Blow through -Draw through MAF - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Blow through -Draw through MAF

I have been looking at turbo kits for my fox body.I have noticed the fox body kits are a blow through design.Now I have looked at a few factory car-trucks that have turbos on them and they are draw through maf.I called and talked to 2 very reliable tuners in the past days and both agreed that the drawthrough maf is easier to tune and so much more reliable compared to a drawthrough..Why are these fox turbo kits being designed as a blow through if a draw through is easier to tune and alot more reliable.Is it due to limited space or simplicity.I dont want to cut the inner aprons up to make these turbo kits into a drawthrough.Are there any blowthrough meters out that will perform as well as a draw through setup.Any thoughts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Well i might be able to hlep ya but if the kit ur looking at is made by a reputable comapny there shouldnt be a problem and though they are harder to tune for a good tuner should be able to take care of it.

post #3 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I went from a blow thru intercooled centri SC setup to a draw thru TC setup. I found that the blow through was easier to tune and didnt give me any problems routing bypass near the MAF. If i had to do a system from scratch I would prefer blow through.

1995 Mustang GT - 347 - PT7576
2004 Mazda RX8 - 13B-REW BWS362
2013 Mercedes GLK-350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
stay away from c&l. i would go with a pmas meter
post #5 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
yea stay away from c&L, I use a draw through on my turbo and love it. Most kits are set up for blow through becuse of space I think. It wasnt easy to convert mine.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-08-2007, 08:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
i have a C&L blowthru on my turbo setup...it runs so much better as far as streetability wise than my draw thru setup....both are animals at wide open throttle but as long as you have a nice straight flow of tubin you can use the blow thru...or my tuner just informed me of a mass air meter coming out...called a cyclone..i think thats what its called.....posed ta have like 8 little sensor all the way around the tube to help read the air better if you have a tricky set up...either one has it benefits but i like my blow thru better
post #7 of 12 Old 12-09-2007, 09:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (62)
I have and HP kit that came as a blow thru and I changed it to a draw thru. One of the best things I have ever done. drive on the street so much better and my tuner had it tuned in no time.

Big Bore Boss 347 FTI 225cc High Port, FTI Cam, Box R Intake under stock hood, T-56 Magnum, 4.30 gears.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizCutt View Post
my tuner just informed me of a mass air meter coming out...called a cyclone..
Yes it is made by PMAS and is called a Cyclone. It goes for $468 though. I have been looking into it.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
converted my supercharged car from drawthru to blowthru. driveability is good for either. the benefit of blowthru is the air is actual metered air that is going in to the engine. with a drawthru setup you have to run a bypass valve. but with a blowthru you can run a blow-off valve and bleed it to atmosphere to get the nice sound. i will go blow thru for all my future setups. and a couple of tuners i talked said blowthru uses about five percent less fuel as well.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearsjohn View Post
the benefit of blowthru is the air is actual metered air that is going in to the engine. with a drawthru setup you have to run a bypass valve.
No idea what this means. In a draw through set, the air is still "metered."

In either case, all the air is metered unless your bypass valve isn't being put back in the chain (after MAF, before turbo) which it should be.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearsjohn View Post
converted my supercharged car from drawthru to blowthru. driveability is good for either. the benefit of blowthru is the air is actual metered air that is going in to the engine. with a drawthru setup you have to run a bypass valve. but with a blowthru you can run a blow-off valve and bleed it to atmosphere to get the nice sound. i will go blow thru for all my future setups. and a couple of tuners i talked said blowthru uses about five percent less fuel as well.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Because no matter where the meter is it is still going to meter the same air. The bad part about blow thru is if the metter is not sitting just right or does not have a good path of stright incomeing air before the metter the the driveability problems could be endless. I know because I spent hole summer trying to find out why I could not drive my car and all I needed to do was move the mass air back about 2" and it was all good.

Also you still ge the "nice sound" with the bypass set up I did it on my hp kit and I still have the "nice sound". And my blow thru set up used far more gas then my draw thru.

Big Bore Boss 347 FTI 225cc High Port, FTI Cam, Box R Intake under stock hood, T-56 Magnum, 4.30 gears.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-14-2007, 03:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
in a draw thru yes it is metered what i mean is that you have a bypass valve that is open and allows the air to go from the charge tube to the inlet tube. the air sent thru the bypass is metered air but it is not actually going in to the motor.
it used both and i like the blow thru gas mileage is a little better for the blow thru on mine. but to each their own. it all comes down to the tune for driveability and gas economy in my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement