Ford Mustang Forums banner

1987 Inertia Switch

719 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  indy2000 
#1 ·
Any know if the white plunger of the Inertia Switch is supposed to have any sort of resistance when pressing it? Mine seems very loose when I press it in and out and does not seem to hold any position. I believe it is going out intermittently. Any help would be great.

#2 ·
Only when it trips is there resistance, otherwise its loose

very doubtfull it is intermit tripping, its binary, trips require manual reset, and you will know
'

your issue is elsewhere

#4 ·
ok there are times I feel like
Are you having to rest it? Should be set or tripped no half way. You can un mount it and bump them to watch them trip.
yes when I check it out in the rear of the car it’s very loose it does not set in an up or down position just flops around. I have an intermittent no start where the fuel pump does not kick on. I wiggle the plunger up and down which feels very loose and it fires up.

#3 ·
Are you having to rest it? Should be set or tripped no half way. You can un mount it and bump them to watch them trip.

#6 ·
It should click when it pops open, I think it clicks when you reset it been a while since I have played with one. I am not suggesting it but you can temporarily bypass it to see if it fixes it. I have never heard of one go bad. You can grab a used one at the jy for a couple bucks.

Take it out play with it put a meter on it. Bump it it opens, push the button it should close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.