Ford Mustang Forums banner

841 - 860 of 861 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
I finally got the front flares bonded to the car last night. It didn't go as bad as I thought it would. Now on to the part I'm not looking forward to blending the flares to the car.

I'm hoping to get the filler on the car this week so I can start sanding. I'm not sure if I'm going to remove the rivets or just sand them down. I know people have removed the and some people leave them and just sand them down. I used aluminum rivets so they should be easy to just sand down. Not sure how easy they will come out since some of them have allot of the bonding adhesive all over them.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
So I got started on the blending of the fenders to the car. I would like to say it went good but it didn't. I got the filler on the car fine but after starting to sand one of the front fenders I can see where air bubbles were in the filler. I thought a did a good job getting them out but must not have because there is allot of them. Its not the end of the world but its going to take more work to get rid of them. I also put to much filler on the which is going to take more work to get off the car. Maybe not the worst job for my first time but not as good as I was hoping. I have some sandable filler primer coming which should help. It looks like I'm going to be doing more body work them planned.

I also realized its going to create a way bigger mess then I planned so I put up a plastic wall around the car.

·
Registered
748 Posts
How is the fender blend coming along? I'm glad there are other builds here to live vicariously through. I went to install a fresh bullet in my car, and the RCI headers were blocking the clutch cable, so I'm on hold for a bit. Long tubes can sure be a PITA. Really starting to jones for some track time.

Jay

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
How is the fender blend coming along? I'm glad there are other builds here to live vicariously through. I went to install a fresh bullet in my car, and the RCI headers were blocking the clutch cable, so I'm on hold for a bit. Long tubes can sure be a PITA. Really starting to jones for some track time.

Jay
Its going good I should be done with the rough sanding tonight. I'm going to use a glazing putty to fill in the pin holes and other imperfections. Its taken a ton of work but I'm happy with it so far. If all goes well I'm going to seal it up with some epoxy primer this Friday. Then lay down the high build primer to smooth it out as much as possible. I also found a red paint that is close to the factory color that I'm going to spray on the fenders then I'm going to clear coat them. This should give the vinyl wrap a good surface to stick to or at least that is the plan. Then give the car a good bath clean the paint surface with surface prep and try wrapping the car. Once I have the primer on the car I will get some pictures.

I also have to do some work on the ABS since the module in the car is not functioning right. I have a new one I just have to install it a bleed the brakes. I also have a few things I need to finish up with the suspension like connect the front sway bar and do a nut and bolt to make sure all is good. The other thing I wanted to look into is why I can get a ton of camber out of one side of the car in the rear and the other I can only get a little over 1 degree of negative camber.

I'm trying to push right now since the DMV is starting to open back up and I might be able to get moving permits in the next couple weeks. I want to get it out on the road so I can figure out if I have any mechanical problems. I would also like to get the smog done so I can get it registered.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
I was able to get some primer on the flares this weekend. They came out pretty good I have a few pin holes to take care of but I'm pretty happy with the results.

I need to sand them down fill the pin holes then it should be ready to put some paint on the car. I'm hoping in the next week or two I could start to wrap it.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #847
It really came down to two things cost and being able to repair it.

If I painted it someone else would be doing the painting since trying to do it in my garage would have been tough. I found normal auto body shops didn't want to paint it due to the flares and it wasn't being returned to factory specs. I found custom car shops that would paint it but they wanted 7k-10k to do the body work and paint since they don't like to paint over some elses body work. Putting that much into the paint would have had me freaking out about it getting damaged. With autocross your going to hit cones its just a matter of time especially right now for me when I start to explore how close I can get to them. With track days its going off course rocks from other cars things like that will do damage. If I damage the wrap or say one of the flares its easy to pull the wrap off the car make repairs then just put new wrap over the repair. Not mention if for some reason after few years I want it to be a different color I can pull the wrap off and change the color. So for me wrapping the car was the best balance between it looking nice and easy to repair.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #848
Small update on the car. Still working on getting the fenders finished so I can start to wrap the car. I finished the body work and put some paint on the fenders. I used a Dupli-color perfect match paint that was pretty close to the red of the car. They only come in small cans so I ended up getting 4 cans one for each fender. I will have to say they didn't cover as well as I was hoping. I did get a good base but not as good as I was hoping.

I did order more of the paint a week ago just in case but not sure if I'm going to need it right now. I'm not really concerned with how it looks since I'm going to put vinyl over the top of it. I just need to get a good thick coat of clear on the car so I can wet sand it with 2000 grit and prep it for the wrap. I got some clear coat from Eastwood that is there 2 part clear in a can that allot of people said was really nice. I'm either going to start putting the clear on the car tonight or wait until Monday to put more red on then the clear. Whats hard is I'm starting to grow impatient I really want to drive the car and the DMV is starting to open back up. I need to get the covers off the car finish up some mechanical issues so I can take it for a test drive since I really have no idea if I have other issues I won't know about until I drive the car.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
The work on the body continues. Now that I believe I have a good base to wrap the car I need to start looking at how I'm going to do the molding on the car. The plan is to wrap the car red and do the side molding in Satin black. The one issue with putting the molding back on the car is the fact it needs to be shortened by around 2-1/2 inches. These are the 4 pieces I will need to shorten.

Two of them are hard plastic the other two are urethane. The hard plastic ones should be easy to cut and shorten the urethane ones are going to be harder to cut down. The plan right now is to take about 2-1/2 inches out of the center then put the two pieces back together using some type of high strength glue or something. The next part is getting the lower air dam ready to wrap. I have some plastic prep and adhesion promoter to get started. I'm not sure if I will have to put a coat of primer and paint so the wrap will stick to it.

I did do a small test with a piece of sample wrap I had. I found that if you scuff the surface use the plastic prep and adhesion promoter the wrap would stick to the car really good. The one thing I did notice is its going to be a real pain in the butt to wrap the air dam. The plan this weekend is to get the car back on the ground and give it a serious bath and clean all the wax and grime off the car so I can do a 2000 grit wet sand to get it ready. I'm going to start with the front fenders to make sure the wrap will stick to the flares. Slowly chipping away at it. Are region might have an event in mid July but we will see.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #850
Today was a good day I was able to get to the DMV and get a couple of moving permits. Now I can at least drive the car on the street. I'm still going to wrap it first but hopefully in the next few weeks I can get it out on the road.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #851
I got started on wrapping the car last night. I wanted to start with the hood. I figured it would be the easiest to start with since it's basically flat. My first attempt failed and cost me a section of the wrap. I was able to salvage half of the piece but it was a rude awakening on it being more difficult then I thought it would be. I stepped back figure out a better way to get it done.

There are some imperfections in it that I tried hard to get out but didn't want to scrap a whole piece to fix. I still need to cut out the vent holes but so far it didn't come out to bad. I'm going to try and get the fenders done tonight if I have the time.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
I got one of the fenders wrapped last night. It pretty good I did a better job on the fender then the hood. I learned allot on the hood and I was able to transfer that to the fender. I'm going to try and finish both sides of the car this weekend so I can start to focus on the bumpers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good stuff Peter. I've struggled with PPF in the past but vinyl is something quite a bit different. You are doing a heck of a job with it.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #857
I got the passenger side fender and the cowl done last night. The passenger side fender for some reason was a bit harder but its done. There are a few imperfections but its not to bad.

I'm hoping to get the doors done today so I can spend Sunday on the quarter panels. I think the quarters are going to be difficult its going to take a big piece of vinyl.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #859
The wrap I'm using is a Avery Dennison. After doing research I found that the Avery wrap is the easiest for beginners. The 3m 2080 was the other one I was going to use but they didn't have the color I was looking for and it was said to be a little harder to use for beginners. I found the wrap on ebay from a place called Metro restyling they also have a shop you can order directly from them instead of using ebay. I first started by ordering a samples of different color reds from both 3m and Avery they cost a few dollars each but worth it in the end. Then I started to watch a ton of videos on wrapping cars starting with this youtube channel.

Basin Motorsports

Then I started to watch this guys channel he has a wrapping company in Canada. Some of his videos can be long but informative.

CK Wraps

The big thing is getting the body ready for the wrap so it has a good clean surface to stick too. If you have areas of primer its best to cover it with paint. I cleaned my car to get all the old wax off the paint. Then I wet sanded the car with 2000 grit the wiped the car down with 70% isopropyl alcohol until the towel wasn't picking up anything. I use a magnetic tape measure to measure out the size of piece I need for each section. Its best to have a at least a few inches of extra material around the edges to pull on so you can lay it flat. Its also good to have a really good heat gun. The one thing that is nice if you stretch the material to much you can add heat to vinyl and it will move back into position.

I will say you can't tell from the pictures but its not perfect. I can see the beginner mistakes and if I have enough material when I'm done I might redo the hood. I know paint could look better if its done right. But I know this will be easier to fix if I have any problems. The wrap should be good for 5-7 years depending on how good you take care of it. I think for me it should last longer since the car is in a garage all the time and it will only be outside when I'm at an autocross or driving it around. I think this is a good way to go but only time will tell.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I was looking at the first couple pages of this build, do you realize the first post was on 6/20/17? It's been a long and winding road, isn't there a song like that?

Great job man, car should be a serious joy to behold on the street and doing an event!

Jay

841 - 860 of 861 Posts