Ford Mustang Forums banner

781 - 800 of 821 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #781
Got some work done on the car today. I was able to get the parking brake worked out so now all of that is set. I also worked on getting the braided lines from the rear calipers mounted and run. I had to modify the MM brackets that come with the braided lines. They way they were going to mount wasn't going to work for my setup. I ended up cutting the ends off the brackets.

Then I drilled holes and used rivets to attach them to the frame rails. Then connected them to the bulkhead fittings.

I also set the pinion angle on the car and test fitted the driveshaft to the car to make sure it cleared the parking brake hardware and all is good. So I torqued the front diff mounts I only have a few more things to do then I'm going to do the final install of the driveshaft so I can start on the exhaust. I would like to have the exhaust in by next weekend so I can start the car and let it run for a bit since its been a while. Then I need to work on getting the brakes lines done in the front of the car and wiring the ABS unit so once I have the front shocks back I can start putting the front back together so I can get it on the ground and set the ride height. Then I can work on the bump steer for the front and rear and get it aligned.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
Just a small update on the car I got the driveshaft installed and the magna flow cat back installed in the car. I still need to work on the tail pipes since I don't want to use the one that come with the magna flow kit but i have an idea on how I'm going to solve that issue.

The exhaust wasn't to hard to get installed in the car. I had to kind of rig the driver side which I will get corrected by an exhaust shop but all in all it went in pretty easy. Now I can start the car without completely pissing off the neighbors. Now I need to move on to finishing up the brake lines in the front of the car and start on the ABS wiring.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Slow and steady..... looking good.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #786
Just a quick update I got all the brake lines finished up and tightened up and ready to bleed the brake system. I already posted most of the pictures of all the brake lines I ran so no pictures with this post. I'm going to start wiring up the ABS this week to hopefully have that done by the end of the week. When I get started on the wiring I'm going to do a write up in this thread about it.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #787
ABS Wiring

I was hoping to get started on the wiring the last few days but with a sick wife and kid I wasn't able to get out in the garage to work on it. I have accumulated the parts I will need to do the wiring. The wiring for the ABS comes with a ton of help from Jack at Maximum Motorsports without his advice there would have been problems making it work. The ABS unit I'm going to use is from an 2003 cobra but this wiring should apply to anything 1999-2004.

Powering the ABS module.

There are 3 power connections to the ABS module.

The main power is a 50amp fused connection that I believe runs the pump motor that is hot at all times. Then it has a 20amp fused connection that is also hot at all times. The last one is a 15amp fused connection that is hot in run. The 50amp connection will be on its own fused connection. I got this fuse holder that is rated far higher then the fuse it will be holding.

Then I'm going to use fuse holders like these for the 20 and 15 amp connections.

There are other 12v connections I will need for other parts of the system so I might also run one of these fuse panels I have left over from when I was wiring up the gauges.

Currently I'm planning on mounting the 50amp fuse next to the battery.

Connecting the sensors.

This part is pretty easy its the most straight forward part of wiring up the ABS module. There two wire with a negative and positive connection. I have the wiring diagrams and the pin outs for the main ABS connector so its really easy. I picked up the ABS connectors off amazon. The wiring for the ABS sensors needs to be a twisted pair so I bought 100 feet of 16 gauge wire for them put one end in my vise the other end in my drill and made twisted pair wires.

Connecting the brake position switch.

The ABS module has a connection for a brake position switch. The connection goes hot when the brake pedal is pushed to warn the ABS module that a braking event is happening. So what you need is a way to trigger the brake lights and the ABS position switch when the brakes are applied. After talking with Jack at great lengths probably to the point of making him crazy he pointed me to using a DPDT relay for the brake light and brake position connections. I will go into the wiring of this later in the wiring of the ABS module.

The ABS indicator lamp.

I was going to use an LED for this but jack recommend an incandescent bulb so I found the ones they use in the instrument cluster.

Getting started

The first part I started with is getting the connections for the rear ABS sensors in the car and running the wiring to the ABS module. The cobra ABS sensors from what I could gather from the factory route into the car and the connectors are in the car based on the some information I got from the wiring diagrams and replacement instructions. I had originally had planned on connecting them outside the car but changed my mind to connect them inside the car. I was trying to figure out what to do about grommets to seal around the wires when I decided to drill a hole in the car and just use the one on the ABS sensor wiring harness.

The wiring diagrams I have give you the pin out for the ABS sensor connectors so I measured out my lengths twisted up the wires.

So far all I have done is getting the rear sensors wired up. I have some easy loom wiring cover to cover up the wires for the rear ABS sensors. I'm hoping to get more of the wiring done today but we will see what happens.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do you think the ABS is the most time consuming, and complex system you've installed on the car reconfiguration? It sure seems that way to me.

I'm wondering if you could explain about what didn't work out properly with the exhaust, and what your plans are with the tail pipes. Do you need to alter the angle at which the pipes exit?

Jay

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #789
Do you think the ABS is the most time consuming, and complex system you've installed on the car reconfiguration? It sure seems that way to me.
Its the most complex system and the one I'm the most worried about. I had to make allot of lines for the brakes so I'm worried about leaks in the system what if the ABS module doesn't work and I have to remove the bad one will be a pain in the ass. I know it will be nice to have and now that CAM-T has changed the rules to allow 94-04 mustangs and camaros in the class that come standard with ABS it will help. To be honest the last two events I didn't have a problem with locking up I got a feel for the brakes and how the pads grabed and I was able to modulate pretty good. The drawback was I was concentrating on it allot which caused me to mess up a couple corners. The ABS will let me focus more on the corners then worry about my braking. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed this all works in the end.

I'm wondering if you could explain about what didn't work out properly with the exhaust, and what your plans are with the tail pipes. Do you need to alter the angle at which the pipes exit?
The connection from the X-pipe to the mufflers was the problem. I'm guessing the h-pipe in a cobra is allot further way then the x-pipe in my car. I'm sure it doesn't help that I have my engine back an inch. The longest pipe that connects the x-pipe to the muffler was like 6 inches to long and with the bends it had in it impossible to cut and make work. The short connection from the x-pipe to the muffler was also way to long also so I ended up using the short connection from the mufflers to the x-pipe on the passenger side exhaust then made a section to connect the driver side. I can get pictures if you want to see what I did to make it work. When the car is driving again I'm going to take it to an exhaust shop and have them fix it. There are two issues with the tail pipes one I don't like how the cobra exhaust tips look and second the way they mount in a cobra is different its basically a straight bar that points to the rear of the car where are cars have a bar mounted to the side of the exhaust pointing towards the side of the car. If I cut the tail pipes I get the look I want and the hanger for the rear will be right.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't think a picture of your situation will probably directly translate to my car what with different headers and exhaust systems. The tail pipes might be fairly similar between the Fox and SN95, I do have the 3" Stainless Works system now, but haven't yet started installing it. I plan to not use the exhaust tips that came with the kit, I think a simple slant cut 3" polished tip will do for my tastes. That means I will probably be fabbing hangars that will work with the mounts already on the car.

Jay

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #792
Whenever you get the tail pipes finished I would like to see how that turns out!

Jay
I'm hoping to work on the tail pipes in the next few weeks. I will get some good pictures so you can see what i did to make it work.

More ABS wiring

Since the last time I posted I got the wiring covered in easy loom and all the sensor wire run I still have to put the connectors on the front sensor wires but that's easy. I'm still figuring out where I want to run the connectors to connect to the front sensors. My current plan is to run the sensor wires through this hole in the engine bay and connect the sensors in he engine bay. I was going to see if I was going to see if I can get the brackets need to mount the ABS wires to the struts and the frame of the car.

I still have to connect the grounds and a few more power and signal wires but then it should be done. I'm planning on running the grounds to the chassis most likely where the front seat mounts.

I'm going to clean a part of the paint off drill a hole in the side and connect the grounds. When I get the system all wired up I'm going to easy loom the rest of the wires and clean everythign up. Hopefully in the next few week I can power bleed the system to check it for leaks lets hope there are none.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You're like a "project pit bull", amazing persistence to constantly move your project forward. Quite impressive I must say!

Best of luck with the brake lines, and electronic parts in your ABS! When I installed the rear TCE brakes on mine, I had rather persistent leaks where the NPT threads screwed into the calipers, but the MM brake lines didn't have any leaks, as I've come to expect, and appreciate from their products. At least your system won't have NPT threads, thank goodness.

Jay

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #794
You're like a "project pit bull", amazing persistence to constantly move your project forward. Quite impressive I must say!

Best of luck with the brake lines, and electronic parts in your ABS! When I installed the rear TCE brakes on mine, I had rather persistent leaks where the NPT threads screwed into the calipers, but the MM brake lines didn't have any leaks, as I've come to expect, and appreciate from their products. At least your system won't have NPT threads, thank goodness.

Jay
Did you put any sealant on the threads of the NPT fitting? I did on the NPT connection on the caliper and didn't have any leaks.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #795
Still working on the ABS wiring. I have two more connections under the dash and finishing wiring up the front ABS sensor connections. I put the sensors on the spindles when I thought about how I thought about how I was going to route the wires to the car. I decided to see if I could fine the brackets that come from the factory. That turned out to be harder then I thought. I found one on ebay for the left side of the car but they wanted $17 for it and you could tell it was really rusted but they painted over it. I was going to hit the junk yards when I did a search and found all the brackets and hardware on ebay from a seller for $25 so I bought it.

I just need to clean them up a bit but it all looks pretty good. The left side bracket has a small bend in it but easy to fix. Unfortunately tonight will probably be the last chance I will be able to work on it for the next two weeks. Between my work schedule and a out of town wedding next weekend I'm not sure if I will be able to work on the car.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Did you put any sealant on the threads of the NPT fitting? I did on the NPT connection on the caliper and didn't have any leaks.
I used ARP thread sealant and turned the 90 degree fittings another turn farther than I was comfortable with, and then they sealed up. I used to do a lot of commercial/industrial gas pipe work, by far the best sealant is anaerobic thread sealant, but I didn't have any.

Jay

·
Registered
116 Posts
EXCELLENT JOB SO FAR. I hope you plan on doing the rest of the Saleen kit down the road it would look sweet!!!!!Either way nice car.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #798
EXCELLENT JOB SO FAR. I hope you plan on doing the rest of the Saleen kit down the road it would look sweet!!!!!Either way nice car.
Thanks I've thought about doing the rest of the Saleen kit at some point but we will see.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I was on E-bay looking for the type of rear bumper hangar mounts that Ford originally used on the 01-04 Cobras, and found what they used, but also found a new substitute from Pypes that have the frames made of stainless.

Jay

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #800
Bit of an update on the car. I started to finish up the wiring on the ABS yesterday. I got the ABS indicator light installed on the gauge cluster bezel. I ended up using the same bulb they use in the instrument cluster. The only drawback is its very bright but I did find a solution to fix that. The fittings for my brake install some of them had red caps on the ends that happen to fit nice and tight over the bulb. Which also helped in holding it in place.

I did however run into another problem that isn't a big deal. I ordered a new speedometer cable for the car since mine kept bouncing so bad the one I received was wrong its for a car without a speed sensor. I have to figure out if that was my mess up or LMR. I ordered another one and will work on getting the other one sent back. Unfortunately I won't have it until Tuesday so I can't put the dash back together yet.

While I wait of the speedometer cable I'm going to work on getting the rear shocks installed. The front struts are there way they were supposed to arrive on Friday but got delayed due to weather and are showing up tomorrow. Once I get them I can start to put the front end back together and start working on the bump steer setup on the front and rear of the car. I'm going to order new tires for the car in the next week or two so I can get the car back on the ground and check the ride height. I haven't figured out if I'm going to try the new Yokohama ADVAN A052 or stick with the BFG Rival I heard the A052 has better mid corner grip but wear out really fast. I should have more updates this week since I finished up my work project I'm going to push as hard as I can to get the car back on the road its been stting on jack stands for way to long.

781 - 800 of 821 Posts