Anybody "thinking" about going turbo?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (61)
Anybody "thinking" about going turbo??

So if your just "thinking about" going to a turbo set-up, but still not sure if a blower or nitrous would be a better way to go just check out some dyno pulls of my car.

Real quick run down, Man-O-War 349ci, bennett stg 3 Hi-ports, mild hyd roller turbo cam, CSU blowthru carb, "homemade" turbo kit w/80mm garrett, powerglide trans. Car was leaning out at about 23lbs boost with the biggest jets in the carb (Kevin from CSU wants to rework the carb) so we ended the pulls with 830Hp and 680tq. The set-up has alot more in it but since the A/F was starting to lean out on the top end we stoped. Here are 2 videos and injoy.
Erik
P.S. big thanks to Dwayne Big Daddy Gutridge for taking my car in late on a saturday and spending countless hours on my car! Aslo thanks to my good buddy Brian Applegate from Downs Ford.

Last edited by r6rider; 01-17-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
how come so little torque ? I thought turbo puts out more torque then hp .

post #3 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 01:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
it wont be more than the HP when you put down as much as that... it will be higher than a blower though, esp. a centri.
and esp. under the curve

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002mustanggt View Post
how come so little torque ? I thought turbo puts out more torque then hp .
That and if you can notice the car is stumbling alittle between part throttle to WOT and this is all due to the carb's boost senstive power valve not working (Kevin from CSU is going to take care of that), so iam sure that has alot to due with the weak tq output for now.
Erik
post #5 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 08:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Do you have any pics of your exhaust system?
post #6 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (250)
awesome build eric!!! just started fabricating my twin 60mm kit the other day!

1989- gt full drag build in progress..
1991- emerald coupe- stroked, caged & sprayed
1999 cobra- 5.0 stroker and single turbo coming soon
post #7 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (45)
sounds great... any track #s yet?
post #8 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersteve View Post
Do you have any pics of your exhaust system?

post #9 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty8gtfiveo View Post
awesome build eric!!! just started fabricating my twin 60mm kit the other day!
Thanks, yeah once you go turbo i think you'll never look back goodluck with the car.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicinJake View Post
sounds great... any track #s yet?
No not yet, car has no cage in it. I just wanted to see how the motor was going to run on the dyno. Now iam gutting the interor and doing the cage and rewiring the engine bay.

post #11 of 21 Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Eric,

This is great, man. I'm hoping for similar results with my junk. You've done a great job with this car. Our setups are quite similar, except you have better heads than I have. I have some ported TW's. Those highports are the whip!

Best of luck.

qikazz

'91 mod motor, turbocharged notchback, mid-8s... (SOLD)
'91 331ci GT, twin 76mm turbos, hopefully mid-7s...
'03 Evo, 2.0L, 68mm turbo, AWD street terror, mid-9s
post #12 of 21 Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qikazz View Post
Eric,

This is great, man. I'm hoping for similar results with my junk. You've done a great job with this car. Our setups are quite similar, except you have better heads than I have. I have some ported TW's. Those highports are the whip!

Best of luck.

qikazz
Thanks for the comments!
Yeah iam doing the cage now and iam pulling the motor and going to do a solid roller turbo camshaft now. The carb is back at CSU and Kevin is going to work alittle magic on it so we can get it dialed in. Hoping to get it running and at the track by summer time. With it making 830rwhp the car was useless on the street, but hopefully with the cage and getting the suspension dialed in it will work alittle better, if not iam sure a electric boost control will be needed.
Goodluck with you car
Erik
post #13 of 21 Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (101)
was that fire/backfire underneath the car after the dyno pull or are my eyes decieving me? did Dwayne tune the car or you just did a couple of pulls as is? Those are nice numbers with that size T4 turbo

Last edited by papis408; 02-06-2008 at 05:13 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papis408 View Post
was that fire/backfire underneath the car after the dyno pull or are my eyes decieving me? did Dwayne tune the car or you just did a couple of pulls as is? Those are nice numbers with that size T4 turbo
Yeah that was fire out the downpipe, I was doing the pulls that day and my girlfreind was filming. After that dyno pull I noticed my girlfreind staring at the lower front of the car while filming, i thought the motor or something was leaking. Afterwards she told me about the fire out the exhaust and it looked like it was going to burn the front strap, but it didnt. That day/night Dwayne helped out BIG TIME, if it wasnt for him the engine would have failed after a few more pulls since he watch to see if the BTM was pulling timing out with a timing light, well it wasn't so it was getting full 38degrees of timing! Thank god for C16 fuel. We got the straighted out and got the tune as good as its going to get. We talked to Kevin from CSU and he knows what he has to do with the carb and hopefully when i get that back we can get closer to 1000rwhp.
Erik
post #15 of 21 Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
man o war short block

nice numbers but quick question how is that shortblock treating you the 349 is it good , like reliable i ask because i am thinking about getting a man o war 371 shortblock and putting a 76gts turbo on it. would the 371 be as reliable as the 349 i really don't go to the track often. its been hard trying to find people to talk to that actually have a man o war shortblock.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitts23 View Post
nice numbers but quick question how is that shortblock treating you the 349 is it good , like reliable i ask because i am thinking about getting a man o war 371 shortblock and putting a 76gts turbo on it. would the 371 be as reliable as the 349 i really don't go to the track often. its been hard trying to find people to talk to that actually have a man o war shortblock.
Well i kick myself everyday for not just going with a 9.5 deck Man-O-War block instead of the 8.2 deck block i have. I would have loved to make a big CI motor (427cid) with a turbo on it. Anyway the 8.2 deck Man-O-War is still killer. I bought the block from World then added a Scat rotating assemble w/ Diamond pistons. Before the dyno runs i did put a few street miles on this with only 4lbs boost and pump gas. I thought with a powerglide and 3:55's it was going to be bad to drive on the street, but it wasn't. Crusing RPM's were not all that bad and the car could have been driven anywhere untill you noticed the gas milage or lack of it i should say.
Anyway if you going to make a 371 out of a 8.2 deck block i wouldn't bother, just step up to the 9.5 deck and the size motor is endless. There are a few problems i had with fitment of "stock" parts. You have to grind the front of the block to fit the camshaft timing sprocket, grind the valley to fit stock spider to retain the stock style hyd lifters, grind the oil pump housing due to 4 bolt main in the front will hit the oil pump housing, grind the outside of the block and motor mount's to get them to bolt up properly. These are all things that you run into when working with aftermarket stuff anyway but World advertised that all factory parts will bolt up to there Man-O-War block..LOL
Any other question just let me know.
Erik
post #17 of 21 Old 02-06-2008, 10:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
i would go 351 but i already have a bunch of parts to use on a 302 base engine. does the world 371 have a bad rod ratio. and does the 349 have issues using a 5.4 rod instead of 5.315
post #18 of 21 Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (101)
with a 371ci and a 76GTS you might see some back pressure issues. If your kit is already T4 based than go with a PT88.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitts23 View Post
i would go 351 but i already have a bunch of parts to use on a 302 base engine. does the world 371 have a bad rod ratio. and does the 349 have issues using a 5.4 rod instead of 5.315
Iam telling you i said the same thing, i had everything for a 8.2deck block, but now i really kick myself in the a$$ everytime. Just do the 9.5 deck block and if for any reason you want to go bigger then atleast you have the block to do it..Unless if you know 10years down the road you will still be happy with 8.2 deck block and never want to upgrade to a bigger turbo, more CID motor, etc then stay with the 8.2 deck block. As for the rod ratio, oil consumption, etc i really dont have enought miles on this set-up to tell you what i think. I know people have said its not good to run a 347 on the street (high milage issues with oil) but with the design of pistons/rings i really dont beleave that there is any problems like that.
Anyway with what ever size motor you go with your going to love it with a big turbo. I have had nitrous, superchargers (both roots and centrifical) motors and i beleave there is nothing like a turbo set-up.
Erik
post #20 of 21 Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6rider View Post
Iam telling you i said the same thing, i had everything for a 8.2deck block, but now i really kick myself in the a$$ everytime. Just do the 9.5 deck block and if for any reason you want to go bigger then atleast you have the block to do it..Unless if you know 10years down the road you will still be happy with 8.2 deck block and never want to upgrade to a bigger turbo, more CID motor, etc then stay with the 8.2 deck block. As for the rod ratio, oil consumption, etc i really dont have enought miles on this set-up to tell you what i think. I know people have said its not good to run a 347 on the street (high milage issues with oil) but with the design of pistons/rings i really dont beleave that there is any problems like that.
Anyway with what ever size motor you go with your going to love it with a big turbo. I have had nitrous, superchargers (both roots and centrifical) motors and i beleave there is nothing like a turbo set-up.
Erik

Erik,

While I understand where you are coming from here, I would have to say that I don't quite agree. Here's why - if the guy is planning to race in SSO, then I see your point. But if he just wants a very fast street car that can bust off 8s at the track and drive to a cruise with his girl, then what he has is more than sufficient.

I mean, c'mon, with you being at the power level that you are at, or I'm at, there is really no more than you can do with it on the street anyway. Additionally, my block and your block is more than capable of supporting 1500hp, and with a larger turbo this would be possible.

Just my thoughts here. If he already has all the parts, I would say stick with what you have unless you plan on racing SSO and going way down into the 7s.

qikazz

'91 mod motor, turbocharged notchback, mid-8s... (SOLD)
'91 331ci GT, twin 76mm turbos, hopefully mid-7s...
'03 Evo, 2.0L, 68mm turbo, AWD street terror, mid-9s
post #21 of 21 Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qikazz View Post
Erik,

While I understand where you are coming from here, I would have to say that I don't quite agree. Here's why - if the guy is planning to race in SSO, then I see your point. But if he just wants a very fast street car that can bust off 8s at the track and drive to a cruise with his girl, then what he has is more than sufficient.

I mean, c'mon, with you being at the power level that you are at, or I'm at, there is really no more than you can do with it on the street anyway. Additionally, my block and your block is more than capable of supporting 1500hp, and with a larger turbo this would be possible.

Just my thoughts here. If he already has all the parts, I would say stick with what you have unless you plan on racing SSO and going way down into the 7s.

qikazz
No i understand you also. But if it was me (now that i have done this allready with a 8.2 deck) i would have just went with the 9.5 deck block even if i had all parts for a 8.2 deck block allready. I guess i look at it alittle diffrently? I mean if i had a 427ci motor and say the same heads, turbo, etc iam running now iam sure i would be able to run less boost and make more power then my 349 is making right now. Bigger CI motor, less boost then i could safely get away with mixing race fuel w/pump gas unlike what iam running right now (straight C16).
But beleave me my "little 349" and 20lbs boost the car is a handfull on the street and it still isn't turned up yet!LOL
Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement