Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using who run 17" radials? I'm sure 98% will be done on MT brand but post more specifics on your setup. Able to leave off transbrake/two step with any big wheel setups?

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
With a stick car and nitrous I can't leave the line on the nitrous. I also have to use a lot of clutch control. I prefer 15" radials. I have teamz rear suspension. I can hook a 17" nitto 555r and lift the front tires but track prep has to be perfect. Once the track goes away I'm chasing my tail on them though. I will be running 15" Mickey Thompson in true street this rear in the NMCA west. In PSCA I will stick with my slicks.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
With a stick car and nitrous I can't leave the line on the nitrous. I also have to use a lot of clutch control. I prefer 15" radials. I have teamz rear suspension. I can hook a 17" nitto 555r and lift the front tires but track prep has to be perfect. Once the track goes away I'm chasing my tail on them though. I will be running 15" Mickey Thompson in true street this rear in the NMCA west. In PSCA I will stick with my slicks.
those are jokes for a drag radial

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
those are jokes for a drag radial
I know, but I can get them to hook a lot and are really just my street tires. Most 17" radials are a joke. I have ran on most of them. The 555Rs have the longest life for street driving. The important thing is I gave the OP some sort of answer to his question even though my car is different than his. Hopefully more will chime in and help him out.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all good, I would really want to use 15" radials but I'm still digging on what wheels will clear rear Cobra brakes. Not many radial choices in radial sizes in 16" wheels so I figured I'd play the 17" game. :)

I had a set of Baseline Uppers and sold them, now I still have to buy some uppers. Whoops

·
Registered
582 Posts
front is D&D tubular k member and a arms, strange coil overs

rear is team z relocated uppers, team z double adj. lowers with sway bar. after market stock location sway bar, stock springs 1 coil cut out. strange adj. shocks in the rear. 275/50/17 with M&H drag radials runs a consist 1.44-1.48. 28x10.5x15 slick was a 1.33

leaving off the transbreak at 4200 rpms and 6 lbs of boost. i tried 8-10 lbs and it would just blow the tires off. i have pics of the car the car sits in the Drag suspension thread.

·
Registered
205 Posts
front is D&D tubular k member and a arms, strange coil overs

rear is team z relocated uppers, team z double adj. lowers with sway bar. after market stock location sway bar, stock springs 1 coil cut out. strange adj. shocks in the rear. 275/50/17 with M&H drag radials runs a consist 1.44-1.48. 28x10.5x15 slick was a 1.33

leaving off the transbreak at 4200 rpms and 6 lbs of boost. i tried 8-10 lbs and it would just blow the tires off. i have pics of the car the car sits in the Drag suspension thread.
Sounds slow:leghump:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I run 275/50/17 M&H drag radials on my Capri. They are only like 9" wide on my 9" wheel. Initial testing I have gone 1.37 to the 60' leaving off the trans brake @ 3800 rpm and 6# of boost. This is in my nose heavy 3700# race weight street car. I hope I can get into the 1.2 range. And I am pretty sure I will be able to with my new Team Z suspension and adjustable mounting points on the 9" housing.

I was using Strange shocks and struts, 12" coil overs up front, stock GT coil springs in the rear, Steeda upper control arms and UPR lower control arms. The control arms are the poly bushing style. The new Team Z stuff has rod ends on it.

I have found getting going quick on these "small tires" is suspension tuning AND power tuning. I can't leave with too much power or I kill the tires. Not enough and it leaves soft. But with a 1.37 after only about 12 passes on the new motor combo I was happy. More to come this year. :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I run 275/50/17 M&H drag radials on my Capri. They are only like 9" wide on my 9" wheel. Initial testing I have gone 1.37 to the 60' leaving off the trans brake @ 3800 rpm and 6# of boost. This is in my nose heavy 3700# race weight street car. I hope I can get into the 1.2 range. And I am pretty sure I will be able to with my new Team Z suspension and adjustable mounting points on the 9" housing.

I was using Strange shocks and struts, 12" coil overs up front, stock GT coil springs in the rear, Steeda upper control arms and UPR lower control arms. The control arms are the poly bushing style. The new Team Z stuff has rod ends on it.

I have found getting going quick on these "small tires" is suspension tuning AND power tuning. I can't leave with too much power or I kill the tires. Not enough and it leaves soft. But with a 1.37 after only about 12 passes on the new motor combo I was happy. More to come this year. :)

i have the same tire on my car, they hook and are nice down the road.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I am impressed so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts