Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 861 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Git some time to work on the car this weekend. I'm done painting the inside of the car which is nice since it is really messy. The paint on the roll bar came out good.

I was going to pull out all the parts of the harness that went to the center console but decided to leave them in just in case I decided to put one in some time down the road. This is the mess I started with.

This how it all turned out in the end. That big bundle is the center console wiring I figured it would be fine under the driver seat.

Its now ready to have the carpet installed but I ran out of time plus I didn't leave it in the sun to soften it up so I could fit it into the car. I'm going to work on that next time. I pretty happy with the progress so far but I know i have plenty to do. But the good news is I'm going to be moving back into my house in the next couple weeks so I can work on the car allot more. I also got this ready for the engine.

The parts are shipping Monday so I should have them on Friday would be my guess. I will get some pictures when they show up. I'm hoping to get another weekend of work on the car before Christmas but not sure if that's going to happen. My work is crazy so not sure if I will have time.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Just a small update I got all the engine parts in yesterday from Fordstrokers. Everything looks great can't wait to start building it.

I didn't get a chance to work on the car last weekend and probably won't for the rest of the this year since I have to much going on at work and family. I'm hoping in the new year once things go back to normal I should be able to put allot of work into the car. My hope is to have it running by April of next year maybe sooner. I did get to autocross this weekend it was the final event of the season.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
So not much has happened with the car lately with my work schedule and the holidays. Unfortunately the work part isn't going to let up until Feb so not much is going to happen until then I've been mostly getting parts so when the time comes i can go straight to work on it non stop. I did it out and do a few exterior I cleaned up the manual mirrors I got and fixed up some of the trim but nothing major.

I did get a chance to start measuring the main journals of the crank. It was a bit tricky at first but I'm starting to get the hang of it now.

Its easy to do the first one but man the second one is hard with counter weight in your way.

I also noticed some surface rust on the engine block. It doesn't help it can't get humid where I live and I'm only a couple miles from the ocean. So I cleaned it off wiped down the surfaces with some oil and wrapped it in a bag to protect them for now. I had it wrapped up before in a black bag but decided to go clear this time so I can see if surface rust starts to happen again.

Like I said not much going on right now but hopefully next month I will really get a chance to work on the car.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Not to much going on with the car right now. I did finish measuring all the main and rod journals that was a long process or it seemed long since I only got to work on it for about an hour each night. I also started playing around with my bore gauge so I can start to measure the rod and main bores it took some practice but I think I'm ready to start measuring. I'm hoping in the next couple weeks I will have allot of time to work on the car and I can get this project moving again. I'm shooting for April/May time frame to get it running and ready to register.

I did add some whoa to the go I found these on here and decided to buy them.

I was at one time going to buy the kit but all I really wanted was the calipers so I've been looking off and on for a bit for a used set.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Im going to run 13 inch rotors on the front. I have a couple sets of rotors I used to run one for autocross and the other for open track. There Baer racing eradaspeed rotors that should work with these calipers. I have a set that are barely used maybe 4 or 5 autocross events so I’m going to clean them up and use them.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Small update on the car. I'm starting to do more work on the engine I got the bore gage figured out so I decided to pull all the rods apart clean them and set the torque on the rod bolts to get them ready to measure with the bore gage. I'm hoping to measure them tonight or tomorrow. It seems pretty easy to do I think the hardest part was getting the bore gage zeroed out it takes a bit to get it right. my hope is over the next week or two I can get all the bores measured so I can start to set my bearing clearance. I would love to have the bottom end built by the end of February. Here's a shot of the fun I was having last night.

Before I started this project it had been so many years since I had sat down and worked on this car I forgot how relaxing it can be to sit down and work on a it or maybe that's just me.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I got more work done on the engine this weekend. I finished up measuring the rod housing bores and everything looks good. Then worked on the bearing clearance on the rods which didn't come out to good there a little bit tight so I have to get a few new bearings that Clevite has that helps open the bearing clearance a bit. I started on measuring the mains last night I got though the first two and so far so good. This is me doing what my son tells me all the time "I'm making a mess".

I'll tell you what the 4 bolt main caps on this block are no joke didn't realize how heavy they are.

I'm hoping to get through the rest this week if I'm lucky. But by the end of this week my work schedule will go back to normal and I should be able to get some time off.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I finally got all the bearing measurements done on the engine. I found out my rod and main clearances were to tight so I'm going to have to switch to a new bearing that will give me more clearance. Its going to take a couple days to get them so I decided to work on the interior. I put the carpet in the car and found a glove box it was grey but I had some black interior paint so I got it painted. Not sure what I'm going to do around the shifter area since I'm not going to run a center console.

I also mocked up the brakes to make sure the calipers work with my rotors and cleared the my wheels.

The rotors I have will work fine so that's good since I really didn't feel like getting new ones. Then test fitted the wheels and had tons of clearance.

I'm going to work on some of the interior stuff over the next few days to start getting that done. I still have to get seats for the car been looking at getting the Corbeau A4 seats but not sure just yet. There the last part I need for the interior. Now that my work schedule is back to normal I should be able get more done on the car.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I finally got to work on the motor and finished up measuring the bearing clearances on the mains and setting the thrust on the crank. I also got the crank installed this weekend.

Its feels like I'm making progress on the motor. I'm working on the rod bearing clearance now hoping to have that done by this weekend so I can start hanging pistons. Then I need to start on filing rings for the pistons which seems like a pain in the ass.

i still need to do some more work on the interior of the car. I'm starting to look more at seats for the car I'm not completely sold on the Corbeau A4 just yet. I've been looking around at a few others.

I found this one from OMP and it looks pretty good not a bad price.

https://www.carid.com/1992-ford-mustang-seats/omp-style-series-tuning-seat-735691785.html

These also look good but I know nothing about NRG seats.

https://www.carid.com/nrg-innovations/nrg-innovations-rsc-400-frp-bucket-seat-universal-672145494.html

I also looked at going fixed back with Kirkey road race a Sparco Evo2 or Cobra Imola which I had before and it was a good seat. I've also owned an Ultra shield fixed back aluminum seat which was also good.

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/47500/SEAT-ALUMINUM-16-INTERMEDIATE-15-LAYBACK-ROAD-RACE

https://www.sparcousa.com/evo-ii-us

https://www.subesports.com/cobra/imola-pro-fit-gt/cob-6050

I'm not sure about the fixed back seats. I still want to use the factory seat belts when I drive to the track then harnesses when I'm at the track. The one thing I used to run into when I had fixed back seats with the factory seat belts is they wouldn't sit around my waist. Since the lap belt would be held up by the sides of the seats. I'm not to worried about the seats right now since the car won't be driving until some time in May hopefully. Progress is moving slower then I would like on the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The more I watch your build the more ashamed of mine I get. You're doing a killer job! I'm looking forward to losing to this car.

I'm curious as to what you land on for seat choice. I'm running some eBay seats that were in the car when I bought it... and after I cage my car some proper seats are on the list.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The more I watch your build the more ashamed of mine I get. You're doing a killer job! I'm looking forward to losing to this car.
Your car is what pushes me to get mine up and running. Every time I see it all I can think is I need to get my car moving. I might need something to drive this weekend let me know if you want a co-driver. I saw in your build thread you mentioned some fresher tires if you have any 315 take offs you want to unload let me know. I need a couple 315 BFG for test fitting on the front and back.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
I got more work done on the motor. I got the pistons hung on the rods and the all the ring gaps set. Now after allot of work I have all the rods and pistons installed in the block.

Here's the pistons on the rods. There a Wiseco 4.125 I got from fordstrokers.

I found it wasn't to hard to get them in the block I used a tapered ring compressor from ARP and it worked great.

I got off them torqued down and ready to go. I rotated the assembly a few times and it moves really smooth.

Now it's time to move on to the cam. I'm hoping from here the engine build will start to go faster but we will see still allot of work to do.

I did make a decision on the seats for the car I ended up getting a Sparco Evo 2 US for my driver seat and a Corbeau FX1 for my passenger seat. The club I race with was hosting the event so I work tech inspection so I got to sit in every version of the FX1 and a few Evo 2 and I liked how the Evo 2 fit me better then the FX1. I ordered those last night they should be here in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
That shortblock is a thing of beauty. Those are such nice blocks and internals.

One thing I have yet to conquer on my own is dialing in a cam and degreeing it. I know how it works, I know what to do, but I've never attempted to do it. I've never had a motor that really would of benefited from it. Hell, I was half concerned my setup now was one bad day away from bending a valve haha! But I'm glad to see yours is coming along. Before you know it, it'll be making good power.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
That shortblock is a thing of beauty. Those are such nice blocks and internals.

One thing I have yet to conquer on my own is dialing in a cam and degreeing it. I know how it works, I know what to do, but I've never attempted to do it. I've never had a motor that really would of benefited from it. Hell, I was half concerned my setup now was one bad day away from bending a valve haha! But I'm glad to see yours is coming along. Before you know it, it'll be making good power.
Thanks man its coming along. It felt really good to get the motor this far since I have never built one to this extent myself. I'm in the same boat I've never dialed in a cam before the last one I put in the motor all I did was install it and a friend set it up for me. I put the cam in last night but that was as far as I got. I have the timing set just need to get that in and check the cam thrust. I bought most of the parts for the engine from fordstrokers and Woody has been such a huge help getting this motor together answering all my dumb questions. I just can't wait to get this thing up and running.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Why the dished pistons? Are there plans for a blower? I used flat tops in my 363 (also with 58cc AFR heads), I do run 93 octane. Also curious about the 3.25" stroke, and why you chose to give up the displacement of the 3.4" crank? Cost is the same.

Just curious, I think you're doing a fabulous job on the car!

Jay

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Why the dished pistons? Are there plans for a blower? I used flat tops in my 363 (also with 58cc AFR heads), I do run 93 octane. Also curious about the 3.25" stroke, and why you chose to give up the displacement of the 3.4" crank? Cost is the same.

Just curious, I think you're doing a fabulous job on the car!

Jay
To be honest not doing better research before buying parts is why its a 347 and not a 363. When I first started this build I wanted to build a 347 the plan was to do it in a stock block. I decided to go aftermarket since I worried about the stock block not being able to handle the power and abuse. It probably would have been fine in a stock block but I wanted the piece of mind the Dart SHP block provided. When I saw how heavy the Dart block was I wanted to see what could be done to make it lighter. I found the big bore version was 10lb lighter then the standard bore. I did think at this point why not go 363 if I do a big bore block but worried about it passing smog in CA and I didn’t think the AFR heads would be able to flow enough for the 363. I think I was wrong on both counts. The dish pistons were planned I wanted to keep the compression around 9.5:1-9.8:1 so I could run the crappy 91 octane gas we have in CA fine.

If I had to do it over again it would most likely be a 363 but I would keep the lower compression. I'm planning later on down the road to either rebuild it and turn it into a 363 or I have thought about a small Vortech 5psi kit but first I need to get the car up and running.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Started working on the fenders last night. I taped up on the front of the car to start figuring out how I'm going to get them fitted to the body. I focused on the front of the car first since its going to take the most work. The rear should be pretty easy the only hard part is the cutting up of the body. I first started by getting all the molding pieces off the front fenders. Then I taped up the flares on the side of the car.

The tough part about the front is the MM suspension adding an 1 1/2 inches to the wheel base and getting a 315/18 tire to swing under the fender in the front. I had to do allot of work to get a 275/17 to fit. The main problem is the lower part of the fender where it curls in just below the molding. I'm thinking about following the fender arch all the way down the fender which would trim about 2 inches of the edge fender then cover it up with the molding and adding the Cervini's Saleen front air dam. The lower fender moldings are attached to the air dam so I could use that to flare out the bottom and use strips of aluminum to hold it out so the tire can swing under the fender.

Side note I did order seats for the car. I decided to go with a Sparco Evo 2 US for the driver seat and a Corbeau FX1 for the passenger seat. I tech inspection at the local autocross and I got to sit in every version of the FX1 and the Sparco Evo seat and I found the Sparco fit me the best. I should have the Sparco on Monday I'll get some pictures when it comes in.

61 - 80 of 861 Posts