Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't my first LS swap but it will be my longest and most extensive build.

The car is a true 50k mile 2003 Redfire Cobra with full suspension and some other goodies. That includes a SRA conversion as well. Suspension and fuel system are built to handle 4-digit power.
It will be awhile before I'm testing those limits, if at all.

Plans- A sort of "what the terminator could have been"

Positive displacement blower, like to make 600-650 reliable horsepower.
Full street car, meaning-
AC, power brakes, power steering etc are a MUST
6 speed transmission (no one likes to cruise an auto)
Capable of distance driving (LSFest is about 3.5 hours from here and I like to make the drive every year, this car has to be able to make that. Shouldn't be a problem reliability wise)

So far I've purchased an 01 ls1/t56 lower mileage dropout that will get the car on its feet. Should be here in the next couple days.
AJE parts will make sure it drops right in and should be just a matter of plumbing the clutch hydraulics and locating the shifter correctly (more on that in a bit)
I'll also be using Holley EFI, as I used it on my last build. Can't say enough good things about it so they'll be getting my money again.
Ive got a full stainless exhaust and Kooks
1 7/8" longtubes that will be going on as well.
Power steering has been redone already and I'm in the middle of deciding how I'll tackle the AC system.
I will probably go ahead and swap the cam with a Tick grind while the motors out on a stand just for simplicity. Nice part of a PD blower is the cam will work well NA for the time being. (At 7k, the blower is going to have to wait til the dust settles on the rest of my spending)

Rear end is good to go and has boost friendly 3.55s and a nice locker.
Also have a meth tank and lines already plumbed and installed for eventual boost.

Obviously the stock clutch and other weak parts aren't going to last very long so they may slow me up a bit as I collect those parts as well. Lots of odds and ends I'm probably forgetting but you can get the idea.

Progress will be a little slow at first. Just going to get the car up and running and lined out as close to the way it would have been from the factory. Reliable street-ability remaining priority number one.

On a side note, when I bought the car it came on a set of draglites
I've seen worse wheels on a cobra, but not many.
So I bought a set of 18x9/10 FR500s to replace them.
Just ordered the Toyos today so who knows when they'll actually make their way on the car.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
nice car

·
Registered
73 Posts
I made a bracket for my 99 cobra lq4 swap that bolts to the ls block and allows the ford A/C to bolt to it. I didn't have to crack the a/c line open or anything. I will be reproducing this bracket if you are interested. I'm also doing the same type of bracket for the ford p/s pump.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I already have a/c and had p/s but went to manual now, but still have my a/c. I used all the LS1 stuff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PM'd you Tvalant.

I've got all the Chevy components to build an AC system but would prefer using the ford compressor.

Bought some 317 heads, picking up my drivetrain tomorrow. Holley efi system will be here tmrw as well. Talked to Martin at tick and picked out a cam. Shooting for 600-650rwhp when it's all said and "done".

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went ahead and pulled the motor back out for some upgrades.
Now has milled 243s, a tick cam package, and a FAST 92/92

As of now the motor and transmission are in the car and I've begun the wiring

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you figured out what you will do with the Ford fuel pump driver module and the constant control relay? I am doing this swap on an 02 and will likely delete both and simply use a relay if possible.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holley EFI
Good choice. I used the Holley on my LS swap in my '01 GT, and was blown away by how it started immediately and was able to be driven within minutes. Good luck with the build, it looks great.
I used it on my 98 swap and loved it. Worth every penny, wasn't going to pass up the chance to use it again

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the fast just doesn't work. Neither does the Fbody radiator. Fixing one issue just has a domino effect through the rest of the engine bay. Im going to look into relocating the expansion tank otherwise I think I'll be selling the fast and trying something different. Will allow me to use the factory Ford radiator, fans and a lot of the associated components.
Tried out a Vic Jr and elbow today, clears up every fitment issue and I don't hate the way it looks like I thought.

Have a couple options I'm still looking at, and a large summit order that is either missing parts or contains the wrong parts. So it's all gotta go back.
But hey, they gave me a hat so I guess all is forgiven.

Routed the rest of the fuel system, finished the charging harness, and rounded up the rest of my sensors. At least I made some sort of progress.

Going to have to make my own shifter as it hits the console on 2,4,6 shifts.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Trans

Did it have a 4R70W swap? I see it had an auto shifter in it. I am planning a future swap so I'd be interested in associated parts. I have none to date.

thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
842 Posts
The main question I have is why hack up a low mileage clean Cobra?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The main question I have is why hack up a low mileage clean Cobra?
I'm sure he bought it as a roller without motor and trans hence going the cheaper route of the lsx. Otherwise it's a pointless swap since the 4v cobra motor could handle/make more power than an ls1 can.. a lot more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts