Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 1982 gt. I was given time slips showing 10.90’s in the quarter. But I am going to race and hit cruise nights. Problem is it has headers to flow master 40‘s that dump before rear axle. So cop attracting loud. Don’t want to choke it so was going to go with flow master 3 inch tail pipes. But a buddy has a 1990 with a ken bell and does not like the sound of the 3inch. Will I kill performance by choking it down to 2.5 inch tail pipes? Headers to mufflers measure to 2.5 inch

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Been there. The loss of ET I saw was more due to the weight of the full exhaust than the restriction. MPH wasn't off by enough to be concerned with, about 1.5 mph. The fact that it got quieter was well worth the slight loss of ET and MPH. Besides, 2.5 fits a LOT better than 3" does. The only reason I'd ever suggest 3" is if the rest of the system is 3". That's what mine was, 3" from the headers to the 3" in/out mufflers, then reducers and 2.5" tail pipes. It is quieter. Current car is all 3" and a little (lot) too loud. Might be time for cats on this one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts