Ford Mustang Forums banner

going twin turbo

2K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  MOOVS 
#1 ·
can you guys post pics of yout TT turbo fox's.

Im putting them ona 331 with edelbrock heads and aintake and a stage 2 tfs cam, with 14psi could i get 550rwhp?

#2 ·
it depends on the total setup. On the 408 we had it made 765rwhp on 13psi with a 88mm on pump gas. On your setup, your going to crack the block before you run out of power.

#4 ·
Chances, your novi 1000 will make well over 500, if not then the motor isnt right. I made almost 500 with a 302 shortblock and you have a 331. The 3.00/8.00 on a 331 will make 550 EASY. Get a good tuner and let it rip. No need to be a dyno queen, get it together and enjoy it.

#18 ·
apparently who ever you talked to doesn't know what their doing. I run twin 70mm on a stock block 87... I run 14psi on race gas at the track and have over a hundred passes on it. The car has ported e7 heads with a comp cam, cobra intake, felpro mls head gaskets and arp head studs. I run an msd digital 6 and a c&l 80mm maf with 42lb injectors. The car dynos 546 to the rear wheels through a t5... I have not cracked my block!! Please educate yourself before speaking

#11 ·
Less chance of cracking the block with the turbos as you can keep the revs down, JMO
oh stage 2 cam??? you might want to put the stocker back in???

#13 ·
You will be able to make 550 hp, but I don't know if 14 psi will get you their. anyways heres a few pics of my setup. I did this as a Senior Design Project for College. I put a link to my build pg on Turbo Mustangs and my School website too.

Front View

A few shots of the engine bay

#15 ·
the two turbos on my car are .50/.63 T3/T4 hybrid knockoffs... I know that these would supply more than enough air to make the power levels you are looking for... so I would say that your .60/.63's are more than enough to achieve 550hp, and those extra 25 cubic inches over mine will help them spool up at a decent rpm.

#26 ·
Yeah,I wonder if MOOV'S car is driven on the street.I hope thats an aftermarket block.It must be a blast to drive with those number's.Im debating right now between a 408W or a 302,351 Turbo set up.

#28 ·
NOS5- this is 100% street car with more than 10k on the street with no issues other than traction on my nitto's, this is a daily driver, rain and all!!!

Adam 351- I built the whole set-up my self no kit here.

#31 ·
These are IHIs from 87/88 turbo coupes. 426/520 at 23 degrees timing. Swithched a few things and now have 417/502 at 18 degrees timing. Both with about 10-11 psi on the gauge.
Erich

#34 ·
I running a 255 in-tank and base pressure is 45psi, the dyno#'s are still showing pig rich on the A/F chart till around 4700 then it levels out to 11.6 .
The torque # would be over 700rwtq if I could lean it out a bit down at 4000rpm, a custom chip would help but it still runs fine for now.
still thinking about going back to the dyno to turn it up a little, I wondering if the mustang dyno I was on was out of calibration as I think I should be trapping higher.
just a hunch????

#36 · (Edited)
Are you compensating for your methanol? Methanol is stoich at approximately 6.4:1. You can't pour methanol into it and then tune it like straight gasoline. Methanol is a fuel, not a bandaid. It has to be treated like a fuel.

As for the person who wanted the 255 comment extrapolated:

Say a walbro moves about 255lph at 43.5psi (like it's rated to do) - well you throw 15 pounds of boost on top of your 45 pound base and you're operating the pump at 60psi. From what I've seen a Walbro will generally move about 225lph @ 60psi.

What is 225lph worth? Well you have to calculate mass flow. Lets say the fuel you're running has a .725 specific gravity, that would mean your fuel weighs approximately 6.05lb/gal, so mass flow is 358.2lb/hr. If you were running an 11.5:1 AFR, then your engine is going to be using approximately 68.66lb/min of airflow. Using Ray Hall's numbers, (10.83*lb/min of air = engine hp) that's about 743.6hp. Times .80 for drivetrain loss (this obviously will vary, a good manual could be less a TH400 will be more) and you've got 594.9whp

So yes, it can make power, but you quickly run into the limits of it. If you start approaching 70psi or higher you're really running out of flow.

#37 ·
I'm running a mail order piggy back on the stock a9l but it's not very close on the fuel, I just like having the timing retard biult into the computer rather than relying on the btm all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.