Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Question: I have a complete rear brake set up from an 07 Gt500. The rear rotors are 11.65. Do you guys know if I can do a rear disc brake swap on my 86 vert? I think the caliper brackets are different.

Or should I just sell them.

Thanks,
Hector

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can make anything work with some fab work. Those rear brakes from the shelby are the same from the 05 V6 up to the 14 GT cars. The Shelbys had a rear brake upgrade from the 13-14 cars. But that setup is the same for everything else. I hope you didn't over pay because,, shelby.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My thoughts are why do this upgrade? If you go to a big power rear brake you are going to lock the rear wheels up and the car is going to come around which ever way you have angle in the steering wheel. Front brakes are larger than the rears because of weight transfer, if you do this setup you will need a proportion valve to balance out the brake bias.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My thoughts are why do this upgrade? If you go to a big power rear brake you are going to lock the rear wheels up and the car is going to come around which ever way you have angle in the steering wheel. Front brakes are larger than the rears because of weight transfer, if you do this setup you will need a proportion valve to balance out the brake bias.
GT500 rear brakes aren't much different than 79-04 rear brakes. actually they are quite similar to 03-04 cobra rear brakes in terms of rotor diameter. obviously money would be better spent to do bigger front brakes but if you upgraded both i dont see an issue with needing a proportioning valve

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
GT500 rear brakes aren't much different than 79-04 rear brakes. actually they are quite similar to 03-04 cobra rear brakes in terms of rotor diameter. obviously money would be better spent to do bigger front brakes but if you upgraded both i dont see an issue with needing a proportioning valve
oh, Because i know the 03/04 cobra front rotors are 13inch, and the gt500 are 15inch, another cheap upgrade is to use C5 z06 calipers on the 03/04 cobra rotors which will be next brake upgrade if i need it, so i figured the gt500 rears must be larger as well, bigger heavier car.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
and the gt500 are 15inch
AFAIK only the latest GT500s had the 15" brakes (as Popeye referred to) - 380mm fronts and 350mm rears. The '07 GT500 that the OP has parts from didn't have the huge brakes, just big brakes. :)

so i figured the gt500 rears must be larger as well, bigger heavier car.
The original post says what size the rotors are - 11.65" - which is the same as the rear brakes on the SN95 Cobras. There are tons of Foxes running 11.65" rotors in the rear with whatever front upgrade (Cobra, Cobra R, Stoptech, Baer, etc).

With that said, it would certainly be easier for the OP to bolt on SN95 parts than to try to figure out what it takes to put S197 rear brakes on a Fox.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
No GT500 has 11.65" rear rotors. They are 11.81" rotors for the pre 2013 models.

And they use a 45mm caliper, which has a lot more area than the 38mm caliper, so there is much more rear brake bias if you tried to use it with a front brake system designed for a Fox or SN95 system.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the late response Gents, unfortunately I've been slammed at work. I actually got these brakes for FREE.
I removed them off my 07 Gt500 when I upgraded the rears to Wilwood's.

So I was hoping to save a little $$$ on the swap and hoping somebody out there had made a caliper axle bracket that would make the swap alot easier.

Thanks again Guys for all the input.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can make anything work with some fab work. Those rear brakes from the shelby are the same from the 05 V6 up to the 14 GT cars. The Shelbys had a rear brake upgrade from the 13-14 cars. But that setup is the same for everything else. I hope you didn't over pay because,, shelby.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Thank you, Thank god there where Free

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basically my vert is just a cruiser all stock. But i want to do a 5 lug conversion so I can get some 18 in CCW's ,BBS or TF" wheels on her, I already have the 95 spindles, 13 Cobras front brakes and lines. So like I had this set up laying around I was hoping for an easy swap.lol

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically my vert is just a cruiser all stock. But i want to do a 5 lug conversion so I can get some 18 in CCW's ,BBS or TF" wheels on her, I already have the 95 spindles, 13 Cobras front brakes and lines. So like I had this set up laying around I was hoping for an easy swap. lol

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Basically my vert is just a cruiser all stock. But i want to do a 5 lug conversion so I can get some 18 in CCW's ,BBS or TF" wheels on her, I already have the 95 spindles, 13 Cobras front brakes and lines. So like I had this set up laying around I was hoping for an easy swap. lol
Yea the 94-04 stuff is pretty easy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I guess more of an addition to the conversation. Sorry if I made it sound like a correction.

Also, the backing plate bolt holes are different than a fox body's.

I put the 2013 GT500 brakes on my 2010 Roush. I compared the backing plates to a foxbody 8.8 I had laying around. Bolt holes don't line up.
I should have taken a picture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts