Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a 5 lug conversion kit on the car from LRS and I have 98' cobra wheels to put on the car and the wheels don't even come close to clearing the coilover. How to you coil over guys fit 17x8's on your foxbody????

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I just put a 5 lug conversion kit on the car from LRS and I have 98' cobra wheels to put on the car and the wheels don't even come close to clearing the coilover. How to you coil over guys fit 17x8's on your foxbody????
You did purchase a set of 4 bolt CC plates too I assume? What year spindle are you running?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yessir. They're Qa1 as well. They were on the car before with 15x3.5 skinnies.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yessir. They're Qa1 as well. They were on the car before with 15x3.5 skinnies.
Hmmmm, I have 18X9 with a 255 tire up front on mine............What size tire is on the wheels?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only a 245.. This is making no sense. Could it be that it's a 98 Cobra wheel? I thought 94-04 were all the same offset. I need another 1/2" of clearence.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
How long is the spring? I can't run anything longer than 10" springs else my 96 Cobra 8" wheel will contact the spring.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm that may be it. Mine is a 14" 175lb spring. I was going to get a 14" 325lb so should I go shorter? What lb spring do you have?

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
springs are too long although i can't recall if you need a 12 or 10" spring to clear it but search around as i know this has been posted before

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for showing me this! However, does anyone know if the factory 98' Cobra wheels have more backspacing than other years? The bs measures in at 6" even and I feel that that's way too much for an 8" wheel. I've been trying to find information about this and can't seem to find any. Thanks for all the help. I just got done putting my new 5 lug axles in and mounted the wheels up and they sit extremely far in. I'll see if I can't snap a picture.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
do they clear when you raise the spring

or is there somehting else they hit?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
6" backspace wheels with 14" springs is pretty common on street cars so I believe you have other issues.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What other issues could I have? Stock a arms on an aje kmember with Qa1 Coilovers with blistien struts with stock 5.0 spindles. I'm really lost. It looks like I'd still need a tiny bit of space for them to fit with the springs up.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
What other issues could I have? Stock a arms on an aje kmember with Qa1 Coilovers with blistien struts with stock 5.0 spindles. I'm really lost. It looks like I'd still need a tiny bit of space for them to fit with the springs up.
Just throwing some ideas out:

I believe those struts have a little room to adjust at the spindle location. Do you have them pushed away from the spindle as much as possible? You can slot them some more as well.

BTW, I did not realize you were using stock spindles. I had 94 spindles when I had 5.98" BS wheels with a 14" spring. Don't the 5-lug rotors space the wheel outboard a small amount farther than the 4-lug ones? I believe they do and that would probably make them somewhat equal to the ones I had.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
The '98 Cobra wheels are 17x8", 5.72" backspacing, just like all of the other 17x8" GT and Cobra wheels. The 17x9" R58 Cobra R wheels I ran for years with coilovers have a 5.95" backspacing. Basically, it's not the wheels that are the problem in this equation.

I think the combination of the Fox spindle + long springs is the problem.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm well I guess the first thing I will try is the shorter spring. I'm going to order that tonight. Can you use an SN95 spindle with fox brakes? I'm on a budget right now and want this to work out right.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
No, the fox calipers won't work with SN95 spindles/rotors.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. For some reason, a buddy just came over and his 97' Cobra wheels fit right in and have TONS more room than my 98's. It makes no sense, as the backspacing is exactly the same. I'm ordering my 8" coilover springs tonight so hopefully I can get this junk solved. The 5 lug kit is brand new so I'd really just like to keep my fox spindles and such.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Keep in mind with 8" springs that you may need a 1" spacer. When I went from a 10" 300# spring to an 8" 425#, I needed the spacer to get my ride height back up. However, that may have been because I have an older Griggs' coil-over kit that has a shorter threaded sleeve than their current stuff or the MM stuff (I think someone on corner carvers gave me some threaded sleeve heights last year to verify this).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts