Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just made the switch from 600hp Supra to 02 GT (would've gotten a Cobra if I could have found/financed any). What are peoples opinions on the best way to achieve a reliable 11 second daily driven car? At this point (given the apparent cost of modular modding cost) I am considering swapping in a 351w and using that in an NA form to provide the power. Obviously I'd like to avoid the hassle involved in an engineswap if possible.

Opinions please..

TIA

·
Registered
556 Posts
"I just made the switch from 600hp Supra to 02 GT"

Can I ask why?

You'll need a power adder to go 11s in a GT. Or a bigger engine or a DOHC with some bolt ons.

Jeff

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nomore4bangers said:
"I just made the switch from 600hp Supra to 02 GT"

Can I ask why?

You'll need a power adder to go 11s in a GT. Or a bigger engine or a DOHC with some bolt ons.

Jeff
I've been screwing around with Japanese turbo cars for long enough now, so I figured something new would be nice. I had an RX7 before the Supra. The Supra I had wasn't really practical for where I lived...if you saw it you'd understand why =)

I figured a power adder would be needed, but anymore specifics? Is a DOHC swap even worth the $$ needed? 4v longblocks seem to be in the $2-3k range which is supercharger territory.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Unfortunatley, the stock bottom-end on these motors are really weak, so you will have to spend some extra cash to get forged internals if you are going to add a power adder like a S/C, nitrous or a turbo.

You can pick-up a built 2V short block for around 3K, more for 4V.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GT2KDave said:
Unfortunatley, the stock bottom-end on these motors are really weak, so you will have to spend some extra cash to get forged internals if you are going to add a power adder like a S/C, nitrous or a turbo.

You can pick-up a built 2V short block for around 3K, more for 4V.
I did a search and found some people had swapped the 4v heads onto the 2v motor. Evidently the '03 cobra uses a '01 Cobra crank on a 2v cast block with cobra heads. How much work and what is needed to attain this setup? Should I just build the 2v with FI in mind?

·
Registered
493 Posts
demon said:

I did a search and found some people had swapped the 4v heads onto the 2v motor. Evidently the '03 cobra uses a '01 Cobra crank on a 2v cast block with cobra heads. How much work and what is needed to attain this setup? Should I just build the 2v with FI in mind?
The 2003 Cobra comes with forged internals, the earlier models didn't. If you are seriously considering re-building an engine both 2V and 4V can get you there but it will be easier with the 4V, but will cost more.

If you already have a GT and are looking to swap the 2V for a 4V, you will probably need to get the Cobra ECU and a new wiring harness. I'm not sure if anyone here has had any success using the GT ECU and wiring harness with a Cobra motor.

If you want to stay with a 2V motor, you can acheive your goal with P&P SVO Heads and an Extrune Honed SVO Intake. Look into getting a power adder than will push +14 lbs of boost, blower cams, 42lb injectors, return style fuel system, L/T Headers and a really good tune. I am sure that a stroker motor with the previous items I listed would get you into the 10's.

I am sure others will chime in with their setup and experience and correct me if I am worng.

BTW - With the MODS listed, I am in the mid 12's.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
2V's can go 11's N/A. You'd pretty much have to start from the bottom up, but they can go 11's. Bored, stroked, head porting, cams, ported intakes, exhaust, gears, chips slicks.... and the other usually odds and ins, like fuel systems, axles, differentials, and such. It takes a lot of $$$, but you can do it is you want to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
96_Stang_99 said:
2V's can go 11's N/A. You'd pretty much have to start from the bottom up, but they can go 11's. Bored, stroked, head porting, cams, ported intakes, exhaust, gears, chips slicks.... and the other usually odds and ins, like fuel systems, axles, differentials, and such. It takes a lot of $$$, but you can do it is you want to.
I was only hoping to spend in the $6k range...this sounds like it may be a push to achieve!

What can the stock internals hold? What about the T45 and the rearend?

·
Registered
33 Posts
250 shot of nitrous an built engine would get you some 11's easy.

·
Registered
965 Posts
demon said:

I was only hoping to spend in the $6k range...this sounds like it may be a push to achieve!

What can the stock internals hold? What about the T45 and the rearend?
Well... i'm not an expert but, for what i read here, my guess is that the limit of the stock internals and T-45 is just about 400-420 RWHP. Maybe more, but sounds pushing a little....

You can easily get there with a procharger P1SC, a bullit intake, and a dyno tune. And for around $5K.

600RWHP ?? my guess... you have to spend more .. at least internals and a bigger SC.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
BlackStripes2000GT said:

You can easily get there with a procharger P1SC, a bullit intake, and a dyno tune. And for around $5K.

600RWHP ?? my guess... you have to spend more .. at least internals and a bigger SC.
No way to get 600RWHP with what you mentioned other big changes would be needed!

·
Registered
965 Posts
when i said "get there", i was talking about the 400RWHP. There are some people here with just P1SC (or intercooled Vortech), bullit intake (or a true Bullit) and a dyno tune getting more than 400RWHP. Well... assuming MAF and Fuel pump, and 42s inj in the P1SC ... that's is what you have to do anyways... and ok.. maybe some exhaust mod.

The 600RWHP is another story....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
BlackStripes2000GT said:
when i said "get there", i was talking about the 400RWHP. There are some people here with just P1SC (or intercooled Vortech), bullit intake (or a true Bullit) and a dyno tune getting more than 400RWHP. Well... assuming MAF and Fuel pump, and 42s inj in the P1SC ... that's is what you have to do anyways... and ok.. maybe some exhaust mod.

The 600RWHP is another story....
Thanks now you are more accurate as that is pretty much my setup(intercooled Vortech) and I am at 400ish:evil:

·
Registered
660 Posts
IMO you can get into the 11's with a set of slicks, 10-12psi boost, gears, long tubes, driving like you hate it and good tune. People always say that adding blower is immediate rebuild but that is not always true. I've been running 10:1 compression with 8psi boost on stock internals for past 10k miles or so with over 75passes on it with no issues at all. Hope this helps

Alain

·
Registered
193 Posts
WIll the TDC turbo fit the '02 car? If so, spend the $6k on it. With traction, that's an 11sec car. My friends 00GT had a TDC turbo and magnaflow exhaust and ran an 11.97 @ 118. Might wanna check into that route.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts