TRYING TO DECIDE FOREVER, TURBO OR NITROUS??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 140 Old 09-04-2007, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
TRYING TO DECIDE FOREVER, TURBO OR NITROUS???

I have been thinking about what i want to go with in my Stang.I have only been in a few Turbo cars and they were all Grand National's.Its impossible to compare the V-6 Automatic GN"S with a V-8 Mustang from what people say.I have a 5 speed but i don't know how a Turbo'd Mustang would react to a 5 speed car.I know automatics are great for turbo's and are quicker on the track.I like NOS because it hits harder(like a freight train) then any type of power adder there is.I know a Turbo has more gradual power but produce's incredible torque.I plan on getting a 351W for whatever I choose.Like I said I love Turbo's,I don't like supercharger's,NOS is thumbs up.I know a Turbo set up is expensive but if I went to the NOS route I would probably get a 351W Stroked to a 408 or 427.Im looking for a fast street car that is very streetable.I know with the 408 or 427 I won't get the gas mileage of a Turbo set up.Right now I have a bone stock 5.0 in good running condition with 3.73 Gear's.Either way its going to cost me around the same if i go to a turbo or a 4o8 or 427.Any guy's here feel that the Turbo's hit just as hard as the Nitrous car's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Please stop calling nitrous "NOS" ... NOS is a brand ...

The fact that nitrous "hits hard" is not good, thats what breaks stuff, that all at once shock..

post #3 of 140 Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Strap a turbo onto that 5.0 it will
be capable of breaking all the other parts your car has.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 140 Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
I have had Nitrous on my car, it was "cool" but nothing like the turbo !!!!!

I have run WAY better times with 10 psi then I did on a 150 shot.

The turbo is allways there at the hit of the throttle, nitrous is NOT. You dont have to worry about bottle pressure or if the bottle is open/full.

Bottle refills can add up. here its $65 for a 10lb bottle, and as fun as it is 10lbs dont last long lol lol

The decision maker for me was when I spent almost $1200 on the nitrous kit,purge,heater, ect ect and the wife went for a ride with me and said...."Thats it?? not worth the money" but when I spent WAY more doing my turbo set up and went for a ride, she smiled and even agreed IT WAS WORT IT!!!

same motor/trans/tires a 150 shot picked me up 11-13 mph and ONLY 10 psi got me 19 mph.. you be the judge

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #5 of 140 Old 09-04-2007, 02:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
I had nitrous and now im going turbo maybe that helps....

Don't get shook of a little bone stock 302 short block!!

SIRACING.NET
post #6 of 140 Old 09-04-2007, 02:57 PM

Dont have to fill a turbo up every weekend.

TURBO!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #7 of 140 Old 09-04-2007, 03:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
do turbo for pump and both for race gas!! HAHA

thats what im doin... of course fully built aftermarker block will be needed.

if i had to pic one i say turbo

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #8 of 140 Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostHappy View Post
Please stop calling nitrous "NOS" ... NOS is a brand ...

The fact that nitrous "hits hard" is not good, thats what breaks stuff, that all at once shock..
Yeah you're rite NOS is a brand, but you're wrong where you said its all in one hit and it breaks stuff... It all depends on what motor is setup to withold..Compression, bottom end, all that stuff... I've got a 90lx with a stock bottom end stock block on a 175 shot, built with heads, cam, intake, headers, so on, and on... And its ran like a champ for the past 3yrs, "its not from the HIT its from the type of setups, and ignorance"
post #9 of 140 Old 09-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVR2fast90 View Post
Yeah you're rite NOS is a brand, but you're wrong where you said its all in one hit and it breaks stuff... It all depends on what motor is setup to withold..Compression, bottom end, all that stuff... I've got a 90lx with a stock bottom end stock block on a 175 shot, built with heads, cam, intake, headers, so on, and on... And its ran like a champ for the past 3yrs, "its not from the HIT its from the type of setups, and ignorance"
Your an idiot... Nitrous "shocks" the motor.. Its an instant step in power..

Turbos spool, centri. blowers build boost with rpm, etc.. Nitrous just flat comes on all at once, and IT IS HARD ON PARTS..
post #10 of 140 Old 09-06-2007, 11:31 PM

If you never have had a turbo car you can't understand the difference. when I had juice I always thought that the turbo guys were stupid for spending all that money. I tried it on a old mustang that I had but I made the kit myself for about $500. It wasn't completly correct or pretty but it worked. From my experience, if you like racing every weekend then stay nitrous. Nitrous parts are everywhere. Turbo parts are a little harder to find. If you go turbo then you will never care to drive any other power adder out there. I used to love the juice but now, if it ain't turbo then it's just a waste of time. I don't care if you run 2 stage 300hp and 250hp shot it just feels mediocre. I know because I have tried. Just check my sig. It's true!

I leave my bottle at home for the baby.
post #11 of 140 Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 PM

i've ridden in all 3 "sc'd, turbo'ed, and juiced", and own a juiced and built lx... Yeah its fun on the streets, by no means not a daily driver, but just a weekend warrior. But its all in what a car owner is goin for, and how deep their pockets are. Yeah you guys may say you built your own, but what about tuning,and the after affects like boost leaks and all that? Yeah n20 guys have problems as well, but for me the only ones i've had were a clogged injector "injector failure", and i blew a lower intake gasket "over rev due to missin a shift"... "easy fix but yeah down time". But i understand where you guys are coming, and different ppl have different preferences. I love the sound of a S-trim sc'r, and the sound of a turbo, but also the instant hit of nitrous. And yeah turbos are efficient with power and stayin cool, thats why my car is a weekend warrior setup for the 1/8th "it heats up, kinda slow on motor"..Its all in what have and what you want it to be...

Last edited by NVR2fast90; 09-07-2007 at 04:33 PM.
post #12 of 140 Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVR2fast90 View Post
i've ridden in all 3 "sc'd, turbo'ed, and juiced", and own a juiced and built lx... Yeah its fun on the streets, by no means not a daily driver, but just a weekend warrior. But its all in what a car owner is goin for, and how deep their pockets are. Yeah you guys may say you built your own, but what about tuning,and the after affects like boost leaks and all that? Yeah n20 guys have problems as well, but for me the only ones i've had were a clogged injector "injector failure", and i blew a lower intake gasket "over rev due to missin a shift"... "easy fix but yeah down time". But i understand where you guys are coming, and different ppl have different preferences. I love the sound of a S-trim sc'r, and the sound of a turbo, but also the instant hit of nitrous. And yeah turbos are efficient with power and stayin cool, thats why my car is a weekend warrior setup for the 1/8th "it heats up, kinda slow on motor"..Its all in what have and what you want it to be...
Punctuation is a foreign object to this post. I can't understand a damn thing you just tried to convey..
post #13 of 140 Old 09-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Your an idiot... Nitrous "shocks" the motor.. Its an instant step in power..

Turbos spool, centri. blowers build boost with rpm, etc.. Nitrous just flat comes on all at once, and IT IS HARD ON PARTS..
All 3 poweradders can be hard on parts. Most will agree that it's all in the tune. A supercharger or turbo running on maxx boost can hurt parts just as easily. I run a 175 shot of Nitrous Oxide on a good tune and no broke parts.

Needless to say if I had the money I would go turbo in a heartbeat. Turbo technology is unbelievable in todays market.
post #14 of 140 Old 09-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE93GT View Post
All 3 poweradders can be hard on parts. Most will agree that it's all in the tune. A supercharger or turbo running on maxx boost can hurt parts just as easily. I run a 175 shot of Nitrous Oxide on a good tune and no broke parts.

Needless to say if I had the money I would go turbo in a heartbeat. Turbo technology is unbelievable in todays market.
Your missing my point.. a centri. blower won't all at once smack the motor with full boost at any given rpm.. the increase in power (cylinder pressure) "rolls" on..

Nitrous DOES NOT. ITS ON OR OFF.

Invision someone shoving you in the chest and then invision someone cocking back and punching you in the chest. Thats the difference between other power adders and nitrous..
post #15 of 140 Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 PM

When you guys are talking about "shocking" the motor/parts, do you turbo/supercharger guys launch at like 2,000 rpms?

I launch off the limiter on a 150 shot, just like I launch off the limiter when i'm not running the nitrous.

THe only "hit" you experience with nitrous is if you're out doing some 40-60mph roll races with the local ricers with 1.8L motors and T88 turbo's on them.

Like I read above, I would go with either a turbo or a roots/screw blower........if I had the money. A simple V8 EFI kit is just too cheap to pass up and for the few times I use or need it, it fits MY needs.
post #16 of 140 Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Your missing my point.. a centri. blower won't all at once smack the motor with full boost at any given rpm.. the increase in power (cylinder pressure) "rolls" on..

Nitrous DOES NOT. ITS ON OR OFF.

Invision someone shoving you in the chest and then invision someone cocking back and punching you in the chest. Thats the difference between other power adders and nitrous..
I see the point you are trying to make. However we're not all "idiots" on the corral. Go google "progressive controller" and get back to us. I think it's envision, btw.
post #17 of 140 Old 09-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Or "2 stage nitrous kits".
post #18 of 140 Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 PM

Turbo > *

I've had experiences with all 3 power adders.

NOTHING COMPARES TO A TURBO.

Turn a dial for more power.

Using wasted energy (heat from exhuast) to make power

Easier on engine

etc etc

1999 Mustang Cobra MMR 1500 5.4 DOHC
898/779rwtq 14psi 17deg timing E85
post #19 of 140 Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM

The 'hard hit' is hell on rotating assembly.

An awesome tuner can tune around it, though. Since your basically adding O2 with Nitrous a good tunner can remove timing/add fuel so power comes on much like a blower/turbo does...

you dont have the instant 'shock' that you typically have with a nitrous kit...

post #20 of 140 Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 AM

If it's going to be a daily driver/weekend warrior, then hands down go turbo. They are more reliable, make more power, easier on your engine and way more cool. How many times have you seen/heard of a nitrous'd vehicle blowing up? Go to a NMRA race and you see them pop all the time. The stress "shock" everyone here is talking about is very real and not worth it. Go turbocharged.

-Dave-

93 Calypso notch... Built 306 H/C/I etc... Runs 11.9's
post #21 of 140 Old 09-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Never will see the numbers of a Nitrous setup that Turbos make.

Last edited by Sic5OhhSC; 09-11-2007 at 07:39 PM.
post #22 of 140 Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I would say YOU should probably go with the spray. Why? Because your car will probably be way too fast for you if you go turbo

BTW, when you finally get your nitrous setup going, you can come get some of this - https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hlight=730rwhp

qikazz

'91 mod motor, turbocharged notchback, mid-8s... (SOLD)
'91 331ci GT, twin 76mm turbos, hopefully mid-7s...
'03 Evo, 2.0L, 68mm turbo, AWD street terror, mid-9s
post #23 of 140 Old 09-12-2007, 02:36 PM

Why is it that nitrous cars make more torque than an awesome turbo?
post #24 of 140 Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
Why is it that nitrous cars make more torque than an awesome turbo?
If you've seen numerous dyno graphs from nitrous cars as I have, you'll notice that the initial torque spike is often quite significant the moment that the nitrous is engaged. But it continually tapers off from that point. That's why nitrous cars typically don't run the back-half of the track like a turbo car.

Turbo cars, on the other hand, will also see very large torque numbers (in fact, many see more torque than they do horsepower when dynoed), numbers that look very much like a nitrous car. The difference is that there will be no tapering off of torque with the turbo.

Let me tell you, when I leave off the transbrake with 15lbs of boost, and go 1.40 60fts with the wheels up in the air on a drag radial, it feels just like a nitrous car leaving on a 200shot. The difference is that my car will continue to pull harder the farther I get down the track, which is certainly NOT true of your typical nitrous car.

qikazz

qikazz

post #25 of 140 Old 09-12-2007, 05:40 PM

The initial torque "spike", as you call it, is what gets 3,000+lbs of car moving.

Are we racing like like top speed racing or something? For 1/8th or 1/4 mile stuff(especially 1/8th mile), it's hard to beat a nitrous car.
post #26 of 140 Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Like I read above, I would go with either a turbo or a roots/screw blower........if I had the money.

Well, your quote above just about sums it all up, doesn't it?

I'm done wasting time with you on this.

qikazz

post #27 of 140 Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 PM

Yea, thanks for giving us your vast knowledge. You're an asset here for sure.

The reason I said the turbo/roots thing above was money related. After having the bang for the buck nitrous education, it'd be hard for me to switch.

Lets remember this intelligent statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qikazz View Post
I would say YOU should probably go with the spray. Why? Because your car will probably be way too fast for you if you go turbo

Last edited by 2k2GT; 09-12-2007 at 09:38 PM.
post #28 of 140 Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Yea, thanks for giving us your vast knowledge. You're an asset here for sure.

The reason I said the turbo/roots thing above was money related. After having the bang for the buck nitrous education, it'd be hard for me to switch.

Lets remember this intelligent statement:

Have you ever heard of sarcasm? Gentle ribbing of someone? Did you not notice the smiley at the end of the statement? This is the TURBO forum, or are you too stupid to see that?

qikazz

post #29 of 140 Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM

Stupid? You're the idiot that signs your stupid screen name at the end of your idiotic replies. Are you too stupid to see that it shows up on top of your avatar? Hell, you even signed your name TWICE on one reply. Were you unsure or just dumb? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that question as well.
post #30 of 140 Old 09-13-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Stupid? You're the idiot that signs your stupid screen name at the end of your idiotic replies. Are you too stupid to see that it shows up on top of your avatar? Hell, you even signed your name TWICE on one reply. Were you unsure or just dumb? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that question as well.
Is this really the best that you can come up with? Is this all you have to say? We are in a car forum talking about nitrous and turbo cars, and you're worried about me signing me screen name at the end of my post, or the fact that it was on there twice? So what. Who cares. Don't you have something else to worry about? You must really have a pathetic life if this is the type of thing you spend time thinking about...

qikazz
qikazz
qikazz

post #31 of 140 Old 09-13-2007, 05:46 PM

I'm not the one jerkin' off over a turbo car and thinks it's the most awesome thing ever invented.

I realize this is the turbo forum, but you seem as about as turbo-nutswinging as the little Honda 4-bangers do.

Wonder why you always hear the turbo guys needing "good air" to be able to run down the nitrous cars? They must not be as smart as you are, there is no other explanation obviously.
post #32 of 140 Old 09-13-2007, 11:56 PM

Turbo power just doesnt make sense unless you have experienced it for yourself. I'm not trying to be esoteric here....but it's the truth

Take the red pill!!

post #33 of 140 Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 AM

2k2GT vs qikazz

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.
post #34 of 140 Old 09-14-2007, 06:26 AM

I'm not trying to convince the turbo forum that nitrous is better. Thats stupid and not even true.

I'm just saying that I don't see why a properly setup nitrous kit, is any better or worse than a properly setup turbo or supercharger setup.

I said in a previous post that IF I HAD THE MONEY, i'd like to have a roots/screw blower or a turbo setup. For those that don't have the money, we can attain equivelent results with nitrous. We just have other variables we hafta monitor like bottle temperature and pressure, filling the bottle and solenoid quality.

This holds especially true on very mild street apps. where an 8,000$ COMPLETE turbo kit on a Modular Motor will make say 400/400 on single digit boost. I have a 800$ nitrous kit making 400/500 on a 150 shot.

It's just a matter of money and convenience.
post #35 of 140 Old 09-14-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
For those that don't have the money, we can attain equivelent results with nitrous. We just have other variables we hafta monitor like bottle temperature and pressure, filling the bottle and solenoid quality.

This holds especially true on very mild street apps. where an 8,000$ COMPLETE turbo kit on a Modular Motor will make say 400/400 on single digit boost. I have a 800$ nitrous kit making 400/500 on a 150 shot.

It's just a matter of money and convenience.
equivelent results? not really...

The original thread poster has an 89 and is putting a small block v8 in it. no modular motor. You can turn your headers around, fab a turbo or two in there and have more power than your 150 shot, and have the power ALL the time for probably what you spent on your "NOS" kit with all the goodies. And with a turbo you don't "hafta" spend MORE money filling up a bottle that sits inside your car that is HIGHLY explosive!!!!!!!!!!!

I know someone here's seen a pic of a car that's had a nitrous tank blow up...

-Dave-

93 Calypso notch... Built 306 H/C/I etc... Runs 11.9's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement