Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Mustang GT, should put down around 750 rwhp. Old turbo made 737 rwhp. It is a STREET car, but I would like it to hold traction at least in 3rd and 4th gear. Right now it has a tubular k-member, coil-overs in the front, KYB adjustable struts and shocks, Steeda lower control arms, both sway bars are still hooked up and they will remain hooked up as it is a street car. I have 3.73's out back for gears.

I am running a 18 x 9 up front and a 18 x 10 out back. Tires out back are a 315/30/18 Hoosier drag radial. The Hoosier's worked pretty good when they were new, but now I can spin them pretty easily in 3rd and sometimes 4th. I'd like a tire that can be driven in the rain if I get caught in it. I've ran M/T drag radials and Nitto drag radials on my old fox. They both did a good job, but this is a whole new ball game with the turbo car making some steam.

Let's hear some suggestions!

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
You can run the Mickey's, they're a lot better in the rain than the hoosiers (what isn't?), but traction isn't going to be any better.

If you want traction, for YOUR application I would look at a nice boost controller that does boost by gear. That should help you get the power down.

Also, changing to something like a 3.27 gear would help make that power more manageable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Also agree with him on the boost controller
U can get a good digital one that allows u to control boost based on rpm for when it on the street
Eboost2 is a good setup but they are 500 bucks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Toyo TQ's are the best drag radial I've run so far. My car will dead hook at any speed as long as the car is moving. Granted my 510 wheel isn't your 750 wheel, but I'm only running a 275 and not a 315.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nitto 555R if you want decent mileage out of a good hooking tire thats not bad in the rain at all. A truely street friendly dr imho.

Mickey et street radials if you want more dry traction, but less wet and less mileage.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nitto 555R if you want decent mileage out of a good hooking tire thats not bad in the rain at all. A truely street friendly dr imho.
I had those on my car before the Toyo TQ's. The TQ's are better in every way. Wet or dry traction. They are even wearing pretty good.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I've been planning on runing the 315/30/18 Hoosier drag radial as my next tire. So I'll be watching this one.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You need 3.27 gear swap, 3.73 moving rpm way to fast. As for tires mt et street will give as good traction and good mileage .

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would a tune change be required with swapping to a 3.27 since technically you are adding more load with the longer gear ratio?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Would a tune change be required with swapping to a 3.27 since technically you are adding more load with the longer gear ratio?
It will load better so you might have to add fuel , it will pull like mofo compare to 3.73 . Your speedo need to be adjusted too.

·
Registered
994 Posts
As for tires mt et street will give as good traction and good mileage .
They definitely hook well. But a buddy of mine wiped his out in six months. That was only about 2K miles and two trips to the drag strip.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
They definitely hook well. But a buddy of mine wiped his out in six months. That was only about 2K miles and two trips to the drag strip.
I think it depends on how you drive. I can usually get 6000-8000 miles out of a set of M/T's.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
With dr you should drive like dr not like street car tires , take corner little slower and don't beat on the every time you drive then it will last. Mine got me good 8-10k out of them with tons of track use .

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am running the regular NT05 295 tires and the car holds in 3rd and 4th gear. 763 RWHP but also coil overs in the rear.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It will load better so you might have to add fuel , it will pull like mofo compare to 3.73 . Your speedo need to be adjusted too.
Interesting, the car already hauls the mail very well. Gave me tunnel vision the first time I went for a ride in it...I have sct pro racer software, so adding fuel is no problem. I also have new axles and a diff waiting to go in. Maybe I can convince my neighbor to put some 3.27's in it once spring time comes around.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Interesting, the car already hauls the mail very well. Gave me tunnel vision the first time I went for a ride in it...I have sct pro racer software, so adding fuel is no problem. I also have new axles and a diff waiting to go in. Maybe I can convince my neighbor to put some 3.27's in it once spring time comes around.
It will be different animal , pulls never ends :joy:

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
I am running a 18 x 9 up front and a 18 x 10 out back. Tires out back are a 315/30/18 Hoosier drag radial. The Hoosier's worked pretty good when they were new, but now I can spin them pretty easily in 3rd and sometimes 4th.
how many miles did they last?

i just installed them on my car (we're making similar power) and love them. i've also had great results with the NT05Rs. on the street that is.

You need 3.27 gear swap, 3.73 moving rpm way to fast.
x2. i changed from 373s to 331s (can be found all day long on ebay in like new condition) and it was a huge difference. my 550 tune felt like the old 650 one.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts