Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to pick up just the calipers (since I'm thinking they should bolt right onto my stocker cobra setup). Whats the best price the calipers are going for nowadays...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the entire cobra R kit (brembo 13" 4 pistons) with rotors that did not fit with my wheels and cant return so i'm selling them. $900

·
Registered
552 Posts
jgorm
sent you a pm about your brakes...
blacksnake305...I have known some friends who have come upon the calipers by chance from people upgrading race car calipers, but don't know anyone who is selling anything other than the complete kit...I would venture a guess that the caliper is the primary expense in the kit so you won't save much over buying the kit...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I thought that the rotors had a different thickness?

·
Registered
102 Posts
same rotor thickness. The lines are different and you'll want the braided stainless lines that come with the 00R kit. If you plan on running it long enough to need new rotors, there's no waste in getting the full kit.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Now that you have done your one track day, you think your brakes need upgrading? The stockers are more than capable for the occasional track day. You just need to make sure you have the correct track pads. Most of the AI guys are using the PBR calipers with aggressive pads with success. At this point, there is really no reason for the expense of the brembo's other than the "bling" factor. Plus, have you checked if they will fit behind your wheels? They require at a minimum 17x9's.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
jscott1176 said:
Now that you have done your one track day, you think your brakes need upgrading? The stockers are more than capable for the occasional track day. You just need to make sure you have the correct track pads. Most of the AI guys are using the PBR calipers with aggressive pads with success. At this point, there is really no reason for the expense of the brembo's other than the "bling" factor. Plus, have you checked if they will fit behind your wheels? They require at a minimum 17x9's.
Yes sir.

Based on a suggestion from Darius, I simply switched pads to PF-Z rated and I am very impressed. They were more than capable of handling gingerman. And at $70 per set you can't go wrong. I am still running the original 1999 factory rear pads. :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jscott1176 said:
I appreciate the conservative approach, but you dont understand that I'm a "Mod-Junkie" :evil: And I wouldn't buy the 4-piston calipers for the 'bling' of it. I want the ability to stop hard. If you've seen my car, you would know that I'm a 'model of conservativism' an have no bling items to speak of (with the one exception being the saleen rims). I'm even thinking of unloading the saleen rims because of the weight...

My stockers w/ the hawk HP+ were sufficient, but I was coming in very hot and was experiencing some noticeable brake fade as the day progressed. But it was very very hot out as well.
Yes only one event, but Mid-Ohio is next on the agenda... :drool:

·
Registered
548 Posts
serpentnoir said:
Yes sir.

Based on a suggestion from Darius, I simply switched pads to PF-Z rated and I am very impressed. They were more than capable of handling gingerman. And at $70 per set you can't go wrong. I am still running the original 1999 factory rear pads. :)
Actually, I dont know if people clued you in on that gem of a pad.... they only cost you $70-period. They have a lifetime replacement warranty through Autozone. When they are worn out, take them to Autozoo say they squeal a bit, and you get a new set. Just hang on to your reciepts to make the exchange go smoother. There are quite a few people I know of that are on their 5-6th set now and are only out the original $70.

·
Registered
548 Posts
blacksnake305 said:
I appreciate the conservative approach, but you dont understand that I'm a "Mod-Junkie" :evil: And I wouldn't buy the 4-piston calipers for the 'bling' of it. I want the ability to stop hard. If you've seen my car, you would know that I'm a 'model of conservativism' an have no bling items to speak of (with the one exception being the saleen rims). I'm even thinking of unloading the saleen rims because of the weight...

My stockers w/ the hawk HP+ were sufficient, but I was coming in very hot and was experiencing some noticeable brake fade as the day progressed. But it was very very hot out as well.
Yes only one event, but Mid-Ohio is next on the agenda... :drool:
No bling items? What about the brilliant idea you had to cut holes in your hood and install vents? :rolleyes: Just messing with ya... Of course I've seen your car, you have my axle.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jscott1176 said:
No bling items? What about the brilliant idea you had to cut holes in your hood and install vents? :rolleyes: Just messing with ya... Of course I've seen your car, you have my axle.
Hey That Hood is Functional!!!.....er....sort of.......i think... :) I need to tie some strings on those floor vents and see their massive extraction rate... LOL
As far as the brembos are concerned, I will get them, but only if I can do it cheap (that's my motto and i've lived well by it). Besides my motor, I've been pretty frugal w/ my $$$. I'm just exploring the possibilities right now... plus them calipers will be DA SHIZZLE!!! :p

·
Registered
481 Posts
jscott1176 said:
Actually, I dont know if people clued you in on that gem of a pad.... they only cost you $70-period. They have a lifetime replacement warranty through Autozone. When they are worn out, take them to Autozoo say they squeal a bit, and you get a new set. Just hang on to your reciepts to make the exchange go smoother. There are quite a few people I know of that are on their 5-6th set now and are only out the original $70.
Last time I checked they only have a two year warranty.

Autozone Link

·
Registered
998 Posts
I tried finding a set of calipers a few months ago, to no avail. I ended up buying a whole kit for around $800 from ebay, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I even had my contact at MM call Brembo for me, no luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
blacksnake305 said:
My stockers w/ the hawk HP+ were sufficient, but I was coming in very hot and was experiencing some noticeable brake fade as the day progressed.
Do you have brake cooler ducts?
Also make sure you bleed your system before and after an event.

Just remember that the brake system will only work as well as the tires you have on your car.
If you are running a street tire, then a good pad (PF-Z or others) along with brake coolers, and good fluid should be all that you need.
If you are running a slick or R compound then perhaps you can truly utilize the stopping power of a four pot caliper.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Craig K. said:
Do you have brake cooler ducts?
Also make sure you bleed your system before and after an event.

Just remember that the brake system will only work as well as the tires you have on your car.
If you are running a street tire, then a good pad (PF-Z or others) along with brake coolers, and good fluid should be all that you need.
If you are running a slick or R compound then perhaps you can truly utilize the stopping power of a four pot caliper.
Good point, I forgot to ask if Chris was running brake cooling ducts. That would have taken care of your (slight) fading issue even in high ambient temperatures. I would look into getting a set of those before looking into the brembo's. Don't get me wrong the Brembo brakes are awesome, but they just do not justify the added expense for a street car that sees an occasional track day.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts