twin turbo install questions!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 112
twin turbo install questions!!

well i am putting my built 9:1 306 with aluminum heads and sage 2 cam and edelbrock intake. (just listing major supporting mods) into my 1998 cobra


i am installing 2 garret gt28 turbos' (internally gated) and i have a couple questions before mocking it up

1. if the kit was made for a fox will the only think i need to change is the inlet pipe from ic to tb?

2. where do i tap for oil feed and return lines?

3. i know how to run a boost controller from nipple in charge piping on the outlet of the turbo to the wastegate, but how do i run a MBC with the twins to have the same boost on each turbo.

4. Where do i run a boost gauge from

5. what kind of boost should i run and power to expect. i will have n20 hooked up into the charge pipe. small shot to just cool the charge.

6. i have 42lb injectors with pro m mass air meter, and should i just mount that in my intake pipe to compensate for injectors and is that all i really need on a tune to drive it and boost. not necessarily perform at 100% capablity or acess all of its power. but can it run be drove hard how that is.

7. where do i tap for coolant feed/return

i really appreciate it and i plan to add and remove questions as answered and if some other things come up


i really appreciate it


Last edited by DragSN95; 10-14-2007 at 11:57 PM.
DragSN95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2007, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 112
60 A/R EXHAUST

.63 COMPRESSOR

DUAL BALL BEARINGS



---turbo info

DragSN95 is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 10-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Registered User
 
millhouse's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragSN95 View Post
well i am putting my built 9:1 306 with aluminum heads and sage 2 cam and edelbrock intake. (just listing major supporting mods) into my 1998 cobra


i am installing 2 garret gt28 turbos' (internally gated) and i have a couple questions before mocking it up

1. if the kit was made for a fox will the only think i need to change is the inlet pipe from ic to tb?
Does it hook into the stock H-Pipe location? If so, it was my understanding that the sn95 and fox setups were different due to header differences. There is no guarantee that the rest of the cold side will fit…and unless you have no qualms doing some fab work, I would ask the question from whoever made the kit personally.

Quote:
2. where do i tap for oil feed and return lines?
You'll need to come off of the oil pressure log on the front-drivers side of the engine. You can either add some inline T fittings or tap the log itself. I've done both, and tapping the log looks both cleaner…and has far less issues sealing.

As far as the returns go, you'll need to either drill the pan in the appropriate locations and weld a bung in…or go with the punch/tap method used by Vortec. Both work great…however, the drill and tap method is a bit more tedious as you need to ensure no shavings enter the oil pan. As far as the locations go, I don't have them at my disposal, but some searching either here over turbomustangs.com for should yield excellent results.

Quote:
3. i know how to run a boost controller from nipple in charge piping on the outlet of the turbo to the wastegate, but how do i run a MBC with the twins to have the same boost on each turbo.
For the boost controller you'll run a vacuum line from either the upper intake or vacuum tree on the firewall to the MBC….after which you will split it off and run it to both wastegate actuators.

Quote:
4. Where do i run a boost gauge from
Hook it up to the vacuum tree on the firewall.

Quote:
5. what kind of boost should i run and power to expect. i will have n20 hooked up into the charge pipe. small shot to just cool the charge.
What h/c/i are you running? If you are running the stock longblock, you should be able to go up to 12psi as long as your tune is on. I think your underestimating the effectiveness of a turbo setup though…as you will not need the n20 to cool jack. You should have no issues running block splitting h/p levels with 12psi and a safe tune. The n20 is simply not necessary…and really not worth the extra expense/risk.

Now, if you have an aftermarket h/c/I setup…you'll be able to run less boost and achieve the same h/p levels. From what I've seen, ~8psi should get you there with a good h/c/I setup.

Quote:
6. i have 42lb injectors with pro m mass air meter, and should i just mount that in my intake pipe to compensate for injectors and is that all i really need on a tune to drive it and boost. not necessarily perform at 100% capablity or acess all of its power. but can it run be drove hard how that is.
Well, yes…and no really. It seems that the sn95 computer setups are a bit more dangerous to simply leave it all to the sensor itself. What you'll typically see for us foxbody guys who choose to go the cheap route is…well run the mass air calibrated to the injectors, set the base timing to 18*-20* and leave the spout out. This locks the timing and ensures that the computer can’t compensate. For WOT performance it's really not a bad way to go, and you wont be leaving to awful much on the table. It will however hurt daily drivability somewhat. This can be seen on cold starts and low load acceleration where it may feel a bit doggy.

Quote:
7. where do i tap for coolant feed/return
A good spot seems to be the heater rail that's connected to the lower intake.

Quote:
i really appreciate it and i plan to add and remove questions as answered and if some other things come up


i really appreciate it
Before you get to far into this, I highly suggest doing some searching and looking at what others have done over on turbomustans.com. Many over there have documented their builds and have all the info and more.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
millhouse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 4 Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 112
thanks very much i appreciate it!

i have performer rpm aluminum heads, performer rpm inakte and cam.

im familiar with turbo setups as coming from a 4cyl point of view.


i wll lerk turbo mustangs and hopefully find something a good build thread!
DragSN95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome