Large frame turbo and all accessories? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
Large frame turbo and all accessories?

Does anyone know of a Foxbody with a large frame turbo and all the accessories? I looked around a few websites and have not seen any. But that doesn't mean anything.

If you know of one pics or a link to the build would be great. Thanks!

Mike 1986 Capri street car w/ a/c, p/s & p/w
Custom built T6 80mm s400sx based kit Shaunthony's built (Twin Trouble and Anthony Fury)
9.31 @ 146 1.39 60' on drag radials @ 3735# Kurgan tuned AEM EMS
80mm 718rwhp new 88mm 921rwhp No new track times yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-30-2008, 08:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
You don't need all that acc. crap in a race car..................lol Hi Mike

1990 Mustang GT
Dart IE 363, PT78 HPS, Built 4R70W, BS3, BBRC Fuel system, TeamZ, ect.....
Tuned by Bob Kurgan
post #3 of 9 Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
This is exactly why when I had my 92 LX I went with twins instead of one giant turbo. It is just a lot easier to fit all accessories and a pair of turbos than to fit them all and one monster turbo.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Mike - Race car? I had more street miles on my car last year than you did. hahaha

Aaron - I have NO doubt you are correct there. It will not be a easy task for sure. The Foxbody just does not have a lot of room to work with a large frame. But I have two buddies that like challenges and want to build a kit to do it. lol I am all for it.

The plans are a 75mm S400SX turbo with a 1.1 t6 housing. We want to run a 5" DP and then have it split to a dual aluminum 3.5" to the rear bumper. It looks like they will be fabbing up a custom bracket set to move the A/C, P/S and alternator lower on the motor. That way we can run about 18-24" of 5" dp strait out of the turbo before turning down to go under the car.

The price of the S400sx and material makes it a attractive build. But it will end up having some one off stuff. But that is OK as long as I can run low 9's and drive it home from the track with the a/c blowing cold. hahaha

Custom built T6 80mm s400sx based kit Shaunthony's built (Twin Trouble and Anthony Fury)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
At one time I looked into this and had some discussions with a friend who does a lot of old hot rods. If I remember right what we considered doing was running the alt off the driveshaft, something he had to do a lot with the old t-buckets. But I also lacked power steering and was going to go to an electric smog pump(for looks when the law ever looked, not functionality).

I think someone took an old Turbo Engineering kit years ago and mounted a large frame turbo on it, after modifying the kit. That would have put the turbo under the driver side frame rail though and not certain if there is really room there even with hacking.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-30-2008, 02:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 331merc View Post
Mike - Race car? I had more street miles on my car last year than you did. hahaha
Well played...........

1990 Mustang GT
Dart IE 363, PT78 HPS, Built 4R70W, BS3, BBRC Fuel system, TeamZ, ect.....
Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Last edited by mbricher; 01-30-2008 at 02:30 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-30-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
At one time I looked into this and had some discussions with a friend who does a lot of old hot rods. If I remember right what we considered doing was running the alt off the driveshaft, something he had to do a lot with the old t-buckets. But I also lacked power steering and was going to go to an electric smog pump(for looks when the law ever looked, not functionality).

I think someone took an old Turbo Engineering kit years ago and mounted a large frame turbo on it, after modifying the kit. That would have put the turbo under the driver side frame rail though and not certain if there is really room there even with hacking.
haha funny you should mention that. I thought about running the Alt off the driveshaft too. But under the turbo (like where it sits in a Vortech kit) should work fine. And we plan to move the A/C down and maybe try and find a smaller compressor. Then move the p/s down as well. Also might use a GM pump with out a reservoir. The thing is a size of a baseball. lol So that is a option as well.

We looked at a low mount. My car is not low by any means ut there in not a lot of room under there. Even with my RS front valance. Although a possibility I think mounting up high will work out better.

I will have build up pics starting in a few weeks. It will be posted on The Turbo Forums and I will link it from here too. Should be a interesting build.

post #8 of 9 Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbricher View Post
Well played...........

post #9 of 9 Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 331merc View Post
Does anyone know of a Foxbody with a large frame turbo and all the accessories?
Baller!

Luke M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement