Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of the quarter myself.....

Does anyone prefer the 1/8 over the 1/4? if so why?

And I wrong in thinking tracks run the 1/8 vs 1/4 because it is 'safer'?

At the track I run at it is always a 1/4, but on the street car only nights they hem it up to an 1/8 which really pisses a lot of people off. Well, that and a lot of other things they do.

Maybe since I was always around the 1/4 I can just relate to the times and trap speeds better.

We also have 'flashlight' drags here which is somewhere around 1/8, but no slips or scoreboards, just line up against whoever will run you and race. The tech in is current inspection, license, registration and insurance - lol.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I Like both. I use to prefer the 1/4 but having been around the 1/8 so much down here in the south I have grown to like it. I do all testing on the 1/8 cause there is nothing that I can do in the 1/4 that I can't in the 1/8. The second half is just holding on for the ride anyway. All the driving is usually over with in the first half.

Plus by testing in the 1/8 it saves on engine parts, gas, breaks etc.

I can totally understand the everyday streetcar guy not liking the 1/8 though. I know I use to hate it.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts

At the track I run at it is always a 1/4, but on the street car only nights they hem it up to an 1/8 which really pisses a lot of people off. Well, that and a lot of other things they do.

Maybe since I was always around the 1/4 I can just relate to the times and trap speeds better.

We also have 'flashlight' drags here which is somewhere around 1/8, but no slips or scoreboards, just line up against whoever will run you and race. The tech in is current inspection, license, registration and insurance - lol.
you may have just opened a can of worms

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Im with shakes88, I used to HATE the 1/8th mile. But I have grown to enjoy it. To me this dont really even matter anymore.. Race tracks are being forced closed and it really angers me because where do street racers go? I think 1/8th mile tracks are perfect in small towns! Right now as we speak in Clarksville TN they are trying to make our local track close it midnight madness.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
love 1/4 mile however, if i have nowhere else to go....i'd have to learn to love 1/8 mile :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

What track do you run?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I've never ran an 1/8 mile track so.......I'll stick with what we got, the 1/4 mile

·
Registered
318 Posts
THe only reason I prefer 1/8th to 1/4 mile is becuase its a 15 minute trip to the nearest 1/8th, but 3+ hours to any 1/4 mile. I agree that all the driving happens in the first half, 330 even. But those higher speeds of the quarter and how universal quarter mile times are make the trip worth while.

Our locak 1/8th was trying to switch to a 1/4 I heard, but insurance costs were too high

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The 1/8th is easeir on part's. Most of the Grude racing down here is a 1/8mi standard but it get's crazy. We got stock susp. car's runnin mid to hi 4's on small track's that hardly have enough shut down room for a hi 5 car.
One thing I know as far as my car if I were to run the 1/4 I would have to change my fuel pump. I guess there are something's that would have to be changed on different car's to run a 1/4mi to.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run at PRP about 5 or 6 times a year.

I may head up Friday for the street light drags, but it will probably only be the 1/8 unless they change their mind.

I also hit the flashlight drags at Beaverun. I like the trip back to the pits going backwards on the road course. Have to wait until October 3rd for the next one of those.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm a fan of the 1/4 and I have never run an 1/8th mile only track. I like the 1/4 better for the speed. I can only go 121 in the 1/8th. Plus to get the most out of the 1/8th you should run lots of gear then you lose streetabilty.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I can only go 121 in the 1/8th.

Wow, that's too bad, LOL, most can't/don't go that fast in the 1/4!

I run both 1/8 and 1/4, mostly 1/8 mile. Run the 1/8 on a regular basis and when I hit the 1/4 it sure "feels" alot longer than twice as far. I've been leaving the 1/4 mile gears in the car at the 1/8 mile, like said above about the back half of the 1/4, your just along for the ride. I like both but the 1/8, its easier on parts, and uses less fuel and is just as an effective test platform.
Except the 1/8 and 1/4 mile tracks I go to have about 600 foot difference in elevation. I've heard of some tracks that run even shorter than an 1/8 mile.

I think driving factor of the 1/8 mile track is safety/insurance. Also, alot of the 1/8 mile tracks are located where long stretches of flat land are uncommon.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Since most of the racing I do is Index racing in the 1/8 mile, it is what I prefer. I will run my car in the 1/4 to get that 9 second pass, but after that, it'll pretty much stick to 1/8 mile.
Personally after having wrecked my white car on the top end of the 1/4 mile at 125 mph, I see it as a little safer only running in the 1/8. I know 20 mph is not that big of a difference, but it still feels a little safer and it is definitely easier on the parts.

Most of the racing is done at the light and in the first 60'. I can easily calculate what my car would do 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile times 1.57 is basically my 1/4 mile. The car is geared for 1/4 mile on motor, but when I decide to spray it, it'll stay geared this way and only be run 1/8 mile. I'd like to crack off some mid 5s in the 1/8 on the spray which would equate to mid to high 8s in the 1/4 if it were geared for it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was raised in Michigan, and never saw a 1/8th mile track till I moved to Tennessee. I use to not like 1/8th mile tracks, but have grown to enjoy them better now. It makes it a lot easier on the car, do not need so much tied up in brake upgrades, and rebuilds do not come around so soon. One of the down sides of semi serious 1/8th mile racing, is the cars are not very useful outside the city limits.

1/8th mile racing is perfect for Midnight Madness type action, since most cars do not see much faster speeds than they see on the Interstates. Much easier to promote to local officials.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts