Problem with New MP T-70 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (10)
Problem with New MP T-70

Little background on my setup. I have a 99 mustang gt with a built motor and a custom turbo kit. Yesterday I finally finished the turbo install and got to start the car. There is a distinct sound coming from the MP T-70 turbo. Once the rpm's on the engine get to 2000 rpm's the turbo starts making a noise which only gets worse for a few seconds when I let off of the gas. Sounds to me that the internals are contacting the casing of the turbo. The turbo has a filter on it, and I'm running a -3 oil feed with a -10 oil return. I took the oil feed off after I took the turbo off and started the car to see if there was oil pressure in my feed line and there was great pressure; did the same with the return line and it's working great also. I haven't driven the car yet; all of this happened while the car was still on the lift. The turbo has a total of 3 minutes of run time on it, thank god I didn't drive the car because if the turbo was to let loose it would have ruined my 7K dollar engine. Now this is a brand new turbo. I have already contacted vsracing, the place I bought the turbo from, about the ordeal and i'm awaiting a response. I was undering the impression that these master power turbos were great turbos?

later,
Will

Last edited by StangMan77; 10-27-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Clearances do need to be checked and are important
between the turbine blades and the housing.

You might have a f'd turbo. I would exchange it or have it looked at
before it takes a crap and shoots a bunch of metal into your engine.

This was one of the reasons I did not order my turbos off the net
and got it from a local turbo builder that my tuner knows and trust
and a warranty is a matter of driving across town and dropping it off.

They probably are good turbos, yours was probably just not assembled
right. No one is 100% for 100% of the time. Someone has to have the
bad luck of getting the odd one that got thru.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-27-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I hear you. It's weird because the impeller blades don't bind in any way when i spin them by hand, but once I start the engine the noise is very noticeable. Unfortunately I got a message from vsracing and Viren says I need to send it back to the manufacturer for warranty. Just more time before I get the car back on the road, wish they could just exchange the turbo for another one and deal with the warranty issue. After all I paid good money for the turbo and I don't think i'm asking too much to get a properly opperating turbo in return....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-27-2007, 02:28 PM

Get someone on the phone at VS and ask that.
You'll get a lot farther with someone in person.
They should do a simple exchange for you I would think.
Not like its a used part thats f'd up, its brand new.

I hear you. I know my tuner made specific mention when
I told him to get mine, that "all clearances" were measured
and confirmed because they are critical.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-27-2007, 08:47 PM

Sounds like a thrust clearance issue...
This "can" happen to "much" more expensive turbo's ...
I guess you are one of the 2.9% ??
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=74174.0
Yes its an inconvenience, but you'll get there....

1991 XR8 Australian Falcon TFS induction
2014 Falcon GTE Supercharged Coyote

85 Lb inj Custom cam ,P 2000 Haltech ecu...4x's 2 coil wasted spark ignition.Twin SC 61-2s with Dart block, 330/4340 Crank, Oliver rods,7.9/ comp c C.P pistons.. 482 rwkw/ 646 rwhp..A.P 4 pot brakes...TKO
post #6 of 13 Old 10-27-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Could be thrust clearance issues, or perhaps inproper balancing. The master power turbos have been back ordered up to 3 weeks ago do to the turbo balance machine unfunctional. I'm guessing they may have not fixed the problem. I got a return message from viren at vsracing.com and he's telling me I have to send the turbo for warranty work and it is at their discretion whether or not they replace the turbo. I don't have a good feeling about this one... I got a total of 3 minutes of run time, all of which was on jack stands, out of the turbo and I might end up with a big paper weight.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-28-2007, 01:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangMan77 View Post
Could be thrust clearance issues, or perhaps inproper balancing. The master power turbos have been back ordered up to 3 weeks ago do to the turbo balance machine unfunctional. I'm guessing they may have not fixed the problem. I got a return message from viren at vsracing.com and he's telling me I have to send the turbo for warranty work and it is at their discretion whether or not they replace the turbo. I don't have a good feeling about this one... I got a total of 3 minutes of run time, all of which was on jack stands, out of the turbo and I might end up with a big paper weight.
Doesn't sound like much customer service if that's the policy. Almost sounds as tho it would be better to buy a hotside & coldside kit, supply your own turbo and cut out the middle man jacking the price up.......since, if anything happens you are the one left going back to the manufacturer.

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
post #8 of 13 Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 AM

This happens alot, I know when the gtp series of ball bearing turbo's came out for the powerstroke, I worked for the largest garrett distributor in the u.s (diesel injection service) and there was a large amount of failures of various causes, and wheel rubs and so on happen on brand new truck engines alot as well. It happens.

As far as the middle man, ratedz, it's very rare to not have a middle man, as most large manufacturers use distributors to make the sale, and handle the warranty considerations, just as garrett, and borg warner, and others do. Precision would do the same thing if you sent it to them, they may or may not warranty it. It's just a chance you take, most of the time it's plain to see if it's oil contamination or something else, if not chances are your turbo will be fixed or replaced without question.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-28-2007, 11:57 AM

I spent $100+ more for each of my turbos over what I could have
gotten them off the web for so that I could buy mine local from
a turbo shop I trusted.

There are just somethings I dont think should be bought thru the internet
turbos and crate engines top the list.

Warranties are great, but only when you can throw it in the truck
drive across town and throw it on someones counter ...................

post #10 of 13 Old 10-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdonkey View Post
This happens alot, I know when the gtp series of ball bearing turbo's came out for the powerstroke, I worked for the largest garrett distributor in the u.s (diesel injection service) and there was a large amount of failures of various causes, and wheel rubs and so on happen on brand new truck engines alot as well. It happens.

As far as the middle man, ratedz, it's very rare to not have a middle man, as most large manufacturers use distributors to make the sale, and handle the warranty considerations, just as garrett, and borg warner, and others do. Precision would do the same thing if you sent it to them, they may or may not warranty it. It's just a chance you take, most of the time it's plain to see if it's oil contamination or something else, if not chances are your turbo will be fixed or replaced without question.
I completely forgot about distributors, duh on my part. Well, hopefully it gets worked out without issues.

For the most part - these MP T70's are holding up rather well correct?

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
post #11 of 13 Old 10-28-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.barn View Post
I spent $100+ more for each of my turbos over what I could have
gotten them off the web for so that I could buy mine local from
a turbo shop I trusted.

There are just somethings I dont think should be bought thru the internet
turbos and crate engines top the list.

Warranties are great, but only when you can throw it in the truck
drive across town and throw it on someones counter ...................
That's fine and dandy, but i'd rather have something I can depend on, most of us arent fortunate enough to have good turbo builders across town, Personally i have the largest garrett distributor in the country 15minutes away, unfortunately they cant build specialty turbo's or anything other then out of the the cataloge garrett turbo's. Fortunately if i do decide to get something like a gt47r or so on i can get it here and take it back for work etc. But if i decide to go with a pt setup i wont be so lucky.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 AM

Anciety is high.. In time it will be sorted..Be cool at the end of the day its not worth getting in a Tizz....
Deep breath's ... calm calm.... Feel better ????

1991 XR8 Australian Falcon TFS induction
2014 Falcon GTE Supercharged Coyote

85 Lb inj Custom cam ,P 2000 Haltech ecu...4x's 2 coil wasted spark ignition.Twin SC 61-2s with Dart block, 330/4340 Crank, Oliver rods,7.9/ comp c C.P pistons.. 482 rwkw/ 646 rwhp..A.P 4 pot brakes...TKO
post #13 of 13 Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Alright I contacted the company that deals with the warranty work for the master power turbo's, there located in Miami, FL. They told me to send the turbo in and they will inspect it to figure out what failed on it, I expected this. Now only time will tell if master power will stand up to what seems to be faulty assembly/machine work. Hopefully they won't try and blaim the turbo failure on me. My fingers are crossed and i'll keep you guys updated.

later,
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement