Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have beat the living crap out of my inner fender wells. I just dont have enough clearance where the springs are. what did you guys do. I am using a 28x10 hoosier slick. Dont want to go back to the 8 inch wheels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Also try a 1/4 inch spacer on each side. It works for most but mine still rubbed slightly. I ended up keeping the 10 inch rim and going with a 9" slick.

Some still swear up and down the 1/4 inch spacer did the trick. So I would start with that.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i used a big hammer on my car. clears nicely.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10lber big enough. Cant smash the springs. I ordered some 1/2 in spacers. if they are to much I will turn them down on a leith. Clears everywhere fine except the damn spring area.

·
Registered
711 Posts
1/4" should work, but if you can turn them down no biggie.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shoot they are on backorder from jegs and summit. Where can I get some need them by Friday.

·
Registered
711 Posts
oreallys, advanced, autozone

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont have any of those here. Have one parts store(carquest). Found a set of Mr Gasket that summit had they will be here wednesday.

·
Registered
711 Posts
cool man

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Just bang the hell out of the inner fender and look closely at the areas that it will hit.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
got my spacers from hole shot they should have them in stock I had to center the rear end several times to get it just right and beat the inner fender around the spring till I smashed it all the way to make contact with the spring.. running a 15x10 6.5 bs and 1/2 inch spacer the hoosier 275 radial is wider than the M/T 275 I replaced them with

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just did mine, running 28x10.5 on 15x10 w/6.5 bs. If I put a 1/4" spacer it rubs on the fender lip.
I too had probs on the spring area, just bang it till it touches the spring. Also, I spray painted primer on the areas I thought were touching to see where it rubs.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Your setup will clear without spacers-mine did.Just remove the spring pad(rubber) and then hammer the sheet metal near the spring area. That will allow the spring to fit in the spring cup slightly off center(closer to the center of the car).When I did this I picked up over 1/4" of clearance.Good luck,Tim.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
already did that to byker. It just will not clear. Gotta use spacers I beleive. When I put them on and beat the heack out of it for about an hour. We got them to clear. Then when I got it home and unloaded it they were touching. Everything is solid in the rear/ baseline suspension.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i'm using 28x12.5 et street on 15x10 6.5bs
i hammered the crap out of it..using 7/16 spacers..had to use the top hole on mt mega bite jrs and still used the 2 plastic spring pads...leaving the anti roll bar hooked up helps with the body roll , keep the fender lips off the tire(mostle when turning)..

i'm installing coil overs, a fuel cell and tubs ..i'm done with tire clearence issues.

lol

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Is your rear end centered left to right under the car? Do you have the same clearance on both sides?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If you still rub the spring perch you can cut anywhere from 1-1.5 coils off the spring to let the wider part of the slick sit higher. It won't rub then.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
problem solved .250 inch spacers work fine. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
[...leaving the anti roll bar hooked up helps with the body roll , keep the fender lips off the tire(mostle when turning)..

x2

i'm installing coil overs, a fuel cell and tubs ..i'm done with tire clearence issues.

lol[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about trying UPR adjustable spring mounts.They allow the use of coilover springs which then allow you to pound in the spring perch area a ton and should end clearence issues for way less $.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts