Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my 01 cobra last week.. and i was just wondering, i heard the cobras rear ends are easy to break, is this true? can i do anything to beef up the rear end without changing the IRS?:(

·
Registered
436 Posts
You heard correct.

On street tires you should be OK. Especially if it is UNmodified.

The things that the Halfshafts do NOT like is >>>

Heavy cars (Converts)
Tall gears (410 up)
More HP

The weak point are the "Half-shafts". Tons of people are breaking them on their first pass at the track. I know of no one putting many passes on them and not breaking.

You do NOT have to swap out the IRS, but many to choose to go this route.

You can upgrade the Halfshafts for around $500 a side. Stage 3 seem to be strong enough for slicks!

I will not race my car till they are done. I have ALL the bad things on my side ;(

There a lot of threads on this over in the 99up forum at Blue oval news. Group purchases from time to time also. You may have to scroll back several pages to find a currect topic but check it out. Also, when you see a post from Joe Linch, checl out his web site - he has TONS of info on this topic!

http://warnerrobert.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Take care!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have an 01 cobra convertible with new 4:10's and Nitto DR's. Should I be expecting to snap my half shafts this summer? Will they break even if I take it easy on launches? What kind of damage will the car take if they do snap?

·
Registered
436 Posts
01ConvCobra said:
I have an 01 cobra convertible with new 4:10's and Nitto DR's. Should I be expecting to snap my half shafts this summer? Will they break even if I take it easy on launches? What kind of damage will the car take if they do snap?
Well, again I'm not the expert, but it MAY happen.

Depending on how it breaks the damage can be variable but generally speaking I believe they just snap and not much other damage occurs. You will know when this happens because you will hear it happen and then you car won't move!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[email protected], we have glass rear ends!!!! WTF is up with DR's with some gears and bye bye half shafts!!?? Okay, okay I'm trying to calm down, someone told me that the reason why the half shafts break is due to the motion of the wheel hop. So in essence if you get some springs, IRS brace, and upgraded half shafts then no more glass rear end?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hope thats all it takes. Im not looking forward to putting money into half shafts. It would be nice to know if bracing the rear would eliminate the need for the shafts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man this sh!t sucks, I hate the fact that the GT's are almost as fast as our Cobras with the same mods, just because their rear ends are designed for hooking, we should have the best of both worlds!! How come the MKIV Supras don't have this problem.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Jesus, you guys are getting carried away. I had about 100 passes on my 99 Cobra; at least 30 of which were with 4.10s, drag radials, and ~300rwhp. My stock half shafts were fine. I now have about 30 passes on my 01 with no problems. I believe one of the reasons for the longevity of my half shafts is avoiding wheel hop.

Did someone say glass rear? Go talk to some F-body guys about that and you'll hear a few stories. Supras and Corvettes do get wheel hop...it's a fact of life on IRS cars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All cars with IRS have problems at the track at one time or another. I know of someone with a built turbo BMW M3 in Florida who runs 11's ......he keeps a box full of half shafts at the track with him... :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Go to Joe Lynch's web site. He goes into detail as to what can happen. A broken half shaft can be very dangerous. If that thing breaks under hard acceleration with any speed attained, it's going to jump sideways. Not good!! I am not putting DR's on mine until the GKN's are installed. Hopefully next week.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Ok, I've heard A LOT of the 99 owners break halfshafts..

I have not heard of a single 01 owner breaking one.

Did the 31 Spline Axles help? Or have you guys heard of the 01's breaking as well?

I am just trying to get a concensius. Theoretically, the 01's should break just like the 99's since the failure of the shaft has nothing to do with splines "that I can see".

With that being said, is it a good idea to spend money on the halfshafts fairly soon? Or just wait till the break! I've been on Joe's site and I keep all of that in mind, I inspect it visually etc. I will have the suspension hammered out here within a week.

Shawn

·
Registered
165 Posts
Actually 3.27's would put more force against your shafts then 4.10's would. 4.10's make it easier to take off for the engine/drivetrain.

I've LAUNCHED my car with street tires and beat a few mid 12 sec cars on my stock rear end and street tires. Now I wouldn't run DR's or slick and do 5k launches until you upgrade them, but you'll be fine for now.

BTW, you don't want to spin the tires at the track anyway, just slip the clutch out at around 2-2.5k and hold on, don't powershift either cause you'll prolly loose some time breaking free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts