Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to drag racing on slicks, all my experience has been with drag radials and street tires. I just got a smoking deal on a complete set of Draglites with rubber all around. The rears are 15x8 with M&H 27" x 10" racemaster slicks. After installing them, they look great but damn are they big.

My question is...am I just looking to break parts with a slick this big?

My combo consists of:
- G-force T-5
- Ram Powergrip clutch
- 3:73 gears, 31 spline Mosers, Detroit True-trac diff

My main concern is the trans and the clutch. I'm pretty confident in the rear setup. I also think a 27" tire is a decent height on a 3:73. What do you all think? 8" slick or stick with what I got?

Thanks for your input....Jim K

·
Registered
437 Posts
The tire won't break you car. How you drive it will. 8" slick would do but keep what you got for a little extra insurance that it will hook.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'd just keep the 10 inch slick, with the 8 inch rim the slicks gonna want to bow anyways at the edges cuz the rim needs to be at least 10 inches to get good full contact patch.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
You make 460 to the tires and you're worried about whether a 10" slick is too much?

I've been running a 28x10.5 for the past two years and a 28x9 for several years prior. I was running 15x8 wheels as well. The 28x9 works well on an 8" wheel, but the 28x10.5 will fit and work the same. Just has a little more roll/bulge to it from being on the small rim. The 28x10.5 seems to be readily available at local race tire shops where a 28x9 has to be ordered.

The proper question is more like will a 27" tall tire and 3.73 gear get me through the 1/4 without revving the motor too high. That answer would be, it'll be close but probably OK. With the 3.73 gear and 28x10.5 tire I went through the traps at 131 mph and 6700 rpm. With a 4.10 gear and 325/50/15 drag radial I went through at 128 and 6800 rpms.

I know I couldn't make full 1/4 on a 27" tire with the 4.10 gear and 3.73 would still probably be a little too much. I don't want to spin my motor passed 7k due to a stock 84 block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts