help with 62mm turbo 302 hotside selection - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-01-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (45)
help with 62mm turbo 302 hotside selection

the combo is a forged piston 302, ported tw heads, gt40 ported lower cobra intake, custom cam and a turbonetics 62mm turbo (.81a/r). shooting for 550-600rwhp max. i would like to use a draw through meter if possible. the only accessory i will be running is an alternator and i might relocate it to the drivers side if i get a passenger side mount turbo. i will probably source my own intercooler and make my own cold side piping, so i am just looking to get the hotside. to people that have similar daily driver setups... what hotside kits do you recommend? is there anything advantageous about running no accessories in regards to turbo placement or pipe routing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
I'm running a B&G turbos hotside. Everything fits great. You're gonna have to spin that turbo real good if your goal is 6000rwhp.

-'90 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 SSP. 83 DSO US Gov't Issue. H/C/I Track toy
post #3 of 11 Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Even 600 h.p... Lol...

1991 XR8 Australian Falcon TFS induction
2014 Falcon GTE Supercharged Coyote

85 Lb inj Custom cam ,P 2000 Haltech ecu...4x's 2 coil wasted spark ignition.Twin SC 61-2s with Dart block, 330/4340 Crank, Oliver rods,7.9/ comp c C.P pistons.. 482 rwkw/ 646 rwhp..A.P 4 pot brakes...TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-01-2008, 06:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (38)
14 psi and aove ur gunna need to push that thing

90 lx, 408w, T56, 88mm
post #5 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

what i should say is that im looking for no more than 600. im expecting 550 with a good port job on the tfs tw heads and about a bar of boost. i want to run about 10psi everyday. make over 400rwhp and get good mileage and torque off-boost. the things im concerned with about hotside selection is maf placement. a lot of people have advised me to go draw through if possible, and with a single it is. is there a preferable place to mount the meter/filter? for what its worth i dont drive in snow or rain; i will if its wet out, just not raining. 93krwy- where does your maf/filter mount with the b&g off the shelf headers? where does the maf/filter mount on the quicktime kits? ive considering both of these companies. the only two people i know that have b&g headers love them, but they are different and have the turbo mounting orientation changed. ease of coldside fabrication is a consideration of mine, since im doing it, and its my first piping fab. i dont want to get a hotside that makes coldside fab unnecessarily hard.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 11:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
The MAF placement has NOTHING to do with the hot side.

-'90 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 SSP. 83 DSO US Gov't Issue. H/C/I Track toy
post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
and you sure arent gonna run a drawthru if you get the BG headers---its hard enough to get the air filter in there

run a blow through setup and the meter will go inside the passenger fender because you want it in the longest straight shot of pipe you can get. I didnt even have to lengthen the wires to my MAF.

73 CJ5 408W, 4sp Toploader, 9" locked up front and rear

03' MG Cobra, 2.9 whipple, T56 Magnum, Mcleod RXT, 591/540
post #8 of 11 Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Krwy View Post
The MAF placement has NOTHING to do with the hot side.
well the hotside positively locates the turbo... therefore that dictates where the compressor is and where its exducer or volute is capable of pointing. if you have the turbo in a location where you can ONLY get a filter on the inducer, then you cant use a draw through maf. if you are going to do blow through you need at least 6" of straight pipe before the maf, so you have to take that into account if you go that route. the coldside is designed around the hotside, not vise versa. for these and many other reasons, maf placement and the hotside are indeed very related.

i think a good blow through meter might be the better way to go on this build because if i ever upgrade to twins i wont have to upgrade the meter from draw through. same case with the big single. at the worst id need a recal for bigger injectors. so the regular b&g headers are good for blow through? are there any other good hotsides for this application?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Yes, the regular BG headers are good for a blow through. If you havent allready I would suggest going to Turbomustangs.com. You can purchase everything you need from that site/sponsors. Go into the "builds" section and find a thread that says "BG/ponydown/quicktime hotside with DIY coldside" There are plenty of photos and info to refer to when needed. I think you can get a complete bolt on kit from BG for about 3k now. If you dont have a welder allready, thats tough to beat.

Best of luck, and just be patient if you decide to get the welder and fab the pipes yourself as it will be the most time consuming part of the build but also the most rewarding.

73 CJ5 408W, 4sp Toploader, 9" locked up front and rear

03' MG Cobra, 2.9 whipple, T56 Magnum, Mcleod RXT, 591/540
post #10 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Draw through sucks.
Blow through is teh only way to go if you have a bov.

You might want to get that Honda sprayed, it sounds like it has a swarm of pissed off bees in your folgers can.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Only thing you need to do on a Blow thru MAF is just
make sure you have a nice straight shot of pipe before
the meter, so it gets a nice smooth flow thru the it.

8-12" of straight pipe before the meter and you'll be fine

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement