Considering re installing my turbo kit, need opinions? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (22)
Considering re installing my turbo kit, need opinions?

Car is a 1991 H/C/I Notch, has ported trick flow heads, f-cam and a systemax intake. The stock block was rebuilt around 4k miles ago, I blew a 1011-2 when the vacuum hose came off the wastegate. I just finished working out quite a few bugs and this happened during a test drive, I was pissed to say the least.

I removed the Hellion 62mm kit and slapped on some headers, h-pipe and some 30's w/ a new mass air sensor, the car runs great now, is still fairly quick, I'm guessing 315hp or so.

Before @ 5000rpm's I was running lean @ 11-12psi so I was never able to rev up to 6000 like I wanted to, but a 5000 I was making 485hp and 485tq on a real mild tune, w/ the 42's and the 255 intank I knew I needed another inline and some 60's to feed the turbo better.

Like all turbo cars, it spent the majority of it's turbo life on jackstands, I hated it, but I miss the power now, but I like being able to jump in the car and have ZERO worries.

Should I put the kit back on, I thought of lowering the boost to around 7-8psi, I think my fuel system could handle that, I could probably rev it a little more and maybe have it re tuned a little more aggressive.

I also wanted to heat wrap anything and everything, drivers side header, crossover, downpipe, is that OK to wrap everything, I really want this car to be dependable, Anything above 425hp would keep me happy, 11's and the ability to drive home.

HELP PLEASE, I NEED OPINIONS AND FEEDBACK, I CAN'T DECIDE, HELP SWAY ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

Last edited by turboLXstang; 10-04-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Interesting question. I keep breaking stuff on my turbo car and think about tearing everything off and going back to NA. In my case it would be less than 300 to the wheels NA, I would predict. That being said, I say go for putting the turbo stuff back on. Just be really careful and conservative. With the right tune, you should have been able to run with your old setup at that boost. But as you said, back it off some and dial it in for reliability. Then you have your cake and eat it too. Then once you are confident (ie bored with the power), you can SLOWLY and carefully make changes to raise the power.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #3 of 6 Old 10-04-2007, 09:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I say put it back on, and turn down the boost like you said. Dont get greedy with the power, because there is always somebody faster or puts down more power on the dyno. Enjoy it for what you got, and know there is more power on tap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
So what seems to be the problems with turbos that everyone says they're always on jackstands?

Is it power greed or are these things junk and just don't hold together?

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
post #5 of 6 Old 10-04-2007, 12:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
The turbos hold together fine. It is just that the amount of power they make (I think especially at lower rpms) puts strain on other components. With almost any turbo setup it is difficult to make much less than 400 hp and more torque. A decent setup should be making north of 500 hp. So now you are into discussing whether the stock 5.0 block can take it.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #6 of 6 Old 10-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
The turbos hold together fine. It is just that the amount of power they make (I think especially at lower rpms) puts strain on other components. With almost any turbo setup it is difficult to make much less than 400 hp and more torque. A decent setup should be making north of 500 hp. So now you are into discussing whether the stock 5.0 block can take it.
Erich
Cool - I have no problem buying a turbo kit and expecting to save for an aftermarket block. If that's the only big issue with them, i'll take it. Granted, it's a costly big issue but as long as they're not down for weeks after making 5 passes because of constantly breaking stupid crap then fine.

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement