Ford Mustang Forums banner

801 - 820 of 898 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #801
More work done on the car today. I focused on getting the rear coilovers and the sway bar end links installed. I also put the rest of the tail pipe on the car. The tail pipes turned out good I'm happy with the way they look. I started first with hanging a plumbing bob from the exhaust hanger to measure the distance from the end of the exhaust to the fishing line hanging from the plumbing bob.

Then measured out what I needed and cut the pipe. Then used a chrome butt joint clamp to hold it together. The clamp blends with the tail pipe good its hard to tell there is a clamp on it.

Then put the coilovers and the end links in the car. There not in the car permanently since I will have to remove the springs when I do the bump steering on the rear end but I do want to set the car on the ground and see how need to adjust the rear coilovers.

I should be able to install the front struts in the car tomorrow. Then the plan is to bleed the brakes after I do one more run through to make sure everything is connected right.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #802
I got more ABS work done this weekend. I was able to finish up the wiring of the ABS sensors in the car. I finally got the ABS sensor brackets mounted to the car and the connectors run.

I also had to put new front hubs on the car that had the tone rings on them the one on the car didn't have them. It wasn't a problem since the hubs had never been replaced.

The next step is to bleed the brakes on the car. If that goes fine I will lower it back on the ground get the ride height set and the alignment done so I can set the bump steer the front and rear of the car.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #803 (Edited)
Quick update bled the brakes last night. It did go perfect but better then I thought it would. I only had one very tiny leak. The only down side is I couldn't get it to stop leaking with tightening the fitting so I will have to make a new line for one of the connections luckily its a short line.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Those struts and shocks are gorgeous!

I'm glad you posted pictures of the exhaust exits, it really highlights how much difference there is between the Fox bodies and the New Edge rear bumpers. The exhausts pass through cut-outs in the rear bumpers of the New Edge styles, whereas they are well below the bumper of your Fox. Obviously you do not need the tight dimensional control of the later model hangars to keep the tips in their cut-outs. Not sure how it will wind up with my SN, chances are I probably don't need the later style hangars either, but I have them if I should need them.

You're starting to get pretty close to having her track worthy soon, exciting!

Jay

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #805
The car is back on the ground for the first time since Nov 25. I got the brakes bled fine and everything is pretty good so far. I even have a working parking brake so that is nice no more wood block. I got the ride height set and the camber set in the front still need to work on getting the camber done in the rear of the car and working on the toe front and rear. Its nice to see it on the ground again.

Once I have the base alignment done I should be able to take it for a test drive after I do a nut and bolt on all the suspension and brakes. Can't wait to get her back on the road for a test drive.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #807
Yes the plan is to corner weight the car at some point. I'm just trying figuring out if I'm going to take it to someone to do it or get the stuff to do it myself. I have all the stuff I need to align car I just can't do the corner weights. I've been searching the used race equipment sites to look for scales and scale levelers with very little luck right now. I just need a basic set of scales I don't need anything fancy and a good set of levelers.

Another note I was out setting the camber on the car. The front was easy at first when I got it back on the ground it had almost -5 degree of camber which I got back to -3 pretty easy. The rear of the car was a little weird. The drivers side was at about -1 degree the passenger side of the car was -2 which through me off I didn't think you could get that much even with the modified camber bolts. I measured out all my ride height settings so I'm going to put the car back on jack stands tomorrow and start messing with the camber bolt to see if I can get the rear to -1 to -1.5 on both sides. Then I want to work on the toe settings.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #808
Update on the car I did some work on the rear of the car to get the camber set. I was able to get the driver side to -1.2 degrees of camber so I balanced them out and set the passenger to the same. I'm not sure why I can get -1 degree more camber out of the passenger when everything looks the same. Now its on to setting the toe on the car I will probably keep the front at .5 degrees of tow out the rear I'm going to zero the tow for now and maybe play with that later on. I still have to set the bump steer on the car which I will start to mess with once its aligned.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #809
Started work on getting the toe set on the car. I picked up this string alignment kit from B-G racing which works really nice. It took a bit of setup but its nice not having the jack stands to trip over while trying to set the alignment.

It was easy to set the rear toe on the car I loosened the jam nuts on the tie rods then just turned them until I zero toe in the rear of the car. I still have more work to do on the front. I swapped out the power steering rack on the car with a Flaming river power rack a while back when I was having the power steering issues. The steering feel from the rack is amazing its worth the money. The other upside to it was I could raise up the rack in the car since it had better clearance then the AGR rack that was in the car for years.

The drawback to it in the cars current setup is when I put it next to the AGR rack it was a bit narrower which is why you need there tie rod ends when you buy the rack for install. I was still able to use my bump steer kit fine since I had one that was meant for a fox rack with the SN95 length arms. Now that I have the SN95 arms its going to be close. They only thread in a little over 3/4 of an inch. I did read that you only really need .663 of an inch threaded into the tie rod end for it to work but not sure how I feel about that since I run 315 tires in the front. I'm going to dig into it more tonight and work on getting the toe set in front then see how much is threaded into the tie rod end.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #810
Update on the car connected all the fuses to the ABS unit and so far it looks like it is working. I had the ABS indicator light hooked up wrong so I rewired it and turned the key and the light came on then went out after a few seconds. The one drawback to the version of ABS unit I'm using is it doesn't have a diagnostic mode that will blink the indicator light to tell problem codes if it comes on you need a scan tool hooked into the OBD2 port on the car for you to read codes from the ABS unit. I have the pin out for the OBD2 connector and a OBD2 connector coming so I'm going to try and wire that up to see if I can run diagnostics on the ABS unit and make sure it is functional.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test the car on the street until the DMV offices reopen which at this time is unknown. Also the autocross season has been suspended until June right but could be longer.

I did decide to corner weight the car sine now I have more time to work on it. I ended up going to a company called trakkrats they have a really nice scale leveler that isn't really over priced. I haven't received them yet but I will have them Friday. Here's the link to there site I talked with the owner and he said they easily support the weight of my car and work with the longacre scales I bought.

I will post up what I think of them once I have them.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #811
I started to get the interior back into the car. I'm going to start at the back of the car and work forward. I got the panels in place just have to rivet them back into place.

I got the panels in place just have to rivet them back into place. I'm also going to finally install the rear trunk panel this time. I should have the OBD2 port connector on Monday so I'm going to wire it up before I put the seats back in the car so I can work under the dash.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #812
I put the car up on scales today to see how much it weights. It came in at 3024lb which was a bit lighter then I thought it would. It does have a almost empty tank of gas so the weight will go up one it filled. Its not perfect to weigh it when it isn't setup like how it will race but I don't want to put a full tank in it and have it sit around for a while.

The scale levelers worked out really good. I will have to say for only $595 they are well worth the money they are really well made and easy to level definitely happy with them.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #814
The front of the car is 54.4% and the rear is 45.5% the cross weight is 51.2%. The two front tires have identical weight when I'm in the car which is nice the rears are separated by about 70lb.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thank you .
The weight of the irs , evens the weight bias up pretty good.
I did the 01 cobra swap , with Irs , and that heavy ass 3650 .
That teksid block , dressed , was still 80 lbs lighter than the 302 I took out.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Did you add weight in the drivers seat to corner weight the car? What an awesome rig, makes me wish I lived close by! In this current economic situation I can only dream of owning the scales and levelers.

Jay

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #817
Did you add weight in the drivers seat to corner weight the car? What an awesome rig, makes me wish I lived close by! In this current economic situation I can only dream of owning the scales and levelers.

Jay
I was sitting in the car to add my weight the scales are wired but the display is wireless so I can sit in the car read the weights.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #819
Way cool!

I admire your patience, I'd take the car out legal or not. Lots of empty parking lots these days.

Jay
Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind more then a few times. There are allot of police out right now but I think allot of them wouldn't care and would tell me to go home.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
I'm going to start riveting in the rear interior panels. I ordered some black rivets but I had thought about not doing the black rivets and using the plain aluminum silver rivets. I used those on the doors an kind of like it. When I finished putting in the black rivets when I first installed the panels I thought I should have gone with the silver ones like the doors.

Let me know what you guys think should stick with the black rivets or switch to the silver.

801 - 820 of 898 Posts