Caliper thickness & wheel fitment - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-11-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Caliper thickness & wheel fitment

I have been researching for weeks what brake/wheel/tire combo I want to run on my '92. I have come away though with more questions than answers in doing so. So I was hoping maybe we could put together a list of different calipers and their thickness.

Much talk has been around the the Cobra R 4 piston Brembos and their tight fit. I am wondering, what is their actual measurement and how does it compare against some of the other popular calipers?

So come on guys chime-in with your measurements here. From the thread on the new replica SSC wheel it was stated that this is the important measurement:

*Note* I snagged this photo from the post by JMIMAC351 on page6 of the SSC wheel thread, hope that is ok.

Feel free to comment/correct me here.

Brembo Cobra R 4 piston - 1.875" (per JMIMAC351)
StopTech 4 piston - 1.66"
TCE/Wilwood W6A caliper - 1.53"
Cobra/PBR 2 piston
SSBC Tri power
SSBC force 10 4 piston
SSBC force 10 8 piston

WANTED! - Original TFS U-shaped intake

92 GT - Longest project every, but getting closer
R302 based big bore stroker (.125), Canfield CNC ported heads, Custom Jay Allen camshaft, Pro-M EFI Engine ManagementFull MM Suspension with Torque Arm
Wilwood brakes
T-56 Magnum

Last edited by mb92gt99gt99light; 08-15-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 PM

Wilwood kits: (air gap of .100" removed per your picture)

140-9107 12.9 BSL6n Kit: 1.13" w/o air gap
140-9117 14 BSL6n kit: 1.13" w/o air gap
140-7191 12.9 BSL6 kit: 1.46" w/o air gap

TCE/Wilwood
kits: 13.3 or 14, W6A caliper kits: 1.53" w/o air gap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

* Corvette * Lightning * Impala SS * Focus ST * Marauder * 350/370Z
* MINI * Challenger * WRX * Super Duty * SHO * Mustang *...and more!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-12-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Thanks for the info Todd, I just updated my original post.

Todd, regarding the 13" vs. 14" rotors is it safe to assume 17" wheels for the 13" kit and 18" wheels for the 14" rotors?

Are there typically any issues on the rear rotor/caliper?

WANTED! - Original TFS U-shaped intake

92 GT - Longest project every, but getting closer
R302 based big bore stroker (.125), Canfield CNC ported heads, Custom Jay Allen camshaft, Pro-M EFI Engine ManagementFull MM Suspension with Torque Arm
Wilwood brakes
T-56 Magnum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-12-2007, 08:11 PM

That's correct. On both kits (factory Wilwood and TCE version) the smaller diameters are related to the smaller wheel application.

I'm awaiting more full approval of advertising in the classified section to openly promote more info on the new W6A kits, however I think anyone looking for more serious design over the rather "light weight" nature of the 8000 series caliper will be more than impressed with what we have put together here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

* Corvette * Lightning * Impala SS * Focus ST * Marauder * 350/370Z
* MINI * Challenger * WRX * Super Duty * SHO * Mustang *...and more!
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2007, 03:37 PM

StopTech has detailed templates available on our website to help determine wheel clearance issues. This link starts with some images showing how to use the template: StopTech Wheel Fitment Templates

You can scroll down to the appropriate template or here is a link to the 332 x 32mm (13") kit: SN-95, 322 x32mm Wheel Fit Template

The template for the SN-95, 355 x 32mm (14") kit is identical for the distance in question here, though a few other dimensions vary. The number asked for at the start of this thread is 1.66" or 42.22mm. Note the numbers we show are net fit numbers with no clearance built in. We recommend at least 2mm clearance on all points, anything less is up to the customer to accept or not.

We do not have a fixed number for all kits as we have several variants of our calipers. Depending on internal piston sizing, we may be able to machine the caliper face for more clearance. On some platforms, we may position the caliper in a slightly different position for other fitment issues.

Our SN-95 kit will not fit on the Fox suspension. SN-95 spindles would need to be fit in order to use a StopTech kit on this platform. Also, make note to the distributor you might buy through that you have a Fox body as the inboard brake line fittings are different than the SN-95.

Hope that helps-

Brake Late, Accelerate Early, Be Smooth, Drive to Win...

Matt Weiss - Red 1995 Cobra by JWjr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement