Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should i change out my 17x9 04' cobra wheels for 17x8 01' cobra wheels? Which ones would be better for auto-x/ RR ? I run a 255 on front and 275 on rear and the 255 look maybe too small and any bigger and it'll rub like crazy. Any input? What are some lighter weight 17x8's that are 5 spoke, if i need to change up?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I run 03 Cobra 17x9" rims on all 4 corner on my 95GT... I also run a 275/40/17 tire on all 4...

I run this same setup for both street and autox... the only difference is slicks versus street rubber

I did not have any rub issues until I installed my Steeda 34mm sway bar

stick with the cobra wheels and up to 275s on all corners.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I run '03 10th Anniversary 17x9 wheels (slightly more backspacing) with 275's on all four with '96+ spindles and SN95 axles. Just have to do some fender rolling.

For autocross/RR, you will definitely want to ditch the staggered setup. Our cars have enough understeering issues.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so a stagered setup tends to make it understeer? i have 94-95 spindles now, and think that maybe the fronts stick out too wide as it is. i really don't see 275's fitting, i'm probably wrong, i'll have to post pics

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
1993 GT. 03 Cobras with 275/40s on all 4 corners. 96 spindles, MM k-member with forward offset arm. Fox length (Ranger) axles

·
Registered
296 Posts
90' GT, 94-95 spindles, cobra brakes, sn-95 axles out back, stock control arms up front, 03' cobra wheels with 275/40/17's on all four. Just needed to roll the front fender lips a tad bit. My car is very softly sprung and when I push it hard auto-xing the tire might rub a little on the plastic inner fender, but that will be taken care of this winter with coil-overs and stiffer springs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow ur fox cars sit way lower than mine does, i see the general concensus is keep my 04's, roll the fenders a bit, it's more rubbing on the inside of the actual wheel itself, grinding is more like it. i think it's hitting the a-arm. how do i cure this, steeda told me rack limiters, my turning radius is already crappy as it is.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
wow ur fox cars sit way lower than mine does, i see the general concensus is keep my 04's, roll the fenders a bit, it's more rubbing on the inside of the actual wheel itself, grinding is more like it. i think it's hitting the a-arm. how do i cure this, steeda told me rack limiters, my turning radius is already crappy as it is.

I use quite a few rack limiters. I just learned to plan my tight turns ahead of time. There is always steering with the throttle to take care of those pesky tight turns. :)

That pic of mine above is while the car is rolled over. While it isn't in 4x4 mode, it still has some fender gap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
still less than me, i have steeda ultra-lite springs, frpp front control arms, m-2300k kit w/ 94-95 spindles, X2 BJ's, Bumpsteer and a Qa-1 KM- soon to be MM. Do you think 96+ spindles will hurt or help the situation?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The 96 spindles will increase track width slightly. I used a 1/4" spacer in the rear to help fill up the outer part of the wheel well. Otherwise the car looked like a Civic with "gimme that rim" syndrome (when the owner throws on any rims on a car and it looks stupid!) My fenders are rolled and flared a bit. There's a thread here on fender flaring. Lots of good info and ideas in it. Once you have the MM k-member and control arms, you will not need the rack limiter bushings. The control arms allow extra space so the rims do no hit during full lock turning

·
Registered
574 Posts
Let me tell you from experience, the 17X8s will give you no more clearance since they are backspaced differently than the 17X9s.

I've had '00 GT 17X8s, '95 17X9 Cobra Rs, and even a set of '05 17X8s on my '91 all with the stock control arms and 1.5" lowering springs. The '05 wheels rubbed the most, the '00 GT and '95 Rs rubbed the same. I just didn't turn to lock with those wheels on and rarely had issues, now I've upgraded to an MM k-member with control arms and no rubbing at all (and a very good turning radius). You also will get more tire on the ground with wider wheels which gives you less sidewall flex and more contact patch.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
True. fowler86gt here on Corral had 17x9s all around on his 86 (duh, lol). Now it has Tiger Racing Fiberglass fenders

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
could i just change to 90-93 fender? i assume i would need the corresponding frt. fender extensions as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts