Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas? The car is missing real bad when im riding around. The check engine light is also on. I replaced the plugs about 30 miles ago and black soot is starting to form around the electrode. It may be that its rich, prolly needs to be retuned but it should run better than this you think? Im curious as to what code the computer is spitting out (hopefully its a rich code) gonna have it scanned on monday and see. Ive reset the computer, cleaned the chip, outta ideas, also the plug threads have some oil on them...........sorry for the rant, been a long day.:barf:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hmm kinda hard to say based on info you gave but here are the 1st 2 things to look for, Cam timing and check for vac leak. The easiest way to search for vac leak is get a can of starter fluid and spray at base of intake and anywhere a leak is possible. If idle goes up will you found a leak. As for timing check compression you will prolly have low compression if timing is off or if only 1 cam is off, 1 bank will be lower than other bank. What else did you change ? Cams shouldnt effect A/F ratio much

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, the cams is the only thing ive changed. I will do a compression test monday and check for vaccum leaks also....thanks again for the reply

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I still havent done the compression check yet.....but my mech. told me due to the high duration of those cams, im not going to have as much vaccum. I drove it for a spell today, and its missing pretty good at part throttle, almost like its on 7 cylinders. We are going to pull the code on tuesday at the shop and see what it says. Hopefully it will be a easy fix, then I can haul it to jms to get the tune done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts