t-76 on bolton 302 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
t-76 on bolton 302

Looking into a used turbo kit.It has a turbonetics t-76 .96a/r.My cobination is a 40k mile 302 with stock cam,tfs heads,cobra intake,t-5 trans,327 gear.I know this t76.96 is a big turbo but how will it respond on my 302.I am using the stock block and it must last a long time so 425-450 is the limit.Whats your thoughts.Can I downsize exhaust a/r hosuing for faster spoolup?Tell me what you think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I wouldnt do it... I've got a 74mm with a small exhaust housing on my H/C/I 302 and I see full boost at 3,500rpms. Below that it is very laggy. Also it will be hard to keep the power down. At 8psi I'm making over 500rwhp in summer time heat.

If the kit is cheap enough buy it and do some hardcore research and use the money you saved and buy the turbo you need. You can always sell the 76 or keep it for later use.

306, TFS heads, Victor EFI, XE282, Tremec, 10" tires, and NX nozzle
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2008, 07:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GTC View Post
I wouldnt do it... I've got a 74mm with a small exhaust housing on my H/C/I 302 and I see full boost at 3,500rpms. Below that it is very laggy. Also it will be hard to keep the power down. At 8psi I'm making over 500rwhp in summer time heat.

If the kit is cheap enough buy it and do some hardcore research and use the money you saved and buy the turbo you need. You can always sell the 76 or keep it for later use.
Agreed. If it's cheap enough, get it. Then get a smaller 62-68 compressor, sell the 76 to recoupe some funds or keep it for the future. That's what I just did. I bought a kit with a 76. Boost doesn't start until @ 3700, full boost by 4400, that's after I switched from a .96 to a .81 exhaust housing. So I just bought a 67mm last night, that should be just about perfect for my combo.

1994, 347, 78mm, alot, NO-you can't!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-13-2008, 03:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
76 is pretty big.. a t-70 is solid for some good hp.. well beyond 450 whp.. i'd go with something small if thats all youw ant and reliable.. maybe like a 60 trim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement