Looking to build a turbo 2V street car. Need help on turbo setup!!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Looking to build a turbo 2V street car. Need help on turbo setup!!!

Okay guys here's the deal. I'm looking to build up my 2V and make a cobra killer. My ideas are probably going with a teksid block, forged shortblock(mmr, etc.), custom turbo cams, unported PI heads (for now), 60lb. injectors, P-51 intake,'03 cobra tank with svt focus or ford GT pumps, and a t-56 tranny to back the car. I wanted to do a turbo setup with a small shot (75) of gas. But the pricing on the HP, Hellion, and turbo horsepower kinda set me back a little, so I've looking into building a kit. Here's where I get lost... I'm not sure about anything, should I try to copy the hp setup with twins behind the bumper, do a single behind the bumper, or go with one between the coolant reservoir? Also, what size turbos would work best with this setup... I hear like twin 57mms, a GT35R, a T70, a 76 mm, and the usual T3s T4s. What is the difference between these turbos and which would work better with this car??? And on the turbo kit what else do I need, where do I get turbo headers from, what's the deal with the wastegate and boost controller, and what about the intercooler and piping? I'd like to be able to run the factory '03 cobra foglights!!! Please help guys, I keep looking and this stuff is getting frustrating!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milleniumGT View Post
Okay guys here's the deal. I'm looking to build up my 2V and make a cobra killer. My ideas are probably going with a teksid block, forged shortblock(mmr, etc.), custom turbo cams, unported PI heads (for now), 60lb. injectors, P-51 intake,'03 cobra tank with svt focus or ford GT pumps, and a t-56 tranny to back the car. I wanted to do a turbo setup with a small shot (75) of gas. But the pricing on the HP, Hellion, and turbo horsepower kinda set me back a little, so I've looking into building a kit. Here's where I get lost... I'm not sure about anything, should I try to copy the hp setup with twins behind the bumper, do a single behind the bumper, or go with one between the coolant reservoir? Also, what size turbos would work best with this setup... I hear like twin 57mms, a GT35R, a T70, a 76 mm, and the usual T3s T4s. What is the difference between these turbos and which would work better with this car??? And on the turbo kit what else do I need, where do I get turbo headers from, what's the deal with the wastegate and boost controller, and what about the intercooler and piping? I'd like to be able to run the factory '03 cobra foglights!!! Please help guys, I keep looking and this stuff is getting frustrating!!!
Ok want to build yourself.. Good for you. Now get ready for a headache. For first time I would do a single turbo. Easier..!! Pic the power level you want then pic a turbo that can deliver a little above your goal. Do not got to big or the lag will piss you off. Turbo headers are a bitch. Everybody wants like 1500 or better. You can use any aftermarket hear and flip sides and forward and their you go. May have to cut one header and reweld to angle that you need but their you go. If go to e-bay you will find turbo headers cheap. With single turbo only need one wastegate. Choose this based on size of turbo. When order turbo they will be able to set yo up. Blowoff valve it is good to go big on that. Will protect engine, turbo, and piping/intercooler..

If relocate battery to trunk than you will have a nice place for your new turbo. Use small size pipe to turbo as well as normal size primary tubes on header. Small size keeps velocity up on exhaust and will help spool up turbo faster. As far as intercooler size and cold pipe size - this is a science. The best way is to find out the cfm capacity of the turbo used then find an intercooler that can out flow it by just a little bit. Pipe size is found by a formula that I will have to find for you later. The easy way is to use the pipe that is the same as the size from the turbo.

Injectors used are fine but are not going to let you go much past 6 -700 hp safely.

Using a stick. Get a 2 step for the car for launch. Hit it at the light hard and it will cause fake load on engine and build boost with clutch in. need at least 4500 rpms or better to be effective.

Ok hope this helps

Robert Austin (Owner opperator (DeterminedPerformance))

P.S. I sell all turbo stuff (Precision Turbo brand)

Rob
post #3 of 12 Old 12-21-2007, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Okay here were my thoughts... Ebay doesn't sell turbo headers for a 2V... so I was looking at the coated set sold by a guy on Turbocharged Innovation. Check him out and lemme know what you think. Honestly what I'd like to get as far as power is 500+rwhp on a lower boost set-up, around 600 or so on a high boost set-up... then possibly come-in with a small shot of gas to pick it up harder whenever I need to. For a single turbo set-up I'm not sure if the 67mm would work for that, but I didn't wanna go with a 76mm and the car end up lagging... I've been seeing a lot of guys running something like a 70mm (like a masterpower T70) but I wasn't sure how that would work. Also wondering about these other turbos, like the GT35R, GT37R, T3s, T4s, etc. And how can you tell the specs of a turbo as far as the power limits??? Man thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I used a combo of HP kit and Fastlane Motorsports kit/design.
I've got Twin 57's.

Check out Fastlane's website for more info.
Look under Projects.
http://www.fastlanemotorsports.us

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan
95 GT convertible
98 Twin Turbo Saleen
08 Shelby GT500
post #5 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
We are getting ready to turbo an 01 and 97 cobras. We are custom building both kits. Both will use Precision Turbo pt78's. The turbo sizing boils down to how much power you want to make and if the foundation you have will support it.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt-Rod View Post
We are getting ready to turbo an 01 and 97 cobras. We are custom building both kits. Both will use Precision Turbo pt78's. The turbo sizing boils down to how much power you want to make and if the foundation you have will support it.
when can we see your single turbo kit for 2002 mustang gt, I email you guys but no answer.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002mustanggt View Post
when can we see your single turbo kit for 2002 mustang gt, I email you guys but no answer.
Febuary
post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt-Rod View Post
Febuary
can you email price, k-member etc to [email protected]
post #9 of 12 Old 01-13-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002mustanggt View Post
do you plan on mass producing these kits? if so i want one, if not i still want one!!!
post #10 of 12 Old 01-13-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanr24 View Post
do you plan on mass producing these kits? if so i want one, if not i still want one!!!
Yes we are

post #11 of 12 Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
If you need anything, I offer a few options for the modulars.

-Mike
post #12 of 12 Old 01-13-2008, 01:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Badass a quicktime kit for modular's!! I know it will ge great because the fox body kits freeking rock!! I would check out the quicktime kit before getting one so you don't have to kick your self in the butt.. just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement