Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Houston, Tx, USA
I will take it one step further, ones whole combo(regardless of power added selection) and their goals and preferences is what dictates what gear to go with. For example my brother has a HCI 93 GT that he drives daily and it has 3.73 gears in it and he can not stand those gears. Whether they are perfect for his car to go down the 1/4 or to street race or whatever else, they are far from perfect for him. If I was doing another fox body to be solely a street car with a turbo or even a supercharger, I would get a 3.27 or a 3.31, just simply because I prefer how those drive daily. My biggest concern would be how the car behaves for every day driving which is what 95% of its use would see. It would be silly for me to build a car for the other 5% of the time where I might be doing WOT blasts, racing someone or whatever else.
Of course my daily drive is what dictates all of that and I drive 70-120 miles every day and while a lot of that is on the freeway, the freeway sometimes is stop n go. When I had a car with 4.10 gears for that drive, I hated it. When I had a car with 3.73 gears for that drive, I did not really care for it. When I had a car with 3.55 gears for that drive, I had no complaints. When I had a car with 3.31 gears for that drive, I wondered why I ever dealt with the other gear ratios. The whole reason my gearing changed between them is because my first Fox Body had 3.55 gears and then I swapped the entire rear end and ended up with 3.73 gears which later I changed back to 3.55. Then my second Fox Body had 4.10 gears and then I swapped gears to 3.31s due to the price of them new at the time.
A lot of other people just care about how fast the car is and will live with any comprises they have to live with in order to get the most speed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.