Ford Mustang Forums banner

281 - 300 of 809 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
The build looks great man! When I got mine back on the road in a more appropriate street trim I have more fun than I did as a "race car."

Thanks for posting those last two pictures. I've been trying to figure out if those valve covers will fit under a TFS track heat intake. I really don't know the height difference between mine and a cobra manifold but I have a 3/8" and worst case a 1" spacer I plan on trying out.

Did you plug the passenger side rear hole?
It's plugged there isn't anything you can put there with the throttle linkage. I originally planned to have the breather tube there until I realized it wasn't going to work.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
I haven't had a chance to work on the car in a couple weeks. I got the 3/8 hard lines from LMR so I worked on getting them installed in the car. I will say it is not easy if you have sub frame connectors in the car. Trying to weave the hard lines between the body and the sub frame connector was difficult. If your going to replace your hard lines I found it was easier to route them starting at the back of the car towards the front. It has less bends so its easier to weave it through the opening between the body and sub frame connector. Make sure you have plenty of room around the car since the lines are very long and your going to be swinging them around allot getting installed.

Here's some of the parts that came with the kit.

Fuel filter

Fuel pump hanger

Hard lines

Here's some pictures of the lines installed in the car.

The one thing that you have to beware of is the clamps that hold the hard lines in the car from the factory will not the fit the 3/8 lines. I happened to have some line clamps that I was going to use for something else that worked out good. I still need to add a few more line clamps to finish it off but so far its working out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good stuff Peter.

So you had to kind of straighten out the closest bend near the SFC, feed it through and then rebend? And are those new brake lines I see too? I plan on new lines as I'm going old school and changing the car from being fuel injected to carbureted so mine will be different but the brake lines should be similar.

Not to steal your thunder but this is where I'm at...

Still have to do the rear of the car, front fender/flare rework, and then paint. This never ends but I'm enjoying the time spent on it. I know you are as well.:)

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
The lines come bent around in the middle for packaging since there a good 13 feet long. I didn't have to bend them to get them though the sub frame connector just had to weave them through which caused them to swing all over trying to get the different bends in the line between the sub frame connector and body.

The front brake lines are new the ones in the car were pretty beat up so I figured now was a good time to replace them. The line that runs to the rear of the car is the original one but I did build new lines for the axle. I just need to mount the front calipers and bench bleed the master and the brakes will be done.

I've been having fun building the car just wish I had more time to work on it. When I started this build I had planned on having it up and running by June this year. Now I'm just hoping to have it done this year.

I've been checking out your build it looks great can't wait to see the built engine. I wish I could do what ever I wanted with the engine and not have to worry about smog. Well I could do what ever I want with the engine but then I would have to tow the car everywhere and I really don't feel like do that again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The price we pay to live in the places we love, eh? Our Governor is very fond of yours and has adopted much of what CARB has done to California. I'll find a way:) Anyway, keep up the good work. I don't come here often but when I do I always look to see what you or Danny have been up to.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Got the parking brakes installed in the car the past couple weekends nice to finally have it done. They still need some adjustment but they do work. I used the parking brake handle from a 1994 mustang and the cable kit is from wilwood.

Then I got to work on the battery tray for the car I had started on it before but didn't make allot of progress. Still working on the all the stuff under the car but needed a break from laying on the floor.

Going to work on getting the diff filled with fluid and the driveshaft installed then work on the front brakes so I can bleed the brakes. My only worry right now is the xpipe when I when to mock it up the cats hit the body of the car and couldn't reach the header on the driver side plus the passenger side was hanging pretty low. I will have to see how it looks once the car is back on the ground.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
When did your torque boxes rip out?

I see you have the reinforcements. But couldn't help but notice the big ol rip.
They ripped out years ago. When I first started to autocross the car I had Hotchkis upper and lower control arms in the car which were one of the worst mods or at least the uppers were and they just killed the torque boxes on the car. I had them welded up once then they cracked again. Then I added the wild rides battle boxes to the car and it stopped. I'm going to have it welded back up and see about reinforcing that area more. The battle boxes I have in the car are not welded in right now so I was going to have them welded in.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
I got the battery mount finished up last night. Going to start working on the wiring on the driver side tonight. I had to get a replacement coil connector the one in the car was cracking and the wires came out of it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ah yes, Braille battery, I'm feeling it man! Great way to drop some excess mass.

Looks to be getting close, are you going to do the tuning?

Jay

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Ah yes, Braille battery, I'm feeling it man! Great way to drop some excess mass.

Looks to be getting close, are you going to do the tuning?

Jay
I'm going to write the start up tune for the car and see how it goes. I'm leaning towards having Decipha write a tune for the car but not sure right now. I know I can do it myself it will just be the time it will take to learn how to tune it right. The issue with that is I might not have much time to drive it on the street before it has to have the smog completed on it. The DMV can issue a one day pass or up to a 3 month pass. If I get 2 month pass I would look to doing it myself if its short I will have Decipha tune it.

The car is getting close I've give up on setting time lines right now because who knows what will come up.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
The coil is in the car and the wiring for the starter solenoid is wired. I'm going to try and get the fan wired tonight or tomorrow. Should be pretty easy based on the instructions.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
I've done more work on the engine bay over the past few days. I finally got the fuel lines installed on the fuel rails. I ended up replacing my factory ones with Russel lines.

I didn't like how the flopped around so I added some hose clamps to hold them in place.

Then I tied them together with some tape.

Also got the smog vacuum lines connected and the wiring for the fan run. I just need to connect the main power line and the switched power line.

I started on the brakes and ran into a bit of a problem. When I installed the pads in the calipers the rubbed on the rotor hats and bolts. It looks like my Baer rotors are not going to work so I will have to figure something else out. I contacted TCE and Todd was quick to respond even on a Saturday with an option.

I was hoping to get the brakes bled today but will have to put it off until I can solve the problem. Now for the engine bay I only few thing I need to do. I need to finish wiring the fan connect the MAF and intake tubing get a belt and put the plug wires in the car. I would like to try and start the car this month but we will see.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Made some good progress on the car this weekend. I got most of the fan wiring done all I need to do is get one wire connected to a ignition source so the fan won't run while the car is off. I'm going to be running a small battery an I don't want the fan draining the battery when the car isn't running.

Then I started work on the exhaust That has been a pain in the butt. I really wish I could just run an off road x-pipe working around these cats sucks. I had to clearance the body some to keep the cat from hitting the body on both the passenger and driver side of the car.

I also had to take an inch out of the exhaust tubing to shorten it a bit. Which I figured I would have to do that since the motor sits an inch back now. Getting the x-pipe connected was the real pain. Its just mocked up for now I'm going to put in the mufflers and tailpipes so I can make sure everything is in right.

The last time I worked on the car I had a problem with the front brakes rubbing. I talked with Todd at TCE and he recommended a hat that is made by Wilwood that should work. So I decided not to use it and bought the Wilwood 140-9107 kit for the car. I will say if your looking for a wilwood kit or parts talk to Todd at TCE he had the best price on the kit. He also got it with the pads I wanted. I worked on getting it all installed this weekend.

I started by getting the rotors built.

Then worked on getting the shimming right so the calipers were placed right.

Then I got everything mounted in the car.

I still need to safety wire the rotor bolts. They say you don't need to do it but its recommended. So I'm planning on doing that tomorrow night.

Based on where I'm at now with the car I actually pretty close to a point where I can start it. There is still allot but allot of its easy. The only hard parts I have to finish are the exhaust and gas tank. Still have to get it drained of all the old gas.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Getting closer to getting the engine bay finished. I just need to get a belt fill the car with fluids and get the dipstick installed. I finally got the spark plug wires installed and the intake installed. I was planning on using the factory intake on the car but ran into a bunch problems getting it to fit. I guess when you raise the intake and move the engine back an inch you run into problems. I ended up getting a black BBK cold air intake. Its going to get really close to the strut tower brace so I'm a bit worried about that but I should be able to make it work.

I picked up some wire separators from summit and got the plug wires cleaned up.

Closer to getting it done going to work on the wiring inside the car tonight to try and get that finished.

I still need to figure out what to do with the wide bands. I can get the one in the driver side but not sure how I'm going to get one in the passenger side. I did look into using the wide bands to replace the factory narrow bands and it looks like it could work but I don't think I want to go down that road.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
During the weekend I finished up safety wiring the brake rotors this weekend and got the front brakes installed. I'm ready to bleed the brakes but going to wait until next weekend when I have more time to get it done.

I also started to work on cleaning up the wiring in the car for the gauges.

i'm going to wire up the widebands then figure out how I'm going to make them work. I might only monitor the driver side for now until I can figure out what do about the passenger side. I don't need them to get the car started.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm curiously awaiting for you to get the car running so I will know if the stock T5 is going to hold up to the torque. I'm building a similar combination for my DD, and been thinking about an Astro A5. I figure your torque monster should be a good guideline as to T5 durability for other than drag usage, especially when you get those big stickies mounted.

Jay

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
I’m hoping it will hold up for at least 2 years. Its a WC T5 that went through 10 years of autocross on sticky tires and held up good. I came close to swapping everything out for a TKO600 but didn’t want to spend the money. I also talked with MDL and they said going with a T5-Z would be enough for my car since I’m not trying to launch on drag slicks. I also looked at the Astro A5 which would be a another choice.

281 - 300 of 809 Posts