to hold the kennel business together right now. There is light at the end of the tunnel now, maybe I can play again soon.

Jay
I hope your wife has a speedy recovery and you can get back to your cars soon.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think either the IRS or the torque arm is going to strengths as well as weaknesses. I took an MM torque arm setup off the black car to replace with the IRS. Haven't driven the car on track yet, but I would expect to be able to carry more speed into corners with the IRS, and the car not to be as unhappy with me when I'm driving over berms in the corners. The torque arm is a beast for traction, and also very good for decreasing nose dive while braking.

I don't know if it's possible to get the same level of drive off traction with the IRS, but the initial negative camber and the camber gain under compression is a huge advantage for the IRS from what I understand. Lap times for the MM AI car decreased considerably between the two configurations, carrying speed through corners being paramount on a road course car. I don't know how that translates to autocross, I'm thinking maybe drive off grip might have more impact for the tighter confines of an autocross.

Jay

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #996 ·
I think either the IRS or the torque arm is going to strengths as well as weaknesses. I took an MM torque arm setup off the black car to replace with the IRS. Haven't driven the car on track yet, but I would expect to be able to carry more speed into corners with the IRS, and the car not to be as unhappy with me when I'm driving over berms in the corners. The torque arm is a beast for traction, and also very good for decreasing nose dive while braking.

I don't know if it's possible to get the same level of drive off traction with the IRS, but the initial negative camber and the camber gain under compression is a huge advantage for the IRS from what I understand. Lap times for the MM AI car decreased considerably between the two configurations, carrying speed through corners being paramount on a road course car. I don't know how that translates to autocross, I'm thinking maybe drive off grip might have more impact for the tighter confines of an autocross.

Jay
Definitely pros and cons to both setups. I'm committed to the IRS because I think it can be made to work really good at an autocross. It's going to take some changes to my driving style and some work on the IRS. I guess that's part of the fun with the car trying to make it better. I think the main thing to focus on is getting the rear of the cradle solid mounted. After talking with Jack about it I think it's one of it's main weaknesses. That's an end of the year project It's to involved to do now since it will require removing the IRS from the car. I might also try a Mathis brace to see if will helps for now. It would be a easy addition to the car and I don't think it would hurt.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #997 ·
Did some work on the spoiler last night. I got the angle I wanted and decided to make the brackets I'm going to use to support it to the factory spoiler.

I used some 1/8 inch thick aluminum flat bar to attach it to the spoiler.

I started to drill the holes for them but was doing a terrible job getting them right so I'm going to take them to my in laws house and use the drill press. Unfortunately I'm not going ot have it done before the next event so I'm just going to get everything ready so once this event is done I can get back to it. After this event I have a break until Aug 21-22 which will give me time to get it done and a few other things.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #998 ·
Had a good weekend of racing. Didn't go completely as planned but I had fun and did pretty good I finished third on Saturday and second on Sunday. I held the lead for a while until the last runs of the day. The car ran good it was strong the handling was good still a bit loose in the rear took a couple clicks of rebound out and it seemed to help. I really need to adjust the toe in more instead of just messing with the shocks. I want to also look into adding a Mathis brace or something like that for now. I still want to do the hard mount in the back but that isn't going to happen until later in the year.

Unfortunately I didn't record my fastest run from the Saturday so this my second fastest run. Also for some reason I didn't trim the video when I posted it so that is why it's so long.

This my fastest Sunday which felt good but wasn't good enough for the win couple tenths off the win.

You can tell the videos are a bit different I was messing with a camera settings on my GoPro Hero 9. I'm still figuring out the best settings.

The brakes

The brakes felt good they were very consistent same from corner to corner working way better then they ever have before. The 93 cobra booster does make them a bit touchy but I didn't have any issue modulating them. The ABS I don't think is working or it's not working properly which I will need to look into. I do have a 2008 GT500 ABS module that can run in standalone like the one i have in my car. It will take a bit of work to get it installed sine the sensors are different but it might be the route I take since it is a far better unit then the one I have in the car.

Now the bad part I wasn't able to run my last set of 3 runs in my car. I'm not sure if I would gained enough to win but it didn't help that i was driving a car I wasn't used to that I didn't fit very well in.

The water pump gasket decided to give up or at least I believe it as the water pump gasket not sure just yet. All I know is a ton of water was coming out of the car. So I parked it in the trailer and hoped my class leading run would hold but it didn't. I did get to drive another full MM equipped car owned by James Eaton that was a blast. That car was a brute with a carbureted 351 can't remember if it's a stroked to a 408 but it had some power when the secondaries came on. Unfortunately he is a taller then me and his seat doesn't adjust so I was sitting on a towel and a couple jackets so I could see over the steering wheel. He doesn't run harnesses just a factory seat belt so I was doing everything i could to drive the car and keep myself in the seat.

Now it's time to pull the water pump and get the electric one installed. When I went into this event I was debating whether I would work on the water pump or just leave it for now and focus on aother things but the car made the decision for me. So I'm going to start working on that tonight.

·
Registered
120 Posts
BAD ASS man.

That's awesome to hear about the brakes. I would be curious to swap in the cobra booster in my pile to see if it makes a difference, but the brakes are one are I am really happy with.

Bummer to hear about the water pump and I hope that gasket is the culprit as it will be an easy fix. I could never drive another persons car so kudos to you for giving it a go.....I have no idea how people race a car without harnesses in it.

When is the next event??

I would love to come down and check out one of your guys events, the NMCA events look like they are super fun events. Up here, there are only a few people that run in CAM so its 2 or 3 cars in class tops.

Maybe someday.

Sean

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,111 Posts
Awesome run thanks for sharing.

981 - 1000 of 1013 Posts