What engine combo would you use if planning to twin turbo??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
What engine combo would you use if planning to twin turbo???

Hey guys... just a newbie looking for some advice/ideas.

I have an 86 GT that is basically stock, minus a new rear end & some suspension work.

At this point, I'm starting to think about what to do with the motor.

I'd like to end up with a streetable twin turbo setup if possible. I've always loved turbos, and am wanting this setup primarily for the xtra power "when you want it" factor, but also because this a somewhat rare in Mustangs...

I'd like to start with a 302, add the TT & end up with around 350-400 hp with decent boost. If possible, I'd like to drop this combo in together... I was originally looking at the Ford Racing crate motors, but not sure which (if any) would work best with TT? If I could have someone build a better suited motor cheaper, than that's what I'd like to do..

My question is:
What combo would you guys use if starting from scratch? And what kind of cost am I looking at? I don't know much at all about TT mustang setups, nor what motor combos work best with them. Does anyone think I can pull this off for less than $7000?

I'd like to do this the most cost effective way possible, but DO NOT want it to look Sh*tty with the hood open. I'd like to end up with a clean look (no need for chrome).

Thanks in advance for your help.

My car:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Stang9350; 10-17-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 07:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Imo go with Sportsman Dart block, there are co. out there that build them..
Go with 8.8 to 8.5 comp..Any 1/2 decent heads.. Top rods and pistons to your budget..Some T3's off turbo Coupe or some new T3's? Not that $$$ new...Check out www.turbomustangs.com there are MANY kits there...You'll require a GOOD fuel supply system, atleast Walbro 255 in tank pump, 42 Lb injectors and maf or ECU to control engine managment...If you have T5 take it easy and clutch is suspect with miles on them...Its not just power thaqt increases but torque which breaks things is easy doubled...Find as much info you can, buy some books like Corkey Bells, Do search on Amazon...
Graeme...

1991 XR8 Australian Falcon TFS induction
2014 Falcon GTE Supercharged Coyote

85 Lb inj Custom cam ,P 2000 Haltech ecu...4x's 2 coil wasted spark ignition.Twin SC 61-2s with Dart block, 330/4340 Crank, Oliver rods,7.9/ comp c C.P pistons.. 482 rwkw/ 646 rwhp..A.P 4 pot brakes...TKO
post #3 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 AM

you can get that power with a stock motor at 6-8 psi. so to do it cheap rebuid your stock motor with all the parts you already have in it because the will last longer than the block. change the heads to a decent head you do not have to go crazy maybe afr 185s and leave the stock cam. you can find plenty of turbo kits. quicktime is suppose to be good and they are rather inexpensive, but it is a single turbo. if you want twins build it yourself for cheap or by a twin kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys...

My stock 86 is a "dog", so I'm not sure I want to slap a twin turbo kit on that. I was thinking about building a mild 302 w/ the turbos.

Just curious what the most popular twin turbo kit for street application Mustangs is???

Thanks.

post #5 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 PM

Out of curiousity, what is the reasoning behind the twins as opposed to a well setup single? I have agree that the Quicktime setup that is available for foxes is really clean and produces great power. Just thinking out loud here, you could take your 302, have it freshened up with a new bottom end that is stronger, get a decent set up heads (possibly even used to save some money), a new intake gasket matched to the heads (or used if you find one you like), and then slap on a good turbo matched to the motor. In my eyes you are getting the best bang for your buck that way but you are still going to be at the edge of the stock block when you are said and done with a single or a twin setup.

Last thing... the only reason I am pushing towards a single is because it is simple and sometimes being different, aka more complicated, ends up costing way more than you ever anticipated in the long run.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 PM

the thing is he does not need new bottom end parts the parts will last longer than the block will. the block is the weak point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastceli00 View Post
Out of curiousity, what is the reasoning behind the twins as opposed to a well setup single? I have agree that the Quicktime setup that is available for foxes is really clean and produces great power. Just thinking out loud here, you could take your 302, have it freshened up with a new bottom end that is stronger, get a decent set up heads (possibly even used to save some money), a new intake gasket matched to the heads (or used if you find one you like), and then slap on a good turbo matched to the motor. In my eyes you are getting the best bang for your buck that way but you are still going to be at the edge of the stock block when you are said and done with a single or a twin setup.

Last thing... the only reason I am pushing towards a single is because it is simple and sometimes being different, aka more complicated, ends up costing way more than you ever anticipated in the long run.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 PM

He will not break the block for the power levels he wants.

www.fordstrokers.com
Can put together 306 long block with Canfield heads and custom cam
for $3,000-3,500. Tell them you want to boost it. Will come with turbo
cam and everything.

www.quicktimeturbosystems.com
$3,000-$3,500 turbo kit depending on options.

Run about 12-15psi on that set-up and it will last a really long time
and scare the shyt out of you.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Single might be the way to go then?... If its easier and cheaper.

If you were me, how would you build on a stock 86 block? What would you use? What kind of heads, cam, intake.... etc.

Again, I'm looking for around 400hp... maybe a tad over...

Thanks so much again for the help.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.barn View Post

www.fordstrokers.com
cam and everything.

Exactly what I was looking for. THANKS!!

post #10 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang9350 View Post
Single might be the way to go then?... If its easier and cheaper.

If you were me, how would you build on a stock 86 block? What would you use? What kind of heads, cam, intake.... etc.

Again, I'm looking for around 400hp... maybe a tad over...

Thanks so much again for the help.
Any aftermarket heads from AFR, TFS, Holley, Edelbrock, Canefield, RHS, etc..
Slightly bigger clearance in piston to bore and ring end gap. Maybe bigger pan to allow better oil cooling and windage control...
With good tune 9 to 1 compression is fine..
But its safer to have 8.5...
If you select heads with 67cc chambers ? The bottom end may only need a freshen up..Hone, new plazma rings and some new bearings...I'd check oil pump while you have it appart and replace timing chain..Fit some ARP bolts or studs. Head seal can be an issue if not 100% right...The std bolts [tty] have a tendancy to stretch, alittle elastic....
Naturally one or two oil return pipes welded to oil pan...
The F 303 Ford cam is a safe off the shelf cam...Been well proven to work well...
Going single is better imo .. If you have issues or want to upgrade its far easier with single turbo...

1991 XR8 Australian Falcon TFS induction
2014 Falcon GTE Supercharged Coyote

85 Lb inj Custom cam ,P 2000 Haltech ecu...4x's 2 coil wasted spark ignition.Twin SC 61-2s with Dart block, 330/4340 Crank, Oliver rods,7.9/ comp c C.P pistons.. 482 rwkw/ 646 rwhp..A.P 4 pot brakes...TKO

Last edited by xr8240; 10-18-2007 at 11:37 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
stock bottom end
tfs twisted wedge heads
tfs intake
65mm throttle body
42lb injectors
255lph fuel pump
sct ba 2600 mass air meter
custom tune
single turbo kit from quicktime

MORE THAN ENOUGH POWER TO SPLIT YOUR STOCK BLOCK
post #12 of 14 Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.barn View Post

www.fordstrokers.com
cam and everything.

While his power goals won't necessarily be block splitting in nature…the combo you suggest absolutely will. 12-15 psi on the combo you suggest is going to be laying down far greater than 500rwhp…which you can't say without a doubt will "last a really long time".

For his horsepower goals, a simple turbo kit running at 12psi and fuel system upgrade should have no problems laying it down. He could even upgrade to some explorer heads and intake and lay down the same rwhp numbers at 8lbs of boost or less.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #13 of 14 Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
While his power goals won't necessarily be block splitting in nature…the combo you suggest absolutely will. 12-15 psi on the combo you suggest is going to be laying down far greater than 500rwhp…which you can't say without a doubt will "last a really long time".

For his horsepower goals, a simple turbo kit running at 12psi and fuel system upgrade should have no problems laying it down. He could even upgrade to some explorer heads and intake and lay down the same rwhp numbers at 8lbs of boost or less.
Yes you are absolutely correct on his horsepower levels he wants. I was just stating you have more than enough power to do it.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-19-2007, 10:47 AM

Just to chime in here - on my 86 i'm going with a QuickTime kit, about 2 weeks out from ordering. After speaking with QT, I was sold. I'm one of those 75% customer service sells me kinda guys so it was a no brainer after speaking with him.

My 86 currently

Stock 80k shortblock
TEA ported TW heads
1.6 rollers
Explorer intake (replacing with Jegs box)
Underdrives
70mm TB
AOD w/ dirtydog 3800 converter

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement