Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am a Lightning guy that is making a change. I would like some of you guys to give me your thoughts on these two cars. I have a good line on a 02 Saleen but I was going to hold out for a 03 Cobra. The price I am getting the Saleen for is less than what a 03 cobra will be. Are the Saleens worth it? What types of times have you guys seen from them? This is a supercharged one S281 I think?? Any advise??

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Hey:

Don't do it!

First, you should keep your L.

If you won't do that, don't get the Saleen. The performance differential is going to be huge between this car and the Cobra.

Blown S281s run low 13s, and Saleen build quality is atrocious! They often don't paint the whole front fascia (look in the side vents on the front fascia).

I've seen a couple of cars that had a Saleen cat-back on them. Saleen cuts the stock cat back and welds half of a Borla deal in place of the stock tailpipes.

Also, several people on here had trouble with the chrome flaking off of the wheels.

If you don't spring for the 'carbon fiber' hood, the blower pulley rubs on the insulation.

The blower is only warrantied for a year. Every Ford service center is going to give you the 'red-headed stepchild' treatment.

The handling sucks balls, just like Saleen customer service.

It really is a 20K Mustang with $5,000 worth of parts added at a %150 profit margin.

Its got a stock 2V longblock, hyperuetectic pistons and powder rods.

Probably has the stock GT interior if its cheaper than the Cobra.

Not even worth comparing to the new Cobra.

Have you thought about the new Mach1? That's going to be sweet.

Ex Saleen Owner (twice)

Steve

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
ICULOKN said:
Guys,

I am a Lightning guy that is making a change. I would like some of you guys to give me your thoughts on these two cars. I have a good line on a 02 Saleen but I was going to hold out for a 03 Cobra. The price I am getting the Saleen for is less than what a 03 cobra will be. Are the Saleens worth it? What types of times have you guys seen from them? This is a supercharged one S281 I think?? Any advise??
IMHO, dont get the 02 Saleen. Sure they are kinda quick, but those Eaton blowers on the 2vs just dont put out good power. The 03 Cobra will SMOKE the 02 Saleen like its nothing, and has unbelievable room for modification. I think 500rwhp in an 03 is possible with a smaller pulley, full exhaust, and a retune.

Get the cobra, itll be worth it.

-Adam

·
Registered
644 Posts
i got an old saleen when the build quality was about 100x better..but they did less to the cars. and if my opinion matters, i'd ditch this saleen for a '03 if it wasnt for insurance :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Forget the Saleen and go with the 03 Cobra. Ditto what they say about the Saleen. The build sucks, and I actually don't like the body kits, but then that is my opinion and I'm sure others like it. If you looked at it, that means it interests you also. If you like it, I'm sure Saleen will build a kit for the 03's sooner or later.

Cheers, :cool:
Robert

·
Registered
64 Posts
Make a call do your local SVT dealer and see if they even have any 2003 Cobras available. I know the dealers around my area have already sold their first allotments. With a few thousand in dealer markups and the gas guzzler tax, the final price could be close to $40K Also check with your insurance company to see what your rates will be on a 400hp sports car. I'd avoid the supercharged Saleen though. A better option would be to buy a non-supercharged S281 and wait till Kenne-Bell offers their twin screw 2V kit

And, for those thinking about modding their 2003 Cobras, the rumor mill has it that all owners will have to sign a statement saying they will NOT modify their vehicles at risk of losing their warranty. I think Ford is predicting some blown motors with pulley changes, tunes, etc Anyone else notice the pulley cover in the pictures? Looks like an anti-tampering device to me.

Just for the record, I would choose the 2003 Cobra over the Saleen. Just thought there needed to be another view in this thread.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wolfie351 said:
Make a call do your local SVT dealer and see if they even have any 2003 Cobras available. I know the dealers around my area have already sold their first allotments. With a few thousand in dealer markups and the gas guzzler tax, the final price could be close to $40K Also check with your insurance company to see what your rates will be on a 400hp sports car. I'd avoid the supercharged Saleen though. A better option would be to buy a non-supercharged S281 and wait till Kenne-Bell offers their twin screw 2V kit

And, for those thinking about modding their 2003 Cobras, the rumor mill has it that all owners will have to sign a statement saying they will NOT modify their vehicles at risk of losing their warranty. I think Ford is predicting some blown motors with pulley changes, tunes, etc Anyone else notice the pulley cover in the pictures? Looks like an anti-tampering device to me.

Just for the record, I would choose the 2003 Cobra over the Saleen. Just thought there needed to be another view in this thread.

:confused: :confused: You've been reading all the wrong threads. Not a flame. A Mustang is not a Sports Car. You don't have to sign squat. What looks like an "anti-tampering device"?

There are quite a few dealers in the Bay Area that have 2003 Cobra's left. Not everyone will pay over MSRP for one and that's why they haven't sold out yet.

I got mine for MSRP. My insurance company quoted me a few dollars more than I pay now because the new car is worth more.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wolfie351 said:

I think your right about the warranty. And $40K for a cobra-ooochh:eek: If you could get one for $35K then that would not be that bad considering it does have forged internals- nut not $40k no way. I know everyone says well a C5 is over $40K- but theres alot more to the vette than just straightline performance. Hell you can go buy a 02 Z06 that will smack a 03 cobra for $45-46K right now- plus not to mention the 100 advantages it has. I love the mustangs/cobra I just hate to see these dealers mark them up so- it pisses me off. Plus I called for a rate quote on the 03 cobra and it was going to be $40 more a month then my GT!!!! And get this insurance is cheaper on the Z06:confused: :confused:
So thats the way I am headed it seems. Throw a few mods and dr's are I am in the 11's;) on a basically stock car. Its still hard though to think I will not have a mustang anymore- I have been driving them now since 94.:( Oh well if the Z is not all expected I can always trade it in for a 03/04 cobra:D

sg

·
Registered
448 Posts
01blown4.6 said:

I think your right about the warranty. And $40K for a cobra-ooochh:eek: If you could get one for $35K then that would not be that bad considering it does have forged internals- nut not $40k no way. I know everyone says well a C5 is over $40K- but theres alot more to the vette than just straightline performance. Hell you can go buy a 02 Z06 that will smack a 03 cobra for $45-46K right now- plus not to mention the 100 advantages it has. I love the mustangs/cobra I just hate to see these dealers mark them up so- it pisses me off. Plus I called for a rate quote on the 03 cobra and it was going to be $40 more a month then my GT!!!! And get this insurance is cheaper on the Z06:confused: :confused:
So thats the way I am headed it seems. Throw a few mods and dr's are I am in the 11's;) on a basically stock car. Its still hard though to think I will not have a mustang anymore- I have been driving them now since 94.:( Oh well if the Z is not all expected I can always trade it in for a 03/04 cobra:D

sg
I'm getting mine for MSRP. You're wrong about the warranty. How do you know what any vette will do to the 2003 Cobra?

The insurance is not cheaper on a vette than a Cobra. You're grasping at straws there. I was quoted $200/yr more for my 2003 than my 1997 because it's worth more.

I'm sure the Z is all you expect.

Please head straight for the vette.

·
Registered
148 Posts
97DOHC, it's true.. you don't have a happy post left in ya....:D

01blown4.6,
I'm sure ICULOKN would have said Z06 was an option if he had 10k more to blow over the cost of a stang. Heck, I'd take the 10k saved and pay the extra few $$ in insurance and still walk away happy.

I respect your decision to jump into a Z06, but it isn't the answer to everyones dream. Oh.. and we'll be waiting patiently for those pics of you in your new Z06:rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
97DOHC said:

You don't have to sign squat. What looks like an "anti-tampering device"?

There are quite a few dealers in the Bay Area that have 2003 Cobra's left. Not everyone will pay over MSRP for one and that's why they haven't sold out yet.

I got mine for MSRP. My insurance company quoted me a few dollars more than I pay now because the new car is worth more.
Like I said, the "signed statement" about modifying the 2003 Cobras was a rumor I heard. It came from a friend who is buying a '03 in Texas. This is not unusual considering Ford is asking Thunderbird buyers to sign a form that states that the Thunderbird is "for my personal use, and I have no present intention to resell the vehicle within 6 months from the date of delivery." Considering the huge amount of horsepower gained from exhaust mods alone, I will NOT be suprised if this is true. Take it with a grain of salt, don't be so quick to discount it. By the way, dealers will tell you anything to get a sale.

Where in the bay area has '03 cobras for MSRP? None that I called. I think the first people to order them got lucky. Once dealers found out there would be a high demand, prices went up. In any case, I think the original poster of this thread should call around his area to find out for himself before he makes any final decisions.

Oh, and please call State Farm Insurance for me and tell them a Mustang is NOT a sports car. I could use the discount on my policy. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts