Couple of questions/suggestions - attn: Quicktime - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
Couple of questions/suggestions - attn: Quicktime

Well, i'm just a scant couple of weeks from ordering my QT kit but i'm trying to tie up a few loose ends and gain some more reassurance that this is the correct route to go for my goals.

I'd like to give a little background on the car and the intended useage of it as well as my expectations and see if, according to opinions, I need to address anything.

Here's a rundown of how the car will appear with the QT kit on it - this means that I am going to eliminate items currently on the car that will be removed/replaced ie - mac headers, flowmaster cat-back, 4.10 gears, etc..

1986 Mustang GT
80k stock shortblock
TEA stage 1 ported TW heads
1.6 rr
Explorer intake
70mm TB
Underdrive pullies
MSD ignition
Griffon radiator
Black Magic fan kit
AOD - hardened input shaft
DirtyDog 3800 converter
3.27 gear
Strange adjustable struts/shocks
QA1 coilover kit w/ 150lb springs
UPR Pro Series lower control arms
UPR Pro Series upper control arms
UPR Full length subframe connectors

Those are the basics to the car. The intended useage is street/strip with an emphasis on strip as I run weekly points at the local track. The car is a complete full interior street car however, that I drive occassionaly to and from work (60 roundtrip) or my wife will drive in the city.

This is a car that will sit in the garage during rain or snow only and 100% of the time other than that, it's getting driven and/or beat on regularly.

Goals:

First and foremost, consistency at the track. I am a former supercharger guy, my car was still pretty consistent despite heat. Is the turbo going to be any different? Can this thing be driven to the track (70 mile round) and then raced at a competitive level?

Numbers? Eh, low 11's-mid 10's at 125-130mph would be good. Mid 1.5 60's every time I mash the gas would be cool - is the turbo going to allow for good 60's? Sometimes we are forced into running 1/8mile so getting the holeshot is important.

Is the MP T-70 going to be enough for me to attain what I want to do? I plan on buying at least 42lb injectors, 255 in tank pump, and a mass air conversion. I have not decided whether or not to put in an F303 cam while i'm in there.

Ok, thoughts? Suggestions?


1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Louisville,Ky
Posts: 57
There is no reason why you shouldnt be able to drive the car to and from the track. A couple of things I would add, A good oil cooler, a turbocharger does put more strain on the oil as it increases the oil's responsibility as it now has to cool and lubricate an often times extremely hot shaft and bearings. The oil cooler will drasticly decrease oil temps which will help the oil live longer, and also keep the car running cooler all around. Tranny cooler?If you dont have one i'd probably get one as well. Last but not least, consider the vs turbo blanket, we are using one on another turbo car and after a pass I have put my hand on the blanket, and while hot I can still touch it, you touch a bare turbine housing and your going to lose several layers of skin. It's a great way to reduce ambient underhood temps and I am pretty sure newt can get you one.
The masterpower turbo will support a good deal of power, it's also proving to be very reliable, if your on a stock block there isnt much need for anything else, unless you just want a precision or garrett for personal reasons. Just get to the track in time to cool the car down from your street driving, and you should be fine.
Also to get good 60's your probably gonna want to go with some type of transbrake and a 2 step setup with something such as a 6al. Ignition upgrades are a good idea anyway. But I think the car will run pretty good regardless.

Swampdonkey is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I'm currently running a big tranny cooler, I left it off the list along with some other items that I take for granted. IMO, automatic car should always have a cooler.

Oil cooler - i'll look into it as well as the blanket.

Couple other things regarding the racing part. I run no power steering now, no a/c, no smog, etc.. and will be upgrading to a tubular kmember and front control arms. Should offer a little more room and less weight.

Currently the car weighs 3000-3150lbs with me in it.

Most of our cooldown periods during points are from 1/2hr - 1 hour between runs.

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Louisville,Ky
Posts: 57
It's hard to say what power level you'll be at as the aod will take some power away, At 10-12psi your going to be close to the 500whp mark i would assume, this is factoring in your good heads, and even on a stock cam. And over 500wtq without issue. I dont know how well the car will come out on the footbrake but if you get the chassis working it should do pretty good, 1.5's without a brake will be tough. You can always get a c02 tank and spray co2 on the i/c and radiator to help cool down, but i would think that's enough cool down time.
Swampdonkey is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
How quickly does the power come on for the T70? I would like to stay running 8-10psi boost

The dyno numbers - mean nothing to me. They're misleading anyway, my local dyno shop sponsors my car so I get enough numbers as it is. Like you said the AOD will eat up the HP numbers and my 3800 converter will inflate the TQ numbers quite a bit. The rollers are a tool for my car - I use the track to find out how it's running

Anyway - getting the car too hook is going to be my responsibility, i'm just wondering how quick these things start to make big power?

Currently I can hit high 1.6's and that's with 246rwhp 300rwtq - so if I can squeeze more power out of it, and I do my job tuning the suspension I feel 1.5's should be pretty damn easy - assuming of course that this thing give me some low end to work with.

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Registered User
 
staticstang's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Syracuse, IN
Posts: 352
I agree w/ what swampdonkey is saying.

Getting the car to hook may take some time and practice w/ suspension/tire setup.

You will be making 8-10psi as soon as you leave the line if your leaving off boost(2 step/brake) and will stay in full boost until you let off. I see full boost around 3000-3200rpm under high load.

Get a blanket - I dont have one and it gets hot as hell under the hood.

93' SSP Notch 579hp/556tq - SOLD
00' GT 641hp/536tq - Novi 2K(17psi)
staticstang is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticstang View Post
I agree w/ what swampdonkey is saying.

Getting the car to hook may take some time and practice w/ suspension/tire setup.

You will be making 8-10psi as soon as you leave the line if your leaving off boost(2 step/brake) and will stay in full boost until you let off. I see full boost around 3000-3200rpm under high load.

Get a blanket - I dont have one and it gets hot as hell under the hood.
Good to know - any more info on your car? Your car is the one that made my mind up on this kit. Any more vids or pics?

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52
I have the QT kit on the setup below and i see full boost by 2400. As far as driveable I dont have any problems driving it 150 miles 1 way.
05xterra is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
So, does the combo that I have listed appear that it will work well with the QT T70 kit or do I upgrade to the T76?


I'm assumming that the T70 will get mid 10's with the right combo and 60'?

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 AM
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedz View Post
So, does the combo that I have listed appear that it will work well with the QT T70 kit or do I upgrade to the T76?


I'm assumming that the T70 will get mid 10's with the right combo and 60'?
said combo and your there or if you just want to upgrade to the t76 you can do that and do the 44mm tial all at one time and be done for a long time. Pt 76 is rated 1100fwhp.

Newt-Rod is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt-Rod View Post
said combo and your there or if you just want to upgrade to the t76 you can do that and do the 44mm tial all at one time and be done for a long time. Pt 76 is rated 1100fwhp.
Thanks! I think i'm going to stay with the T70 - I'm pretty sure that it's going to be plenty for my goals.

Still about 6-8 weeks out on the builds?

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 10-25-2007, 02:29 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedz View Post
Thanks! I think i'm going to stay with the T70 - I'm pretty sure that it's going to be plenty for my goals.

Still about 6-8 weeks out on the builds?
5 weeks as of right now
Newt-Rod is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 10-25-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt-Rod View Post
5 weeks as of right now
Nice - it's almost Winter here now so i'm in no rush anyhow. I'm simply waiting on a check to arrive so that I can call you to place the order.

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Registered User
 
staticstang's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Syracuse, IN
Posts: 352
There is a guy on another site w/ a MP T70 and he is running 9's w/ the turbo on his car. I'm getting 128-129mph on 8psi which is good for mid-low 10's w/ a good hook/driver. I'd say that you are on the right track w/ your setup. Also, if your going to be tearing into the car this winter I would install the F-cam.

Also, where are you located?

93' SSP Notch 579hp/556tq - SOLD
00' GT 641hp/536tq - Novi 2K(17psi)
staticstang is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
I'm located in Ohio

The F-cam was originally planned during the teardown this Winter, good buy in your opinion?

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Registered User
 
privatejoker's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: overland park kansas
Posts: 1,304
How about skipping the mass air conversion and going with something like a megasquirt? I think the tuning ability will be helpful in keeping that factory short block in one piece. Have you done any research on piston to valve clearance for that cam in an 86 short block?
privatejoker is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by privatejoker View Post
How about skipping the mass air conversion and going with something like a megasquirt? I think the tuning ability will be helpful in keeping that factory short block in one piece. Have you done any research on piston to valve clearance for that cam in an 86 short block?
I can run a turbo with speed density?

I have the twisted wedge heads and everything i've researched says that I will encounter zero problems with the F-cam on a stock 86 piston. The valve reliefs on the 87-up aren't used with TW heads so there's really no difference between those and a true flat 86 piston.

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered User
 
staticstang's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Syracuse, IN
Posts: 352
I run a X-cam and in my opinion its ok w/ a turbo, but I would like to try an F-cam. It is designed better for forced induction.

Yes, you can run speed density(MAP sensor) engine managment w/ any setup. All of the "big dogs" run that setup ie. Fast, BS3, Megasquirt, etc.

I was talking to a guy at NMRA Bowling Green who was big into the megasquirt thing and they are planning on coming out w/ a straight plug-n-play setup for the fox body mustang. If you want I can try and get ahold of him to see if that is available, otherwise you will have to piece together the megasquirt setup.

If you want to run MAF, which is what I am doing, you can get ahold of me and I can help you through a Tweecer setup/tune. I tuned my car w/ the Tweecer and have great results. Or you can pay and get the car tuned at a speed shop. Whatever you choose you will be about $500 poorer.

93' SSP Notch 579hp/556tq - SOLD
00' GT 641hp/536tq - Novi 2K(17psi)
staticstang is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticstang View Post
I run a X-cam and in my opinion its ok w/ a turbo, but I would like to try an F-cam. It is designed better for forced induction.

Yes, you can run speed density(MAP sensor) engine managment w/ any setup. All of the "big dogs" run that setup ie. Fast, BS3, Megasquirt, etc.

I was talking to a guy at NMRA Bowling Green who was big into the megasquirt thing and they are planning on coming out w/ a straight plug-n-play setup for the fox body mustang. If you want I can try and get ahold of him to see if that is available, otherwise you will have to piece together the megasquirt setup.

If you want to run MAF, which is what I am doing, you can get ahold of me and I can help you through a Tweecer setup/tune. I tuned my car w/ the Tweecer and have great results. Or you can pay and get the car tuned at a speed shop. Whatever you choose you will be about $500 poorer.
I'll probably stick with the mass air conversion with an SCT BA2400 meter. My buddy owns a dyno shop and he sponsors my car so the tune should be pretty reasonable for it.

Have you been back to the track with the car yet? I see a lot of people buying the QT kit but not many people posting dyno/track results with it. I'm one of those guys that hits the track minimum twice a week sometimes 3-4 times a week to practice reaction times and whatnot.

If you don't mind you'll probably be the guy that I look to for help (if needed) when I get the kit. As I said before - the video of your car with minimal mods is what eliminated the idea of a big inch stroker or supercharger from my build ideas. Straight to turbo after your video

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Registered User
 
FastCat70's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Owensboro Ky
Posts: 68
RatedZ; Hey if you don't know about www.clickclickracing.com You will neeed to check them out for info on keeping the AOD together with the QTT Power.


Not trying to be a A--Hole just beeen there and done that with my car.
FastCat70 is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ratedz's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCat70 View Post
RatedZ; Hey if you don't know about www.clickclickracing.com You will neeed to check them out for info on keeping the AOD together with the QTT Power.


Not trying to be a A--Hole just beeen there and done that with my car.

FastCat - thanks for the info, i'm on ClickClickRacing under the same username

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
ratedz is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Registered User
 
staticstang's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Syracuse, IN
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedz View Post
I'll probably stick with the mass air conversion with an SCT BA2400 meter. My buddy owns a dyno shop and he sponsors my car so the tune should be pretty reasonable for it.

Have you been back to the track with the car yet? I see a lot of people buying the QT kit but not many people posting dyno/track results with it. I'm one of those guys that hits the track minimum twice a week sometimes 3-4 times a week to practice reaction times and whatnot.

If you don't mind you'll probably be the guy that I look to for help (if needed) when I get the kit. As I said before - the video of your car with minimal mods is what eliminated the idea of a big inch stroker or supercharger from my build ideas. Straight to turbo after your video

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad that I posted the stuff on my car and its helping you and others decide on what type of power adder to get. I don't mind at all if you want to get ahold of me for help/information when you get your Quicktime Kit.

93' SSP Notch 579hp/556tq - SOLD
00' GT 641hp/536tq - Novi 2K(17psi)
staticstang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome