Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Soft 10" will be more likely to bind than soft 12" springs. Otherwise, probably not much, aside from a desire to relocate your lower perch.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Besides the potential bind issue, there is a little bit less weight in the 10" spring. About a pound per spring.
I run 8" springs, but mine are 500 lb/in. The 8" gets the lower spring perch above the tire for a little more inside tire clearance.

Justin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a set of 97 cobra rims and i need to no if thay are going to clear a 12'' spring

·
Registered
913 Posts
On my '92 GT I had a 12" coil spring with Cobra R wheels and 245's, stock a-arm and k-member, 94-95 spindles. There was too much interference and the wheel wouldn't fit with the long spring.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
richs347 said:
On my '92 GT I had a 12" coil spring with Cobra R wheels and 245's, stock a-arm and k-member, 94-95 spindles. There was too much interference and the wheel wouldn't fit with the long spring.

What spring did you go with.

I think I have to get 10'' I have front spindles from a 97 cobra brakes, hubs and im going to run strange struts with coilovers I thought that 12'' coils. I'm also going to run the 97 cobra wheels and I think thay are 17x8.

·
Registered
913 Posts
When I call Griggs they said to use an 8". At the time I was using the 12" and had the stock 5 star rims. I wasn't as happy with the coilovers as I thought I would be and pulled them off when I found the Cobra wheel wouldn't fit. Problems I had: The threads on the collar that fits around the strut was being rubbed out from the larger spring on one area and when raising the car the spring would fall out from its perch. I think the Griggs and Eibach have the system that prevents the spring from dropping out of it's perch when you raise the car. (Using a secondary spring). I was tired of screwing with it any further. I'm now using a standard H&R race spring - with no hassles. I just don't have the time to play with the car like I used to......before wife and child.

EDIT: In addition... I had 400lb coil over front springs with the ride height about the same as with lowering springs - 1.5" lower than stock. Full weight 92 GT with everything - 3600#'s with driver.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Note that different spring rates will locate the lower perch at different elevations [edit: for a given ride height], so you can't really say whether the perch will interfere with your wheels for 10" or 12" springs. Example, a 500lb 10" spring will compress, say, 1.5" (assume the front of the car weighs 1500lb) putting the compressed length at 8.5". A 300lb 12" spring will compress 2.5", putting the compressed length at 9.5".

So you can see how you need to determine where you need the perch to be to avoid interference, and use that in combination with your spring rate and ride height to determine the appropriate spring length.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I had interference with 10" spring, so I went with an 8" 425#.
But these wheels are 6.6"BS with 9-1/2" wide... so VERY different than many people use.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gess I need to no if any body has a fox with 97 cobra brake 5 lug cov with coilover with 97 cobra wheels. If so what spring are you running?

·
Registered
22,792 Posts
I run 17X9 frpp m179 with 255/40/17 tires and a 12" 275# spring. This is with a gr-40 suspension. I had to elongate the top strut mount hole 1/4" and now have no rubbing.

Sorry ......95 cobra brakes front and back.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
mesostophiles said:
Or if you wanna cheat use 94 and up tubular front control arms for .75 more spacing or use a wheel spacer.
I really don't think longer control arms will help the situation of wheel and coil-over clearance. It does nothing to change the relationship of the spindle (which the wheel is mounted to) and strut (which the coil-over it mounted to). It would increase track width, change available camber range, camber curve, and some other smaller details. The wheel spacers would help, but some may not want to use them due to application and clearance.

Just some info, I am using 8" 400# springs. The MM Bilsteins had one of the holes slightly enlarged and I have the spindle pushed in as far as possible (maximizing camber while decreasing coil-over/wheel clearance). I am currently running 17X8 wheels though for street and autoX. I do have enough clearance for 17X9s with 6.12" backspacing ('03/04 Cobra wheels) with the way the struts are mounted on the spindle (pushed in). From looking at it, with 10" springs I would have to change the relationship of the strut and spindle to have the clearance needed or raise the front ride height.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You are reviving a thread that is almost a year old. This thread has already been discussed. You must have a specific question. If you have a question about this topic, please post your question. Posting "ttt" gives us no information as to what you would like to know other than what has already been discussed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts