Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It appears my dome light is functioning opposite what it should be. With both doors closed, I can press the 2 light switches and the lights come on. However, open the passenger door and the light does not come on. Pressing the switches doesn't turn them on either. If I have the passenger door closed and the driver door open, no light comes on. If I manually depress the plunger, the dome light illuminates.

I'm confused what's going on here. The hatch light is functioning normally... open a door and the hatch light comes on.

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
there is one dome light in the middle, doors control that

the outer two bulbs are controlled by the switches on it.

so describe better what lights are doing what.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here we go:

With both doors closed, I read 12v to the green/ yellow connector on the roof and 0V at the black/blue connector. With the driver door closed and the passenger door open, I read the opposite - 12v at the black/blue connector on the roof and 0V at the green/yellow connector.

With both doors closed and pressing the passenger switch, the passenger light and center light come on. Turning that off and pressing the driver switch turns on the driver light and center light. Pressing both switches only turns on the center light.

With the driver door open and the passenger door open, neither switch turns on a light.

Hope this helps.

Update with more info:

With both doors closed, and with the dome light switches turned off, rolling the panel dim switch to "on" does nothing. It doesn't light up the center light. Turning on either the left or right side dome light switch, and then turning the panel dim roller to the "on" position turns the lights off. The panel switch still turns on the hatch light like normal. With both dome light switches on, turning the panel dim switch to "on" turns off the center light.

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
do you have the wiring diagram to follow along?

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
go to bbb industries and print one up there, and let me know.

if you cannot get one, I can scan and email mine.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go to bbb industries and print one up there, and let me know.

if you cannot get one, I can scan and email mine.
ah, this site is amazing, never knew it existed. I've got the Courtesy Lights Wiring Diagram

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
so you are good?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so you are good?
still having some trouble bud.

If it wasn't working completely, it would be a different story, but the fact that it's working under certain conditions has be baffled. Any help with the diagnostic work?

I just checked, and with both doors closed and with the rheostat turned on, there is 12V power at the blk/bl cable at the dome light. Also, with the passenger door open, I am reading 12V to both cables. So, would the problem be in the dome light itself?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I figured it out. There's suppose to be a 3rd screw at the dome light which acts as the ground screw. Dome light fully works now!

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
you are welcome

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I found this older thread as I was researching a related dome light issue. I was excited to learn I could get a wiring diagram from the referenced website, but dismayed to find they stopped offering that service January 31, 2020.

I keep coming up zeros.

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
pay for a subscription

or buy an EVTM from ebay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts